Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isuzu Amigo swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Isuzu Amigo swap

Thinking real hard about putting one of my spare motors in an 2 wheel drive Isuzu Amigo. The thing runs like a top and I just ordered a set of BFG 32x11.50-15 and Mickey Thompson Classic 15x8 aluminum rims for it. I also ordered a 2-inch set of shackles for it as well. All of that will be going onto the jeep this week as soon as it arrives. I was thinking to myself - "Hell I have a couple of spare wiring harness', 2 PCMs, 3 freshly built 4l60E's, a complete 5.3, two 5.7s, a 6.0 and a 408 so why not stick one of them into the thing and see how it turns out. I think it would be a very interesting swap and I know it would fit as I have seen a few others with V8's such as a Ford 351-C and 350 SBC in them. Any thoughts?

Jim C.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have always been a fan of the Amigo, but felt that they were under powered. If you have all the parts sitting around, I say go for it.

I went to a huge swap meet last month, and a guy had a lowered, tubbed out suzuki samurai with a BBC in it, had to be the coolest thing I have ever seen. The Amigo would be a cool conversation piece if nothing else.

Jack
Old 04-02-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I planned out a Rodeo conversion a few years back, basically the same thing. The rear should hold stock power fine, especially if it's 4wd. There is plenty of room under the hood and in the tunnel. This may not be the case in the shorter Amigo. Would make a great sleeper and would probably get better MPG to boot! Only issues I saw you have addressed by going Auto. May have to use stock manifolds to cleer the steering. Go for it!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Teching In

I've been thinking about swapping my wife's Rodeo when we buy her a new car... wanted to retain the 4WD though so I planned to do a little more research before I dove into it.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

There was a guy who was working on putting an LS1 into a Vehicross a few years back. I don't remember if he ever got the truck running though.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This post is almost 2 years old,just wondering if any one has finished one these Amigos very interested
Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Yea..I would like to see aswell..that would be an interesting swap.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Well I have put a LS1 into my Isuzu V6 4x4 pick up.It's a tight fit but it's in.The only problem I am having now is to get the damn thing started.
Did not have spark so changed the Crankshaft sensor.Now I have spark but still does not start.Had the injectors cleaned and check and still does not start.I am using a Howell harness and ECM but don't know what else to do.The guys at Howell say it must work.Well it doesn't start.Does anyone have any ideas.After all the trouble this is not something I wil do anytime soon.Must say you guys in States know how to do these type of projects.You have everything at your disposal.

Some pics of the car:

Old 03-07-2010, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't necessarily say we have everything at our disposal..but the Factory stuff works pretty damn good..alot of times there isn't a need for aftermarket ECM's.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Had to go for an aftermarket harness and ECM,did not need all the stuff on a factory harness.The sp called "professional" that originally installed the motor took 13 months to do and it was an absolute abortion.So when I eventually got the vehicle back we redid it and then got the Howell system but no one in South Africa has ever heard of Howell or even know how to help me but so we learn anyway.Will get it right eventually I hope.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Demon1972
Had to go for an aftermarket harness and ECM,did not need all the stuff on a factory harness.
I ran into the same situation, I just deleted everything that wasn't needed and tuned it out.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Teching In

This harness has just the basics.This is a link to it,Cannot really see much but it is pretty basic,not much to it.When I ordered the harness I spoke to the guys at Howell and told them what I wanted and then they made up the harness,with the few things that were necessary as well.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey demon any progress with your swap ? Was your truck trans originally a auto or manual? Is that a 6speed on the floor going in your truck and it appears that your running a LS1 car intake and accessories is that right.I was wondering if a truck intake and accessories would work ,it probably will not fit without so fabrication to the eng compartment and hood clearance.What did you use for motor mounts and the radiator is out of what car? Give us more details.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 AM
Teching In

Hey OMC,like I said in the previous posts it is in but for some reason it won't start.
Every thing is standard LS1 stuff.It is our of a corvette.The transmission is a 5 speed.It is the standard one that was in the truck.They are pretty strong and if I break it,then I will change it.

I have lifted the body 2" so the hood clearance is not an issue.Had to modify the original bell housing to mate with the LS1.I also had to change he clutch from a Pull clucth to a Push clutch.

The radiator that I used is from a(hate to say this) 740 BMW.Also changed the fans as my original V6 had a viscous fan and now fitted 2 electric fans.

As for motor mounts,used the LS1 mounts just had to modify the chasis mounts to mate with the LS1 motor mounts.
I have to admit,this is a very tight fit.

I can't wait to get this damn thing started and race around with it.It is a 4x4 and I am keeping it 4x4.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Demon ,can you give us an update on your Isuzu swap .
Old 08-17-2010, 03:20 AM
Teching In

Ok,It's been a bit of a mission but eventually got it started as the electrician cut the plug off the harness that goes to the crank angle sonsor and the soldered another plug on like his behind.repaired that and it started first time.

It's a hell of a tight fit!!!!!Will have to pull the motor if something goes wrong with the aircon compressor.Then I will have to go and have the ECM re-done as no one here can get into the Howell software to tweak it and if something goes wrong,they cannot get into the ECM to check fault codes either

Have had all the wiring sorted out as well so everything comes on and goes off like it should.

Have had to get different diffs for i as the original ones are a bit small(not very strong) and I cannot go down on the ratio if necessary.I am putting a 3.727:1 ratio and if necessary can still go down to 3.55:1.

After that I am fittng a 3" lift Calmini suspension upgrade.And hopefully that's all????

A few photo's of the vehicle.

Last edited by Demon1972; 08-17-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Looks awesome, I haven't forgotten mine I just haven't had time to get back on it yet. I opened my own shop and between my regular job (Network Engineer/Project Manager), the shop business and getting married I have been a little over worked. lol. I also adopted my stepdaughter and got her into cars. We built her a DSM (FWD Turbo Eclipse) and are now building her an AWD in what little spare time I have (Family first ya know.). I plan to be back on mine early next year. I aquired a 5.3 with a 4L60E 4x4 trans and the entire 4x4 front end for it.

Your truck looks absolutely awesome. Good luck with it and please keep us posted. As soon as I get back on mine I will post up my progress. In the mean time I keep pimpin the pink monster (The Amigo you pervs!!!!).
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Demon1972
Ok,It's been a bit of a mission but eventually got it started as the electrician cut the plug off the harness that goes to the crank angle sonsor and the soldered another plug on like his behind.repaired that and it started first time.

It's a hell of a tight fit!!!!!Will have to pull the motor if something goes wrong with the aircon compressor.Then I will have to go and have the ECM re-done as no one here can get into the Howell software to tweak it and if something goes wrong,they cannot get into the ECM to check fault codes either

Have had all the wiring sorted out as well so everything comes on and goes off like it should.

Have had to get different diffs for i as the original ones are a bit small(not very strong) and I cannot go down on the ratio if necessary.I am putting a 3.727:1 ratio and if necessary can still go down to 3.55:1.

After that I am fittng a 3" lift Calmini suspension upgrade.And hopefully that's all????

A few photo's of the vehicle.

Demon, glad to hear you got it running.It looks awesome with that vette LS1 in there.Did you use the vette exhaust manifolds or something else? And you changed the diff ,was that a complete rear end assembly or just a ring and pinion?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:13 AM
Teching In

I have a complete Free Flow system,no Cats etc.I have what we call Barnches,I think you huys call them headers and the a 76mm(3") exhaust.It sounds really good though.

I am busy with the diff and it is a bigger/stronger diff than my original.

Here are a few pics of the diff,had to machine the ends off as I am also fitting discs on the rear.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Demon ,Looks like you have a really nice shop there to work out of.Yesterday I bought a 99 Amigo 2WD,that I want to do a conversion on. So I need help and I'm going to ask alot of questions.First who makes those headers or branches as you guys call them and what truck were they made for.Will the vette exhaust manifolds work or not enough room ?And want did use for motor mounts?
Thanks OMC8

Quick Reply: Isuzu Amigo swap