Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1- getting the fumes from the gas tank to the TB... ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TXjeepTJ ...

Are you saying that if the pressure in the fuel tank is over 15hg (I assume inches of mercury) then it is vented into the evap line until pressure returns to 6.5inhg. What happens on a hot day when your car is sitting in the sun and the tank pressure reaches 15inhg? Will it flow into the throttle body? Isn't this dangerous if the car is not running? To me it seems to leave the potential of filling your intake manifold up with gas fumes and then when the car is started it could blow up the manifold. I'm just wondering? I have been looking for a good way to vent my tank. It hasn’t become an issue so I will probably leave it alone.

Graham
Old 05-15-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrucken
TXjeepTJ ...

Are you saying that if the pressure in the fuel tank is over 15hg (I assume inches of mercury) then it is vented into the evap line until pressure returns to 6.5inhg. What happens on a hot day when your car is sitting in the sun and the tank pressure reaches 15inhg? Will it flow into the throttle body? Isn't this dangerous if the car is not running? To me it seems to leave the potential of filling your intake manifold up with gas fumes and then when the car is started it could blow up the manifold. I'm just wondering? I have been looking for a good way to vent my tank. It hasn’t become an issue so I will probably leave it alone.

Graham

well i learned all of this from a manual that was showing how to test if the evap purge solenoid is working(camaro manual) soo on every camaro/TA its like that, because of that we can conclude that the intake wont blow up if the car sits for a long time in the summer, car off. if it did, then every single camaro and trans-am would be blown up by now lol

and the solenoid will automaticly realease fumes into the TB once it passes 6.5hg, soo it will never let the fumes get over 7hg most likely(since suction in the tank doesnt form very fast).

i just used 15hg when i was testing it(pumped a vacuum VERY quick to get it up to 15hg, the solenoid releases the vacuum slowly) i doubt the car will ever get up to 15hg w/ the solenoid in place. if you dont have a vent line(capped off) you might be able to hit 15hg if your fuel pump doesnt stall out
Old 05-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
well i learned all of this from a manual that was showing how to test if the evap purge solenoid is working(camaro manual) soo on every camaro/TA its like that, because of that we can conclude that the intake wont blow up if the car sits for a long time in the summer, car off. if it did, then every single camaro and trans-am would be blown up by now lol

and the solenoid will automaticly realease fumes into the TB once it passes 6.5hg, soo it will never let the fumes get over 7hg most likely(since suction in the tank doesnt form very fast).

i just used 15hg when i was testing it(pumped a vacuum VERY quick to get it up to 15hg, the solenoid releases the vacuum slowly) i doubt the car will ever get up to 15hg w/ the solenoid in place. if you dont have a vent line(capped off) you might be able to hit 15hg if your fuel pump doesnt stall out

I think I just assumed no seperate vent hooked up. So what I was concerned about wouldn't be an issue at all. Guess I don't really understand your reasoning for hooking this up. no sarcasm intended. again I assumed this was more to vent the tank of excess pressure, which is why I read this post.

Graham
Old 05-17-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrucken
I think I just assumed no seperate vent hooked up. So what I was concerned about wouldn't be an issue at all. Guess I don't really understand your reasoning for hooking this up. no sarcasm intended. again I assumed this was more to vent the tank of excess pressure, which is why I read this post.

Graham
this is to vent the tank of excess pressure and also get the fumes to the throttle body

Quick Reply: ls1- getting the fumes from the gas tank to the TB... ??