Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with idle/vacuum problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with idle/vacuum problem

I finally drove my car for the first time yesterday. What a great feeling that was. It runs good going down the road. My problem is it won't idle. The motor is stock except for the hotcam. I have a Speartech harness and PCM mods. He set the idle speed in park at 850. If I let the car sit for a day or two and then start it up sometimes it will idle good. But as soon as I give it some gas it will no longer idle for the rest of the day. It acts like there is not enough vacuum as the brakes feel like they are getting very little also. I have the small port on the back of the intake and the big port on the drivers side of the throttle body plugged off. The big port on the back of the intake is going to the brake booster. Do you guys have any ideas how I can get this thing to idle? I appreciate any help you can give me. I really want to start driving this thing. Thanks, John
Old 07-07-2003, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: help with idle/vacuum problem

You need to perform the idle learn procedure. Start it and run it without touching the throttle until it reaches 176 degrees. Then let it idle there for 5 minutes and shut if off for 30 seconds. Something like that. It is spelled out here somewhere or in you Helms manuals.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: help with idle/vacuum problem

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that a couple of times. I think I just need to find a good tuning shop around here if there are any. Thanks, John