Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isuzu Amigo swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey OMC8,my dad is a CNC programmer and the shop belongs to the guy he works for but thanks anyway.There is a company called TNT that did it.The mototr was in and then the vehicle was taken to them.Its a custom kind of job.They have to fit/take off/bend/fit/takeoff/bend etc.I am sure yo know what I mean.My vehilce is an Isuzu KB 320V6 4x4 originally.You guys don't get these.It is calld the TF model as well.I am sure the engine bay and space inside is a bout the same.I must tell you takeing out the V6 and fitting the V8 is not as simple as it sounds.

The bell housing on the original gearbox had to be modified to mate with the V8,we cut the housing shorter and made an adapter plate which we then welded onto the housing.
My vehicle came with a pull type clutch and that had to be changed to the standard push type clutch..

As for the Vette manifolds,I am sure they would have worked but everyone says that if you are going to fit a free flow system,then it is worth while to put headers/branches on(this is basically the same as the vette exhaust manifolds).The branches have les restriction and better exhaust gas flow out the exhaust ports.

Used the standard vette motor mounts on the motor,just had to modify the mounts on the chassis if the vehicle.Had to move them forward if I remember correctly.

Hope this makes sense
Old 01-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Default engine swap

hey you guys seem to know quite a bit about these amigos i kneed to know what all would have to be done to replace a engine from a 99 amigo 4 wheel drive stick shift with one from a 94 2 wheel drive stick shift
Old 01-15-2011, 01:56 PM

hey you guys seem to know quite a bit about these amigos i need to know what all would have to be done to replace a engine from a 99 amigo 4 wheel drive stick shift with one from a 94 2 wheel drive stick shift
Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dpaul272
hey you guys seem to know quite a bit about these amigos i need to know what all would have to be done to replace a engine from a 99 amigo 4 wheel drive stick shift with one from a 94 2 wheel drive stick shift
Please clarify what your trying to do. What year is your Amigo and what engine are you wanting to swap?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM

I want to put the 2.6 four cylinder engine from a 94 2wd Amigo into a 99 4wd Amigo that had a 3.2 v6. Will the transmission bolt up? Is it plug and play or will anything need modded or changed?

Last edited by dpaul272; 01-17-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dpaul272
I want to put the 2.6 four cylinder engine from a 94 2wd Amigo into a 99 4wd Amigo that had a 3.2 v6. Will the transmission bolt up? Is it plug and play or will anything need modded or changed?
Well first of all this thread is for a LS engine swap ,you have posted in the wrong section. But I will try to help ,this is not a direct interchange swap.If I were you I would look for a 98-02 2.2 eng they be more, about 1200 dollars.Or the 3.2 V6 that you have. The biggest negative is the 94 eng is OBD I and your 99 is OBD II .It can be done but it is not cost effective .Even if someone gave you the engine for free .I don't know if it will bolt up to your trans. Best get the 5 speed that was behind it too if you can. That trans is cheap , only 200 here in my area. You also need the ECM and harness. And may be a problem to keep 4WD . So do the right thing and just put a LS eng in it and forget about the Isuzu drive train altogether.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed. I'm thinking a 5.3/4L60E combo in my 95.5 Rodeo would make it a fun ride. The 3.2 has 206k miles on it now. I'm pretty sure the swap would be cheaper than rebuilding the 3.2 (or at least similar cost). Gotta get the '36 going first, though!
Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Demon1972
Hey OMC8,my dad is a CNC programmer and the shop belongs to the guy he works for but thanks anyway.There is a company called TNT that did it.The mototr was in and then the vehicle was taken to them.Its a custom kind of job.They have to fit/take off/bend/fit/takeoff/bend etc.I am sure yo know what I mean.My vehilce is an Isuzu KB 320V6 4x4 originally.You guys don't get these.It is calld the TF model as well.I am sure the engine bay and space inside is a bout the same.I must tell you takeing out the V6 and fitting the V8 is not as simple as it sounds.

The bell housing on the original gearbox had to be modified to mate with the V8,we cut the housing shorter and made an adapter plate which we then welded onto the housing.
My vehicle came with a pull type clutch and that had to be changed to the standard push type clutch..

As for the Vette manifolds,I am sure they would have worked but everyone says that if you are going to fit a free flow system,then it is worth while to put headers/branches on(this is basically the same as the vette exhaust manifolds).The branches have les restriction and better exhaust gas flow out the exhaust ports.

Used the standard vette motor mounts on the motor,just had to modify the mounts on the chassis if the vehicle.Had to move them forward if I remember correctly.

Hope this makes sense
Hey Demon, please update on your Isuzu project. Are you still running the original gearbox, and how is it holding up?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Teching In

It was working well with no problems but then decided to pull the motor as it was getting a bit hot.I have stroked it to 383 and the motor should be going back in this week sometime.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Thanks for the update

Hey Demon,thanks for the update , I would have never guessed that the Isuzu gearbox would have held up this long with no problems.Great to known that's working for you. I think Im going to go with a T56 when ever I start my Amigo swap. Please keep us posted on the install of your 383 when its done.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

i saw this thread and saw this cl ad and with a turbo on the way the gears in my head are turning
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2479771677.html
Old 07-10-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a heart start for a project.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Verz
i saw this thread and saw this cl ad and with a turbo on the way the gears in my head are turning
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2479771677.html
Yea that looks like a nice Rodeo . Mine is a 99 Rodeo 2WD 5speed with a soft top. I would like to have a 4WD but I think it will be easier to do the LSX swap in the 2WD model.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default T5 World Class trans

Hope this makes sense
Hey Demon, I am finally starting to plan out my Amigo swap have some questions about what you did to make your tranny work. First of all the tranny in my Amigo is a T5 WC , I hope this the same 5 speed you have in your KB 320V6 .I need to know what flywheel you used and pressure plate and clutch disk ? How much did you mill off the bell housing and how thick was your adapter plate .Please give me the details on how to make this work.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:06 AM
Teching In

Hey OMC,

It is going well but had to change the power steering pump due it being noisy.

I cannot say for sure if the tranny is the same but I used a SPEC Stage 2 clutch with an 11" flywheel.The flywheel was the standard flywheel that I got with the motor,just ahd it skimmed and cleaned.

On my tranny,it does not have a seperate bell housing.The bell housing is part of the tranny. Basically of you remove it you see the gears but it was not a problem.We removed it from the tranny and machined off about 1" and the had the adapter welded on. I will see if I can find the drawing my dad made of the adapter and post it here for you to see

This is what my tranny looks like with the adapter plate.Not the best photo but it will give you an idea

Old 03-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone looked into using an auto 4x4 tranny with an Isuzu? I want to do the 5.3 swap on my trooper but am still unsure about what tranny/t-case combo to use. So far it is looking like a 700r4 would work best. I would rather have a 4l60E but don't think they ever made one with a passenger side drop t-case. Does anyone know? I was also think I coudl modify the rear tail housing of a 4l60E to fit a passenger side drop tranny. Kinda like what was don'e with the manual tranny. Cut the end off and weld on an adapter plate. Just not sure if the splines are the same. Any input would be great, thanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Teching In

The spigot shaft on my Isuzu tranny is 1" dia and 24 splines.I asked Spec if they could make something like that and they did.Not sure the diameter of the Trooper spigot shaft is or the amount of splines but I am sure that Spec or whoever you go with for a clutch could help you out. The Spec part # that I used was SC09924X1 but you just have to tell them the diameter of the shaft and the amount of splines
Old 03-26-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey OMC,

It is going well but had to change the power steering pump due it being noisy.

I cannot say for sure if the tranny is the same but I used a SPEC Stage 2 clutch with an 11" flywheel.The flywheel was the standard flywheel that I got with the motor,just ahd it skimmed and cleaned.

On my tranny,it does not have a separate bell housing.The bell housing is part of the tranny. Basically of you remove it you see the gears but it was not a problem.We removed it from the tranny and machined off about 1" and the had the adapter welded on. I will see if I can find the drawing my dad made of the adapter and post it here for you to see

This is what my tranny looks like with the adapter plate.Not the best photo but it will give you an idea

Well ,I'm just spinning my wheels now trying to decide which way to go with the tranny . What year is your KB I'm trying to identify it , my bell housing separates. I'm thinking that the 3.2 V6 had a stronger trans than my 2.2 4cyl .
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 AM
Teching In

It's a 2001 KB.I think it is called a TF series/model. Not sure what the tranny is but I think it may be the same as your Trooper 3.2 V6 or the Rodeo 3.2 V6.

This is the basic shape of my Isuzu.Not the best angle but it will give you an idea what to look for if you try google it

Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The spigot shaft on my Isuzu tranny is 1" dia and 24 splines.I asked Spec if they could make something like that and they did.Not sure the diameter of the Trooper spigot shaft is or the amount of splines but I am sure that Spec or whoever you go with for a clutch could help you out. The Spec part # that I used was SC09924X1 but you just have to tell them the diameter of the shaft and the amount of splines
Still have not identified your trans, I'm going to try to next week.I spoke with Spec clutches ,they were not much help. They could not give me any info on your part # . They said they don't have any clutches with the # SC09924X1 all he did say was that the 24x1 was a 24 spline , 1" diameter input shaft. He said none of their clutches start with # SC099 If there is any other info you may have that may help identify your clutch or trans , please let me know !

Quick Reply: Isuzu Amigo swap