Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting an opinion thread that is controversial, EFI vs Carbed LSX engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to dump fuel. All I have to do is turn off the pump and let the bowls empty, you can hold a container under the bowl. Also if you go to change injectors you are gonna make a mess as well.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMAX
You don't have to dump fuel. All I have to do is turn off the pump and let the bowls empty, you can hold a container under the bowl. Also if you go to change injectors you are gonna make a mess as well.
Yeah, but how often are you changing injector in the tuning process. You can change your complete fuel curve with the click of the mouse. Can you do that on a carb?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

No, but if you don't go crazy with the carb size you shouldn't have to change much.

What size injectors are you running?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

No, but if you don't go crazy with the carb size you shouldn't have to change much.

What size injectors are you running?
Stock 28lbs. To fine tune a carb you will have to rejet it. That involves taking bowls off.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Stock 28lbs. To fine tune a carb you will have to rejet it. That involves taking bowls off.
Yes, but it really isn't that difficult and once you get it where you want it your good to go short some minor tweaks here and there.

I am surprised you are able to run the 28lb injectors. That is what I had in my camaro with stock heads and a smaller cam and they were running right at 100% duty cycle.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, but it really isn't that difficult and once you get it where you want it your good to go short some minor tweaks here and there.

I am surprised you are able to run the 28lb injectors. That is what I had in my camaro with stock heads and a smaller cam and they were running right at 100% duty cycle.
I know how to tune a carb. My car was a 388 stroker witha 750 on it. The downside to carb is when weather changes occur you either have to deal with a richer mixture or rejet. It sounds like something was wrong with your car if it was near 100% duty cycle. I dont think mine is near that. I need to get my laptop hooked back up and do some logging. If I remember mine is in the 60% range.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, but how often are you changing injector in the tuning process. You can change your complete fuel curve with the click of the mouse. Can you do that on a carb?
And a $500 software package installed on a $1000 lap top.

Everyone knows what FI can do. It is on the wife's minivan. Gives her a boner everytime she cranks it over just thinking how much more high tech it is than a carb.

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
theres probably a pretty good reason why no manufacturers sell vehicles that ARENT fuel injected.
Because it would never pass smog without it. End of story. If they can save $5 building a car they are going to do it.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Launching!

For some people they're going to stick with what they're familiar with. Take my dad for instance. He's an old school guy, calls me lazy since all I have to do to tune my car is turn on my laptop, few keystrokes, and voila. The car is tuned. I know that's an exaggeration but you get the point..

I chose to go the EFI route cause that's what I know how to tune. Not to knock the carb guys but you stick on of those infront of me and you might as well be speaking Chinese. I came into the car game very late. I'm a computer guy. Before I found out you could tune a car with a laptop ZERO interest in cars. None, zip, nada. When I started playing around with my 94 Formula that opened alot of doors and I started soaking it in like a sponge and it still hasn't stopped to this day. Then the LSx came along and holy crap, I'm having fun...

Point being is, like I said earlier, most people are going to stick with what they're familiar or comfortable with. Carb, EFI, or little hamsters running under the hood. Every now and then you'll get someone who wanders out of they're comfort zone into unfamiliar territory, least to them. It's doesn't matter if it's carb or EFI. They all still run the same. It's jsut a matter of how much work you wanna do..

Tails
Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
And a $500 software package installed on a $1000 lap top.
Now you are exaggerating. My laptop was free, but you can get one at the pawn shop for $100. My efi live software was 300 bucks from a fellow board member. Total out the cost of the carb intake, the msd box. Its more than tuning software. Intake and box is what 600? Then the price of a good carb, 400 bucks? So $1000 for that setup, you can spend way less on stock efi stuff.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Putting a carb on an LSx motor is like taking a work of art and wiping your *** with it.

Car companies stopped using carbs for a reason... fuel injection is better! It meters fuel much more accurately and therefore is capable of better efficiency and more power.

If you don't care about those factors, sure it's simpler to use a carb. But I'm gonna have to agree with Cam72aro and say... Why go through the trouble of swapping in an LSx and not finish it right?

If you want power on a tight budget, a GEN1 SBC, or and BBC can handle that job. If you want modern technology; power, and efficiency, then an injected LSx is a great way to go.

Just my 2¢
Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thing I have not seen mentioned here is the troubleshooting is greatly reduced with the OBD port. Its all just guess work diagnosing a carbed setup.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

I'm so tired of messing with carbs (I'm not a good carb tuner, combined with msd ignition gremlins)
decided to do the LSx swap
I like the look of the carb, but want efi
think I'll go in the middle w/ vic jr intake and efi in the future (using ls6 for now)

good thread
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
It is on the wife's minivan. Gives her a boner everytime she cranks it over

ok, I'm scared
Old 06-18-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
Putting a carb on an LSx motor is like taking a work of art and wiping your *** with it.

Car companies stopped using carbs for a reason... fuel injection is better! It meters fuel much more accurately and therefore is capable of better efficiency and more power.

If you don't care about those factors, sure it's simpler to use a carb. But I'm gonna have to agree with Cam72aro and say... Why go through the trouble of swapping in an LSx and not finish it right?

If you want power on a tight budget, a GEN1 SBC, or and BBC can handle that job. If you want modern technology; power, and efficiency, then an injected LSx is a great way to go.

Just my 2¢
ever heard of different strokes for different folks?

also people like to play to their strengths if people like tuning software they will probably go injected, if people like tuning carbs they might go that route, its their cars

whats so wrong with having a 3rd gen SBC with a carb?

you guy are hilarious though, you guys take so much offense to sticking a carb on a LSX motor, just as much offense as the RX7 guys give me for putting a SBC into their beloved RX7 haha

like i said different strokes for different folks
Old 06-18-2008, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
One more thing I have not seen mentioned here is the troubleshooting is greatly reduced with the OBD port. Its all just guess work diagnosing a carbed setup.
That is only gonna tell you what sensor is freaking out, and it is going to make your setup more sensitive. Meaning a sensor goes south and your tune is fucked until you fix it. Efi just has more things that can go wrong.

One thing you guys are not considering is the fact that with the msd 6010 box you dial in your timing much more precise to clean things up. With a sbc or bbc you can't do that. If we want to run a map sensor we can tune part throttle also. Throw in a wideband and a good carb and it will be just as efficient as an efi car.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Now you are exaggerating. My laptop was free, but you can get one at the pawn shop for $100. My efi live software was 300 bucks from a fellow board member. Total out the cost of the carb intake, the msd box. Its more than tuning software. Intake and box is what 600? Then the price of a good carb, 400 bucks? So $1000 for that setup, you can spend way less on stock efi stuff.
I just sold a complete efi setup and bought a complete carb setup and had a good chunk of change leftover.The best part is the new set-up came with tuning program.So now i will be able to tune my stuff and take credit for it.I can,t see spending $700 for a wiring harness and $500 for hptuners.I can,t see how you can say efi is cheeper,i made money with this swap and now i can tune myself.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You all are getting ripped off if you are paying $700 for a freaking harness! You can find a good used harness for $50 ~ $150 all day long in the classifieds section here...
Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Throw in a wideband and a good carb and it will be just as efficient as an efi car.
I'd love to see that. If that were true, every car on the road would have a carb. Because if that were true, carbs would also have no issues meeting emissions requirements.

The sensors are very reliable in LSx motors. In my car's 215,000 miles, the only sensor that has been replaced was the MAF sensor, and that was only because I was a moron and overoiled a K&N.

In fact, in 215,000 miles, I have had zero fuel injection related issues. I replaced the injectors at 201,500, but only to supply more fuel for my new motor. Except the injectors, all of my electronics and fuel system was reused on my new longblock.

I've owned three carbed SBCs and they were all a PITA. A wideband certainly help tune a carb setup, but it doesn't eliminate the hassle. Depending on the carb, it'll probably require frequent adjustments, much more frequent than I care to deal with. With EFI; once you set your tune for your setup, and get it right, you never need to touch it again.

I love plugging my car in to see what's wrong with it (which almost always leads to an immediate conclusion). I also love the 32+ mpg I get on the highway.

At some point, you just have to admit that you're hanging on to old, obsolete ways, and are unwilling to move forward, no matter what the advantages.

I don't mean to **** anyone off, but you want opinions, so here ya go.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

That was the price for a painless wiring harness.I had a stock harness,they wanted $400 to rework it for me.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
I'd love to see that. If that were true, every car on the road would have a carb. Because if that were true, carbs would also have no issues meeting emissions requirements.

The sensors are very reliable in LSx motors. In my car's 215,000 miles, the only sensor that has been replaced was the MAF sensor, and that was only because I was a moron and overoiled a K&N.

In fact, in 215,000 miles, I have had zero fuel injection related issues. I replaced the injectors at 201,500, but only to supply more fuel for my new motor. Except the injectors, all of my electronics and fuel system was reused on my new longblock.

I've owned three carbed SBCs and they were all a PITA. A wideband certainly help tune a carb setup, but it doesn't eliminate the hassle. Depending on the carb, it'll probably require frequent adjustments, much more frequent than I care to deal with. With EFI; once you set your tune for your setup, and get it right, you never need to touch it again.

I love plugging my car in to see what's wrong with it (which almost always leads to an immediate conclusion). I also love the 32+ mpg I get on the highway.

At some point, you just have to admit that you're hanging on to old, obsolete ways, and are unwilling to move forward, no matter what the advantages.

I don't mean to **** anyone off, but you want opinions, so here ya go.
Is your car stock? Is it a conversion? Looks like a 4th gen that came with an ls1 if its the car in your sig. I had a 4th gen myself and now I have a carb ls1 so I have been on both sides of the fence. Where is your opinion coming from???? Oh yeah just the one side... It doesn't seem to me that any of you that have not had a carbed ls1 have a valid point. Yeah you can spout how great efi is and compare your efi ls1 to your old carbed sbc, but that isn't what this thread is comparing is it????

Quick Reply: Starting an opinion thread that is controversial, EFI vs Carbed LSX engines