Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 or LS1 swap into 1965 C10 Truck????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 or LS1 swap into 1965 C10 Truck????

I am in the process of purchasing a 1965 C10 stepside pickup truck. The 350 engine is blown and the best alternative is to put in an LS1 or a 5.3 Vortec.
I am going towards the 5.3 due to cheaper costs.
This new engines run with fuel injection and PCM's, How would I go about hooking all this up into this old truck???
Can I run a 93-97 Camaro 6 speed transmission to this engine?
Will I need everything that conects to the engine of the donor vehicle??

There are many questions but I think that as long as I have the stock PCM, engine wiring harness and sensors it would be OK. Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by peteracing90
I am in the process of purchasing a 1965 C10 stepside pickup truck. The 350 engine is blown and the best alternative is to put in an LS1 or a 5.3 Vortec.
I am going towards the 5.3 due to cheaper costs.
This new engines run with fuel injection and PCM's, How would I go about hooking all this up into this old truck???
Read FAQ Stickies
Can I run a 93-97 Camaro 6 speed transmission to this engine?
Yes, however it would need an 98+ input shaft/ Bell housing
Will I need everything that conects to the engine of the donor vehicle??
Depends what you mean by things that "connect". You can get these motors pretty well stripped down.

There are many questions but I think that as long as I have the stock PCM, engine wiring harness and sensors it would be OK. Thanks
Read in quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM

FAQ stickies??? I am new to this forum...
I've seen 5.3 truck engines in ebay with engine wiring harness, pcm, o2 sensors, etc... but will I have to run a factory style fuel pump, factoy fuse box, relays, etc...
Or would it be easier to run a carb and call it a day?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by peteracing90
FAQ stickies??? I am new to this forum...
I've seen 5.3 truck engines in ebay with engine wiring harness, pcm, o2 sensors, etc... but will I have to run a factory style fuel pump, factoy fuse box, relays, etc...
Or would it be easier to run a carb and call it a day?
May be easier to run carb. Check at the top of the "conversions & hybrids" forum for the different coloured threads. Theres one for FAQ.

Im putting a '04 5.3 into my '89 Iroc-z. I converted alot of the motor to fit into my car, as the f-body's have a conciderably lower hood height.

Mine is using LS2 fuel rails, LS1 intake, truck DBW TB, F-body Acc, F-body oil pan.

For the harness, i re-used the truck harness, and modified it as needed to fit it.

For stuff like exhaust, hoses etc, every car is a bit different.

For my fuel system, im using the stock fuel setup out of a '00 Trans am. But that setup is only compatible with a thirdgen f-body & 4th gen f-body.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the top of the forum there are threads that stay at the top. These threads are known as stickies. You'll find one that has many of the basic questions that you need answered in there. If you need further clarification beyond what you read there, I would first do a search on the topic(the search button is at the top right of the forum borad) or make a new post just like you have done here and ask your question.

Quick Reply: 5.3 or LS1 swap into 1965 C10 Truck????