Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting an opinion thread that is controversial, EFI vs Carbed LSX engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlightRisk
I don't know what the term part throttle means......It's either WFO or nothing.....figured I would throw some humor into this serios thread. My two cents is this, if you want to tune your efi you have to buy the software to tune it and I am sure it is at least 600 bucks. All I need to tune my carb is a screw driver .........
lol That is the truth......If you want fuel economy you probably shouldn't build a v8 either way.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's all in the intake and heads, baby. Not every car needs intake runners tuned for mid RPM torque.

Driving WFO all the time would require placing a catch tank under the driver's seat. Passenger seats too I guess.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1970-Cloned
May have this in the wrong section. This is my home area since I am doing a swap in a non original LSX car. Want to hear from my home room guys.

What do you think about LSX engines that have been changed to run a carburetor?

What are the pros and cons of either induction?

Why did you pick the carb/efi setup you run in your car?

I have formulated my own opinions on this but am interested to see what others think.
goj with a vtech
Old 06-17-2008, 06:12 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really want to get my ls1 dynoed now. what do you think she will do?

TSP "243" cnc ported heads
TSP Magic Stick 3 Cam
Victor Jr intake
750 Mighty Demon
Hooker 1 3/4 long tubes
Old 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SMAX
cam72aro-How does efi live differ from hp tuners or ls1 edit. My old camaro was tuned with hp tuners I think(it has been a while) and I have seen many ls1 cars locally tuned by ed wright and a few other local tuners(not bashing anyones tuning). All of the cars I have seen that had been built on the radical side had alot of the same bad characteristics of a radical carb engine. Poor idle, pig rich, part throttle surge and a big drop in mpg. I am sure that if I swapped my th400 for a t56 I could get 18-20mpg out of my set up. Might have to add a map sensor for some vac advance, but I am sure it could be achieved.
I am not familiar with the tuner that yall use, but we have some very good tuners here (not bashing those up there) that can get a car to run and drive almost like a stock cam, except for the choppy idle. No off idle surging, close to the same mpg. It just takes some time adjusting the ve table and spark advance in certain areas. I am still learning the tuning game and am not near as good as some of the guys here, but have a good handle on getting a car to idle without killing your eyes, and not surging.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey 1fasthonda. your a ******* troll. get out of here and stop trying to start **** with everyone in most (if not all) of your posts.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCx
i really want to get my ls1 dynoed now. what do you think she will do?

TSP "243" cnc ported heads
TSP Magic Stick 3 Cam
Victor Jr intake
750 Mighty Demon
Hooker 1 3/4 long tubes
The guy Chris-m who replied in the thread before with a 220ish cam, stock heads and carb setup with 750 demon dynoed like 412rwhp.

There's not alot of info on the carb setups here. I am interested as well to see what mine dynos but im still waiting on my driveshaft from dennys. I am hoping for around 420rwhp cam only.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
The guy Chris-m who replied in the thread before with a 220ish cam, stock heads and carb setup with 750 demon dynoed like 412rwhp.

There's not alot of info on the carb setups here. I am interested as well to see what mine dynos but im still waiting on my driveshaft from dennys. I am hoping for around 420rwhp cam only.
Check out what they get out off a junkyard 6.0 with baby cam and carb set-up

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild...ock/index.html
Old 06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

theres probably a pretty good reason why no manufacturers sell vehicles that ARENT fuel injected.

EFI is superior to carb in many ways
Carbs also have their plusses
just depends on individual preferences.

going carb because its more "period correct" is also a poor reason to put a carb on an LS1 swapped vehicle. if you wanted "period correct" you would also get a block from that same period

at the end of the day, an engine doesnt care how it gets its gasoline into the cylinders, just as long as it gets in there when its supposed to be there, but technology allows incredible, safe, easy and automatic control over the basic functions of the engine.

a question to the fellow who prefers his carb'd ls1 to the efi that was originally on it because of throttle response, etc. ...quick question about that. was the LS1 originally throttle by wire or was the TB cable operated?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
Carburetor introduces fuel before intake giving the entire length of the intake and head runners for fuel to atomize. The EFI setup only allows the length of the cylinder head runners resulting is less atomization. Carburetors run at 7psi. A very low fuel pressure which means cooler fuel which means cooler air/fuel mixture. EFI has fuel presurized to 50+psi which is obtained by more friction which creates more heat.

With a carburetor this is a much shorter distance for the air to travel as well. You dont need the 6" of spacing from MAF to TB and then whatever distance to air filter. It's also a straight shot from the top of the engine down into the cylinder heads. It does not come in and 90* into the cylinder heads. You also dont have to worry about the 'dead' #7and#8 cylinders or nitrous backfires. A nitrous setup is also much simpler/safer to run on a carbed setup.
I dont really agree with any of your above statments. Carburetors have trouble with fuel atomization in cold weather. Ever heard of fuel puddling? Having fuel travel the length of the intake runner is a bad idea. Ever heard of direct injection? It has less of a chance to breakdown if it injected in the chamber. Bmw started doing this a few years ago and have had great sucess with it. True when you presurie fuel it does create more heat, but it is more controlable and the injector on time is shorter when the pressure is higher, resulting in better fuel economy. Also with a carb, intake temps are higher because you cant remotely ingest air into an engine, meaning you cant find the coldest place under the hood and pull air from it. Also aluminum intakes pull head into them, not the best for performance. Thats why most intakes are plastic. Just the flipside of your point, Josh
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

it was a cost factor for me. hands down the only reason why i went carb.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why even put an LSx in a car if your going to carb it. Why not get a SBC or BBC instead. Not that I am knocking carb setups it just doesnt make sense to Carb an engine designed for EFI.....
Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had both, its all in what you want. Neither is better then the other, both have pro's and con's. For me it was the money, and i hated tuning the EFI everytime i changed something.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by D-Webz
Why even put an LSx in a car if your going to carb it. Why not get a SBC or BBC instead. Not that I am knocking carb setups it just doesnt make sense to Carb an engine designed for EFI.....
Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

As far as tuning, the shop who will be doing mine said the tune fee is one time unless something major comes up. I get it street and dyno tuned for around $500 and if I need something else done, its free.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
As far as tuning, the shop who will be doing mine said the tune fee is one time unless something major comes up. I get it street and dyno tuned for around $500 and if I need something else done, its free.
Not sure where you are getting it done, but Ed Wright is here in Tulsa and I think he charges $650 and there is a guy named Glenn in OKC that is really good and really reasonable. Glenn is on here quite a bit.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:34 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

i had a nice small block but i still made the swap. this now collects dust in the corner of my garage.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Teching In

i swapped out a six for my carbed LS2, i bought it as a crate motor so it came with the intake , i did it because thats what i wanted , it drives great , check my link for a view.. carb vs efi
Old 06-18-2008, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Ease of tuning and throttle response cant be touched of fuel injection. If you guys realized how easy it is to tune yall wouldnt be saying this. If you can turn a computer on and open a program, then you can learn to tune. I have efi live and had no experience tuning and learned in a couple of weeks.
BINGO !!! Just what I was thinking...tuning without popping the hood...you can't compare the accurate , limitless tuning.... I'll never go back.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NX74LS6
BINGO !!! Just what I was thinking...tuning without popping the hood...you can't compare the accurate , limitless tuning.... I'll never go back.
Or dumping fuel all over the engine when rejetting.

Quick Reply: Starting an opinion thread that is controversial, EFI vs Carbed LSX engines