Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.....About CAI systems and high IAT

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default .....About CAI systems and high IAT

Our old cars have no room for this stuff! After struggling with very high intake air temps I finally was able to design and fabricate the required ducting to get those temps down to a manageable level. I was typically seeing 180-200 degree air......really murdered my tune although the car never really ran bad, I knew there was power to be had.

I found on both sides of the radiator a 2" wide, 9" tall area that would allow me to duct cooler air from around the sides of the radiator into my air box. With tubing and some 18 ga sheet metal, some ducts were formed for the grille shell and the air box, connected with flex of 2" diameter. My rough calculations proved to allow enough airflow if I did the same for both sides of the air box. Since these photos, I have powdercoated all the pieces in a semi gloss high temp powder.

I had to go do some "live" tuning (with my son operating the laptop) after everything was in place and found that we could add alot more timing and avoid knock sensor activity easily, still on pump gas.

It may look a little "industrial" but it works very well..........and function is what I was after.
Attached Thumbnails .....About CAI systems and high IAT-dsc02386-small-.jpg   .....About CAI systems and high IAT-dsc02387-small-.jpg   .....About CAI systems and high IAT-dsc02388-small-.jpg  
Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

Looks like a good idea, I wish I had at least that much room beside my grill shell, because I'd try that! But I don't even think I have a 1/2 inch.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice!

Quick Reply: .....About CAI systems and high IAT