Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on an S14 240sx LSX swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a daft innovations kit and you can see what they have here http://www.daftinnovations.com/s13ls1/index.html and my kit is the number 2 kit which i also am selling it if you want it let me know if you want it
Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

when i seen the new post i didnt see that coming.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol....mods??
Old 04-23-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by twistedsymphony

... how does the 240 rear end and axels hold up to LSx power? FWIW: my car has the factory optional V-LSD... Would I be better off using a GM rear end or axels, do they even fit, or would this be a headache to match up?
This place sells flanges that bolt to nissian diffs and convert them to 1310 U joints.

https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Pages/P...ft_flange.html

R200's hold big power, especially LSD ones. On Z cars it is usually the halfshafts and stub axles that go first. Your SX rear should avoid that weak link.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Hey guys I have a question about the 240Z, I have a jig built to make Long tubes headers with great ground clearance for a SB on the 240. I could easily adapt it to make a sets of monster LS based long tube headers for the 240Z but is there enough people doing this conversion?

Thanks
Phil
www.BRPHotRods.com
Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BRPhotrods
Hey guys I have a question about the 240Z, I have a jig built to make Long tubes headers with great ground clearance for a SB on the 240. I could easily adapt it to make a sets of monster LS based long tube headers for the 240Z but is there enough people doing this conversion?

Thanks
Phil
www.BRPHotRods.com
Yeah. Go to www.hybridz.org. A very common swap. They fit very nicely and don't upset the balance of the car.

This place sells kits for the LS install

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm

Both the link above and the jags that run site sell shorty headers for the swap. There are a couple of other places that sell kits for first gen SBC swaps. Hooker makes a set of long tube headers for one variant of the first gen swap.

I have yet to see a set of long tubes for the LS swap. The problem is the motor placement is so low that there really isn't room for the collectors. I am sure you could sell a few units if you priced them right.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ttyner1212
i have a daft innovations kit and you can see what they have here http://www.daftinnovations.com/s13ls1/index.html and my kit is the number 2 kit which i also am selling it if you want it let me know if you want it
That looks like a great kit, any idea if they're working on an S14 version? the S13 kit doesn't do me much good.

Thanks for th info on the diff Pop N Wood, it's good to know that the R200 can hold that much power, though I suppose they put it in their pickups too so it's probably built for abuse

As for an update:
I decided to do brakes and suspension first since it's clear that I will need those things to help handle the new engine anyway. I've already got a set of 300ZX calipers and will need rebuild them and I'm still looking at my suspension options. It's a shame that 90% of the coilovers for this car are JDM drifter garbage.

I've also started collecting parts here and there so hopefully by the time I'm ready to put the motor in I wont have much left to go out and buy all at once.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Sikky.com just finished their kit. It's on my car. I have tons of pics but I'm scrambling to get my car done by Nopi next weekend. Even replying to this message is taking up my time =)

Custom Pan (7 qts capacity, baffles, trap doors, lowest engine I've seen, no modding xmember, dip stick), CNC solid alum engine mounts with urethane bushings, transmission mount with urethane bushings.

Maybe this weekend I'll get the pics up. You'll have to contact them on price. I'm just the guinea pig.

I believe they are working on a DVD install and magazine coverage as well.

Last edited by okis14; 04-24-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Teching In

im waiting on the sikky mount kit. Any price availability yet?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I just uploaded pics of the Sikky kit on http://silviav8forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=580

Here is a pic of one of the mounts and the pan.
http://www.d-rated.com/public/images...complete/5.jpg

If you want to see all pics just change the number in the URL.

Maybe this weekend I'll take a few more pics if I have the time.
You can call them for the price. I think they are still working on making package deals. I got my stuff so I'm happy =)
Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Teching In

THanks. I am on that site too. Do you know when I can call them to order?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trsilvias13
THanks. I am on that site too. Do you know when I can call them to order?
doh my bad

It's http://www.jeimportperformance.com/ that did my swap. They deal with the Sikky parts.

They are open 0900 - 1800 EST
Old 04-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Teching In

wow it seems like there are a lot of swap kits out there..

the oil pan in that sikky kit, does that use a sump like the GTO pan or is it just a generic pan?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by twistedsymphony
wow it seems like there are a lot of swap kits out there..

the oil pan in that sikky kit, does that use a sump like the GTO pan or is it just a generic pan?
It is a front sump just like the GTO pan but blows the factory pan out the water.
One of the major complaints of LS1's blowing is from oil starvation which is usually directly related to the oil pan.

The best option is dry sump but that costs $$$. The next best is a race pan built with hard turning in mind (Autocross, drifting, road racing, etc) that includes trap doors. I don't know of all the pans out there but this one also has increase capactiy (7qts) which I haven't seen in others. It was built with drifting in mind (long duration of high revs and cornering)
You could also get an accusump to help prevent oil starvation.

Did I mention that you don't need to modify the crossmember either? Just bolt it on and drop it in.

Last edited by okis14; 04-25-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by okis14
It is a front sump just like the GTO pan but blows the factory pan out the water.
One of the major complaints of LS1's blowing is from oil starvation which is usually directly related to the oil pan.

The best option is dry sump but that costs $$$. The next best is a race pan built with hard turning in mind (Autocross, drifting, road racing, etc) that includes trap doors. I don't know of all the pans out there but this one also has increase capactiy (7qts) which I haven't seen in others. It was built with drifting in mind (long duration of high revs and cornering)
You could also get an accusump to help prevent oil starvation.

Did I mention that you don't need to modify the crossmember either? Just bolt it on and drop it in.
Where do I sign!
Any chance you could get basic dims similar to this pic:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...to-869x946.jpg
^-that's the GTO oil pan which I've heard is usually the best for the job.
I was offered a good deal on one, but I'd like to know more about the Sikky pan... what the basic dims are, when will they be available, and at least a ballpark figure on the price....

it sounds great from what you say but if it's going to cost $600 and wont be available until next year I'd be more inclined to buy the GTO pan and tweak the cross member to make it fit.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Any of you CA guys have plans to get a setup that is smoggable? Are there any CARB headers or the stock headers work with little to no mods?

I have been thinking about this swap for a while, but there isn't much info as far as smog is concern.

Quick Reply: Advice on an S14 240sx LSX swap