Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats up with the AC, hope you have the answers

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like it has potential.
Mine is up and going, but I think you are better off going the direction you are going rather than waiting on me, as I don't think I am going to have anything for sale anytime soon.
If your setup runs into any snags, look for the brackets that kwik performance has. Geezer I think is one of the guys here on the board.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Very Helpfull! Thanks to all!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Teching In

pm sent thanks.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

subscribing
Kory
Old 12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
That's a mid 90-95 fs or s10 a/c mounting bracket. Are you using or wanting to use the new style truck compressor on your conversion. If so the truck compressor is not variable displacement and it will work fine. All you have to do is wire it up and go. I have used a couple of them in various swaps. Street and performance wants to sell you parts that they have.
How can you tell if the compressor is variable displacement? Was it an option on the 98-up GM vehicles?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Wow, I'm glad I ran across this thread. Very informative. I thought the a/c system was going to be easy after I got custom lines made, but apparently not!

I'm wondering the same thing 1976CamaroGuy is....how do you tell if your compressor is variable displacement? Mine is from a '98 F-Body
Old 12-09-2009, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonathan_ed3
Wow, I'm glad I ran across this thread. Very informative. I thought the a/c system was going to be easy after I got custom lines made, but apparently not!

I'm wondering the same thing 1976CamaroGuy is....how do you tell if your compressor is variable displacement? Mine is from a '98 F-Body
I don't think we are going to get an answer to this here, most people run aftermarket systems or no AC. I'm going to do some digging on google I guess.

I like the search function and use it a lot, but most times the answer is buried in a thread and I don't have the strength to go through 50 threads looking for it.

If I find something out I'll let you know
Old 12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Launching!

That's interesting that you say you like the search function. I hate (HATE) the search function of Vbulletin (which most forums use nowadays). It never returns relevant results, or like you said the search criteria is buried 20 pages deep into a certain thread.

What I've been doing lately is going to google and using the Advanced Search, and searching for my keywords within whatever forum I'm looking through.

So basically it uses google to search inside ls1tech..... returns much better than the internal forum search.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

based on the info 50adrod posted and knowing how my 05 silverado works, this is what I think. Basically the ECM uses a few pressure sensors to turn the compressor on and off. I know in my silverado with the defroster on you can hear the compressor cylcing on and off. This cycling may be what they mean by "variable displacement".

In my 68 C10, I'm using an F-body compressor with vette brackets on a 5.3L block. I have an Old Air A/C system and plan on using the wiring schematic of it to control the compressor, completely bypassing the ECM control of the compressor. Hopefully it will work out.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ac mount

hello to all. i thought about fabricating ac mounts, welding, goin' to the bone yard, buying the brackets(s10), and in my case i needed to buy a new compressor 'cause the the 5.3 compressor didnt clear the frame rails of my c10. so i did the math plus factored in my time + how it would look and said i'll just buy the setup from a vendor. total cost $400.00. google kwik performance. look for a sanden compressor(#508). its easier on the eyes and it leaves more time to drive your bowtie.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Jason,

Did you ever get your A/C set-up done? I have a Camaro motor as well and would like to find a more economical method to mount the AC Compressor on my engine that looks factory-ish.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pnhigg
Here are some pics of my compressor mounting.
The brackets are a little hard to see, and have not been painted.
I just finished up the test fit yesterday, and ran the truck for a while to make sure everything was on track.
So far so good.
They will obviously look better painted.
They are not show quality but do not look too bad either IMO.
BTW the pics with the radiator hose bent over is just to show the compressor.
There aren't any clearance issues with the hose
Thanks, I search for the a/c for 1991 Camaro. I found this post. It is helpful.. I want the 5.3L motor with A/C onto 1991 Camaro this spring-summer.
Next search for best header for 5.3L would fit in 1991 Camaro??

Last edited by Jeff Smith; 02-17-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Whats up with the AC, hope you have the answers