Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS wire splicing

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So it might not be factoryNow its packing a 1995 4.3L / 4l60e. Fit like a glove..well except the air cleaner. I`m still working on that part. The hood kinda bends over it. Theres pics on my f-quick\/ \/
Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G-Body
I think I see a solution here, but let me try to figure out exactly what you are doing here.

1. You ahve a LSx motor and PCM?
2. You have a 4l80e....is that a LSx 4l80e and your trying to control it with the LSx PCM or are you also keeping your computer from the old motor to run the trans?

You are looking for a 2000PPM signal for cruise and a 4000ppm for the speedo, is there anything else you are trying to get a signal too??
Nope, not an LSx.... I have a 98 Vortec 454 I'm ditching the old computer and using the new Vortec 454 computer to run the engine and transmission. All I'm wanting to send the signal to is the PCM, Speedo and Cruise Control.

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
The DRAC is built into the cluster from 88-90,(91?) The couple of older fullsize trucks that I have done the retrofit in I left the cluster controlling the cruise. Then spliced the high and low speed sensor output heading to cluster direcly to the VSS wiring heading to the new LSX pcm. Neither will ever know they are piggy backed with anything else. The trans shifted correctly, and the vss and cruise functioned perfectly and it did not need adaptors and was pretty straight forward.
I'll have to crack open my 1998 manual and see PPM the new PCM is looking for. If they are looking for the same number we'll be set!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

It's gm they all use the same ppm for the vss.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
The DRAC is built into the cluster from 88-90,(91?) The couple of older fullsize trucks that I have done the retrofit in I left the cluster controlling the cruise. Then spliced the high and low speed sensor output heading to cluster direcly to the VSS wiring heading to the new LSX pcm. Neither will ever know they are piggy backed with anything else. The trans shifted correctly, and the vss and cruise functioned perfectly and it did not need adaptors and was pretty straight forward.
Well when I did something similar, I ended up with a speedo that would read 120 mph while I was doing 20 mph.......

the speedo is looking for a 4k ppm, not 40k ppm that the LSx PCM is looking for.

Reading that diagram, it looks like the speedo and cruise both use a 4k input, which would make life easy. I wonder if I can use that cruise control 'brain' in my thirdgen. It would make life a lot easier for me!

btw, you don't need a dakota box. The PCM's speedo output is 4k, just not sure where to find the other signal from

-jason

Quick Reply: VSS wire splicing