Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smog legal

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog legal

First of all I have a 1979 chevy malibu that I would like to put a ls1 ls2 into it. Does any body know what I would need to do to make it pass emissions. I live in california where you need to pass a visual and a tailpipe test. I want to get all my info before I lay down some good money for the swap. I'd rather do this swap than build up my sbc 350 and spend close to the same amount of cash for 50 state legal parts. Has any one achieved this. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been the subject of many Threads and Post on this and many other Forums.

For you swap to be Legal in California, You will have to use a Engine, Equipement and ECM from a like class vehicle (Car, not Truck).

You will need all of the donors vehicle equipement that are related to the operation and function of all SMOG related codes both for functional testing and inspection. The means the Cats, sensors, EGR, AIR, Check Engine Light, if the donor vehicle has it or required it. So, if the donor vehicle was a 2000 year car.. you will be tested as that 2000 donor car.

Once you have all of the equipement installed and functional, You will then need to take it to a State Inspection/Referee station and they will inspect and test. If you pass they will then give you a certification (CARB) as passing and that future testing will be based on what it was certified as.

Some of the equipement that you will need (there is a lot more, but you get the idea):
CAT's
EVAP System
Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor
EGR system
AIR System
CEL/SES Light
ODBII Connector
ECM with the correct or matching VIN

It can be done and has been done. Just a hassle to do so. So Good Luck and keep us posted and document the process for others to use and follow.

It would also be a good idea to find a Referee that know his stuff and is willing to work with you. You will find different opions and interpretation of the rules and guide lines at each station/referee. They say to check them all out until you find one that will work with you and pass it.