Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Demon Carb- throttle cable help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Demon Carb- throttle cable help?

hi there, if anyone can help i would appreciate it.
i have a BG demon carb, 750cfm for my kit car, using an Ls1 and GM performance intake. i have a GM type throttle cable, with a soldered nipple end which i need to hook up to the carb. (its not really an option to change the cable easily due to the route and install)

the BG carb has nothing supplied with it as a hook up to use my throttle cable with, the throttle linkage on the carb has a fairly large hole in it, which i believe accepts some form of swivel linkage.

i'll attach a picture showing my install, to make it easier than explaining, as i need to buy/make some form of adaptor to hook up my cable to the carb lever arm.

i'm using a proper bracket to hold the cable in place, which bolts to the carb, and the cable will pull nice and smoothly, but i suspect i need a fitting on the carb which rotates slightly to allow the cable to pull down the linkage in a smooth fashion without kinking it.

is there anything available off the shelf to suit my cable end as an adaptor or do i need to make my own?

based in the UK and the guy who supplied my BG carb doesnt have anything available other than for a different cable type with a ball joint end, which i dont have.

cheers for any help
Attached Thumbnails Demon Carb- throttle cable help?-019.jpg  
Old 01-17-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you'd normally use would be Holley part #20-2, Carburetor Throttle Ball Assortment, and the cable should have an end on it that pops on to the ball stud.

You didn't say what kind of cable you were trying to adapt to. Your other option would be to buy a universal Lokar cable--it'll come with a ball stud.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Regular

hi there
i'm stuck with the cable i ran /installed unfortunately, its a major pain to remove it and re-fit another due to the route involved. the end is bare, i cut off a soldered nipple. i had a look at the holley gear, it looks like that will fit the demon carb ok as its a 1/2 " dia. hole in the lever arm. i just need something now for the cable end to finish it with a press on ball joint etc?
cheers

ps got the car fired up this weekend for the first time, using hand throttle until it idled! big moment after 1 yr of building!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

not sure what your end looks like, but as said, holley has a kit with diff size ball ends-summit and jegs i think has some pics in their book of stuff, edelbrock might even have a kit of adapters
Old 01-21-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually use the 1/4" hole for the throttle, not the 1/2" hole. You can make either work, depends on how much travel you need. Anyway, I'm not sure where to get just a cable end. Bicycle stores probably have something that is basically a bolt with a hole drilled in it, and the nut clamps down on the cable, but that doesn't help you connect it to the throttle arm. And whatever mount you use needs to be able to rotate as the throttle arm moves so you aren't bending and fatiguing the cable. You might try Ace Hardware and NAPA and see if they have anything.

If you have a drill press, you could probably make something in less than an hour--basically a block that can pivot on a stud on the throttle arm, with a hole drilled through it for the cable, and a set screw perpendicular to the cable. See attached. I'd make the hole for the cable diagonal so you can extra cable sticking out the end while you are adjusting it and not have to worry about trying to feed a chewed up cable end through a small hole.
Attached Thumbnails Demon Carb- throttle cable help?-cable_end.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Order this part from Lokar, if you have cut the solder off the end of the cable.

http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/...d-small-fs.jpg
Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 AM
TECH Regular

cheers for all the replies, its given me enough info now to sort something. much appreciated. i want to drive the thing very very soon now its running ! :-)

Quick Reply: Demon Carb- throttle cable help?