Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 to old school 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Why bother with 3rd gen parts...the 4th gen's came with LT1's...those are "gen 2's" but they're the same as gen 1's for headers...and you KNOW they'll fit the car. 1993-1997 dude.

oopps, well, i'm old and of the opinion that the last good camaro was '69.
(oh...... i'm gonna burn in hell for that one)
Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to go to a mustang site and say the last and only good one was the 69 BB Mach 1.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

You can do a big cam and good heads like that are in Camaro and run 10's on pump gas and high 9's on nitrous and avoid some old skool combo. Up to you. My Camaro dynoed 420rwhp with a 8" converter and a T400, probably 500 at the crank. I'm changing the converter to a more motor converter and the car should easily go 10.7's.

View Video on FQuick
Old 01-18-2008, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

im not building a drag car guys lol its just im about to make some money and i still want to drive the car but i was wondering if there were engine and tranny mount kits and headers out there stuff like that
Old 02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

so , what did you figure out to do ? i hope you didn't let these LSx snobs talk you out of going old school to make the car useful. ( I mean that in the nicest way, no really, yes, i do,....)
Old 02-25-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by classic gary
so , what did you figure out to do ? i hope you didn't let these LSx snobs talk you out of going old school to make the car useful. ( I mean that in the nicest way, no really, yes, i do,....)
I've had classic GM muscle and the new "snobbey" LS stuff. Hands down the LS engines are the way to go. My '70 chevelle SS w/ a 1050 dom., alum edelbrock heads, solid lifter cam, and 11:1 comp made 550 at the crank. Through a M21 and a 4.10 geared 12 bolt i'm sure I was right in the ballpark RWHP wise with my '01 SS. The big diff. is the Chevelle was completely unrefined, difficult to start in anything but ideal weather, would run hot if in traffic, was speed limited on the highway, got single didgit fuel economy, among other short comings. My '01 SS is a refined fully modern machine that is a blast to drive, handles and stops brilliantly, makes comperable power with less mods and cubic inches, gets high 20MPG on the highway w/ 4.10's, and will cruise all day in comfort. In fact my '99 SS w/ an iron 408 made 538@the wheels NA...add in a 150 shot and that car is on hell of a weapon! To make that kind of power NA w/ a gen. I SBC the car would be extremely high strung and completely undrivable on the street. The great thing about the LS series is the ease of modification, incredible response to modification, and small penalty to driveability when modified. Do what you want w/ your car, but selling the original drivetrain and swapping a gen. I in does not make a great deal of sense. If you have an engine waiting in the wings, why not buy a 3rd gen. and do your swap? Food for thought,
Old 02-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rowin Gearz
I've had classic GM muscle and the new "snobbey" LS stuff. Hands down the LS engines are the way to go. My '70 chevelle SS w/ a 1050 dom., alum edelbrock heads, solid lifter cam, and 11:1 comp made 550 at the crank. Through a M21 and a 4.10 geared 12 bolt i'm sure I was right in the ballpark RWHP wise with my '01 SS. The big diff. is the Chevelle was completely unrefined, difficult to start in anything but ideal weather, would run hot if in traffic, was speed limited on the highway, got single didgit fuel economy, among other short comings. My '01 SS is a refined fully modern machine that is a blast to drive, handles and stops brilliantly, makes comperable power with less mods and cubic inches, gets high 20MPG on the highway w/ 4.10's, and will cruise all day in comfort. In fact my '99 SS w/ an iron 408 made 538@the wheels NA...add in a 150 shot and that car is on hell of a weapon! To make that kind of power NA w/ a gen. I SBC the car would be extremely high strung and completely undrivable on the street. The great thing about the LS series is the ease of modification, incredible response to modification, and small penalty to driveability when modified. Do what you want w/ your car, but selling the original drivetrain and swapping a gen. I in does not make a great deal of sense. If you have an engine waiting in the wings, why not buy a 3rd gen. and do your swap? Food for thought,
so true everything he said. it just wouldnt make sense to me to do what your trying to do. but i guess if you dont like good gas mileage and lots of power all in one well then sell the ls1.

you could always put a carb on the ls1 is your scared of the fuel injection.

sounds like you have a lot of sbc stuff you should sell that CRAP and use the money from that on the ls1.

unless the car is going to be a race car ONLY it would make me sick to see a sbc in a ls1 car but you said you were going to drive it around like a street car. idk do what you want really but it just doesnt make since
Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go ahead and do it. You'll change your mind. I'm doing the exact opposite. I removed about a 450hp pontiac 400 and my brand new built TH400 from my 68 to install the superior engine. I got my 2000 complete engine with 241 heads for $710 on ebay 60k miles on it. I sold it down to the longblock and basically paid $200 for an LS1 longblock with 241s. Just find a nice local pick up only auction and do some driving.

I'm going carbed for the same reason of not being too keen on fuel injection but absolutely crazy for a <400lb engine, 15 degree heads, 6 bolt mains, 6 speed that allows me to run 4.56s and 30" slicks and daily drive it without spinning 4,000rpm on the highway, and a distributorless 8 coil igniton. intake is $285, MSD ignition that runs off the stock coils and cam/crank sensors with fully adjustable timing based on the MAP sensor and is only like $312, Old school smell with new style power, reliability, weight savings and just all around bad assness.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by THEBRAD
this will probably get moved, but has anyone taken out the the ls1 and replaced it with say a 1976 350? im might be getting anouther t/a and was going to sell the motor trans computer and wiring harness to my buddy and wanted to know if any put old school lumpy carbed motor into a 1998 or newer camaro firebird
Did you ever consider an old flathead V8? You can still find those around and decent prices.. If your going antique you might as well do it good.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah , that guy that said it was cheaper to build an LS1 than it was to build a SB1 is wrong on so many levels. And it says he was an engine builder???? I don't know if I would want him to build my engine. But why get rid of the LS1 anyway? You can carb an LS1 like that. I have one (and it was alot more money to build than the 355 I had) . Custom cam and carb with a turbo 350 ........I would build the LS1 though it is alot lighter and way more cool. BTW I have a brand new in box MSD cotroller for the carb setup on the LS1 I will let it go cheap( it is the one with the software not just the three rpm pills ) let me know with a pm if you want it....
Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Boosted1320
Did you ever consider an old flathead V8? You can still find those around and decent prices.. If your going antique you might as well do it good.
I was gong to make the Flathead comment also!

Leave the LS1 car alone. Put the gen1 in something older. It's just plain backward unless it is a pure race car. Even then I couldn't see it to be honest.

If you want to sell the LS1 to make money...throw a junkyard 5.3 back in it. It would be easier/faster/cheaper.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ignore the snobs and do what you want. its your car right? and instead of everyone giving their opinions (wich he did not ask for) ......

lt1 motor mounts and headers are the same as sbc, so if you use lt1 stuff it should drop right in.

Quick Reply: ls1 to old school 350