Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984-1989 Nissan 300ZX conversions. Are they out there.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984-1989 Nissan 300ZX conversions. Are they out there.

I have a 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo with a blown motor and I want to swap in an LS1 motor in the future. I've seen these swaps done in the Datsun Z cars but I feel it our turn in the Z31 300ZX motor swap community. My question is has anyone here or anywhere done the swap successfully and what needs to be done to make it happen? I know there is custom fab involved but I want to know about anything else like firewall movement and such. And though I am a noob, I did search like a good boy so time out on your flaming. But, I'm just a horsepower junkie just wanting to better my car. Thank You For Your Help.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Staging Lane

I had '84NA, '86Turbo and '87Turbo before I got into my TA, so I'm very interested in your project. Would love to see the Z31 with LS1. I'll always have a soft spot for the Datsun/Nissan Zs. Please keep me informed of your progress if you move forward with this. My old 87 turbo. Sometimes I really miss that car, but usually only until I mash the gas in my TA
Old 12-17-2007, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Nah. No flaming because you pose a unique question. As in the z32, you would probably have to move the firewall back a few inches in order to get the LS1 to fit. The reason there's so many LS1 Datsun swaps is that it's pretty easy to fit the LS1 in that long *** engine bay. The z31 is a different story. But I suppose if people manage to fit VGs in there, the LS1 swap is probably doable. If you're serious about the swap I'd check out the following couple of sites: http://z31.com/forum/, http://www.z31performance.com/ and of course, http://www.Hybridz.com/. In addition, taking a look at some of the z32 swaps would probably give you a better idea of what's involved. Try searching "z32" or "z32 swap" on this message board. I know that there's a couple out there.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9540x
Nah. No flaming because you pose a unique question. As in the z32, you would probably have to move the firewall back a few inches in order to get the LS1 to fit. The reason there's so many LS1 Datsun swaps is that it's pretty easy to fit the LS1 in that long *** engine bay. The z31 is a different story. But I suppose if people manage to fit VGs in there, the LS1 swap is probably doable. If you're serious about the swap I'd check out the following couple of sites: http://z31.com/forum/, http://www.z31performance.com/ and of course, http://www.Hybridz.com/. In addition, taking a look at some of the z32 swaps would probably give you a better idea of what's involved. Try searching "z32" or "z32 swap" on this message board. I know that there's a couple out there.
Yeah, I'm a member of all three. With the exception of Hybrid Z, the rest have a bunch of elitist purists on their forums so I feel more at home here.
That and the Z31 swap section on Hybrid Z sems to be run by the C.I.A. cause that swap seems to be G14 Classified. No one's talking and if there's a way to shock someone's nuts over the web I'd like to know how. lol

But, while I was searching, I came across someone on the board whom I think is called "hpperfromance" and saw pictures of a black Z31 with a 5.3 LS in it. Does anyone know if he's still on here or have any knowledge of his swap being completed or what? There is no more aftermarket for my car and trying to keep the stock motor alive is a bitch since there is no more aftermarket for it. After doing all the math of keeping and modding the stock VG I've come to the conclusion that the LS swap is more reliable. The Z32's I have bad luck with those cars and I prefer the smaller Z31 chassis cause they're dirt cheap and finding a good solid Datsun is a challenge nowadays. I already know there is going to be some custom fab involved but I'm just hoping I won't have to touch my firewall cause there is a lot of space in the engine bay once you get that big OHC motor out of it. Oh, here is the link to the post I was referring to. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=300zx

Last edited by Small Block Mafioso; 12-17-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Oh, forgot to mention that the swap is going to be done at the local community college so the only thing I'm burning money on is parts and my tuition. lol
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

I'm 99% positive I've seen at least one Z31 swap done, but I can't think where I saw it. I'll do some searching and see what I can dig up, but it CAN and HAS been done.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Teching In

there's a guy somewhere on Z31performance that was looking into doing it.

small blocks have been done plenty of times, I was going to do one just before I bought a 944. The trickiest part of the entire conversion is getting around the steering shaft. I'm sure it can be done with some U-joint magic, but it may set you back some coin.

also, if you've got a limited slip I've seen the clutches sheared off at the teeth, and the axle stubs will break left and right after repeated clutch drops. Both can be fixed, but again it's all about time and $$$
Old 12-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TYR_FRYR
I had '84NA, '86Turbo and '87Turbo before I got into my TA, so I'm very interested in your project. Would love to see the Z31 with LS1. I'll always have a soft spot for the Datsun/Nissan Zs. Please keep me informed of your progress if you move forward with this. My old 87 turbo. Sometimes I really miss that car, but usually only until I mash the gas in my TA
Oh, how rude of me dude. I love your old 300ZX Turbo. It is super clean and those wheels set it off perfect. I won' dissapoint, I'll also have a write up of the swap once it's completed.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean Z31 my friend. I had an 86t on 13psi with an a/w intercooler and a 100 shop that ran 12.8's before my ss.

The LS1 swap has been talked about numerous times but no one ever does it. Believe it or not the VG30et is a very good platform to work on. There are plenty of guys making 400 and 500+ hp. You may know Satan from z31performance... he has a GT42 on his and I think he was talking about 700-800hp.

There arent alot of people with the v8 swap because the vg has been proven good enough over and over again. But... it just so turns out that my girlfriends dad owns an 87 with an old small block in it. That car is a 10 second monster.
Name:  ambers021.jpg
Views: 6414
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  ambers018.jpg
Views: 6178
Size:  59.3 KB
Name:  ambers014.jpg
Views: 5587
Size:  39.4 KB

and here is a picture of mine if you are interested.
Name:  DSC03106.jpg
Views: 7611
Size:  70.9 KB
Old 12-19-2007, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

I guess it can be done, but if I had the time, determination and money (most important part) I'd build this car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWuzLGc-7-I&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DqfNAGFCVU&NR=1

I remember watching this video back in 1999 or 2000 and just loving it.

I can still remember the owner and search for it when times like this come up. Bad *** setup.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Clean Z31 my friend. I had an 86t on 13psi with an a/w intercooler and a 100 shop that ran 12.8's before my ss.

The LS1 swap has been talked about numerous times but no one ever does it. Believe it or not the VG30et is a very good platform to work on. There are plenty of guys making 400 and 500+ hp. You may know Satan from z31performance... he has a GT42 on his and I think he was talking about 700-800hp.

There arent alot of people with the v8 swap because the vg has been proven good enough over and over again. But... it just so turns out that my girlfriends dad owns an 87 with an old small block in it. That car is a 10 second monster.

and here is a picture of mine if you are interested.
Dude!!! Those Z's are super clean!!! And I've gotta find out more about your gf's fathers car. Like what tranny and rear diff is he using and what problems did he come across like fitment issues and such? I love the VG's and I know the potential of them. I just don't have the money for the VG's maintenence and it is a bitch for me to find parts for it. So, I'm upgrading to a more reliable motor. If I had bank for the VG's maintenence I'd do a monster VG30ET in a heartbeat. Basically, the VG has become my rotary in this case.

Last edited by Small Block Mafioso; 12-20-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Teching In

I used to have an 88 n/a until a few years ago. Although not the fastest car on the road, with an intake, exhaust, aftermarket suspension and a 5 speed it was a blast to drive. It was my second car, but the first one I actually bought while in high school (first was a hand-me-down) so there will always be a place for it in my heart. I had a good run with it from 1999-2004. I put more time/energy into fixing/maintaining that car than I care to estimate... rear main seal, clutch, new transmission, etc... you name it I probably had to do it.

I would still have it if it wasn't for a minor accident that happened to bend the frame. I replaced the entire front crossmember and took it to an alignment shop but they said the frame was too far out of whack to get it aligned right. I ended up selling it for parts. When the person was done molesting the car it probably ended up at a salvage yard... a fate you never wish for your once-prized posession.

Now I'm in the process of a frame-off project that will result in a LS1/T56 in a 72 Corvette, but part of me wishes I was doing the swap into my beloved Z31. I saw the video of Darius' 240Z a long time ago and I could only dream of such a swap in my car. I was in college so I had neither the time or the money to do it.

I fully support your decision to add some american muscle to an old Z31, but unfortunately I can't offer any help. I'll just keep an eye on this thread (if you go through with it) and follow as you do the swap I never could.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

If you guys like Darius's 240Z before you should see it now! I'm a new member here but over on www.hybridz.org I'm a long time member(80LT1). Darius now has a widebody kit, FR1(I think that's the model...) Procharger, HUGE dished rims and a full cage! The car is truely a work of art! LOOK AT THESE PICS!

My car doesn't have an LS1 but it does have an LT1. Its a 1980 280ZX... http://www.datsun-280zx-lt1.com/Recent_pics.html

I don't think anyone has done and LSx conversion in a Z31. There are a few Z32 LSx cars running around. I know the firewall wasn't moved at all for those. It actually fits very nicely in there.

Join hybridz if you haven't already and do some searching. If it's been done someone on hybridz will know for sure!

Guy
Old 12-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Teching In

I did a 86 300z.A carb motor fits great.LS1 tunnel would have to be raised.My 91 300z was a nightmare.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just do an LS1 carb motor? Anything else would be beyond me. I sent you another pm mafioso, but the comp messed up after I sent it, did you not get it? I would really like to see you follow thru with this.

Oh and I love your car 1980lt1. Saw it over on hybrid z. I was looking at getting a hybrid s30 before my ss, but couldnt come up with the cash and needed to finance a car. One of these days I am going to get me one.

For help with the swap I would stay here, and definatley get on hybridz as well.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Why not just do an LS1 carb motor? Anything else would be beyond me. I sent you another pm mafioso, but the comp messed up after I sent it, did you not get it? I would really like to see you follow thru with this.

Oh and I love your car 1980lt1. Saw it over on hybrid z. I was looking at getting a hybrid s30 before my ss, but couldnt come up with the cash and needed to finance a car. One of these days I am going to get me one.

For help with the swap I would stay here, and definatley get on hybridz as well.
Sadly, no I never got another message. But I've been thinking about going carb on a Vortec 5300 or 6000 from a Hummer H2. Just I don't want to chop up my hood if I do. Oh, been thinking of going automatic instead of manual on it bcause I discovered an aftermarket F1 paddle shifter system. But I want to know what automatic transmission bolts up to the 5.3 LSX? BTW, you'v got another PM dude.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Teching In

the ls1 is taller and longer.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BAD240Z
the ls1 is taller and longer.
Maybe, but there's no clearance issues with the hood opposed to a carb motor. I've seen the test fit on a Z31 here but the posts were never updated. Guess the guy lost interest. I've also noticed that all other Z31 build threads were never finished.

Quick Reply: 1984-1989 Nissan 300ZX conversions. Are they out there.