Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the mother of all lsx mustangs :D

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 05:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well , got the methanol pump and reservoir mounted today , as well as the harness!
just need to machine an adapter to have the autometer oil pressure sensor work with the valley cover hole, as well as the water temp sensor. those should be done tomorow.

got a few parts in today, namely the guages and the moroso oil accumilator ---- which is BIG! we kinda ran out of places to put it in , so a bracket in the passenger side fender (behind the tranny cooler) will be welded in tomorow.
didn't get any pics today , but i did get some crappy ones on my phone that i have to upload. i will get better ones soon and post them
Old 07-05-2008, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great man, that thing is going to fly. Im just starting to get **** together to drop a ls1/t56 into a fox.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:19 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great build but not the mother of all LSx swaps.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 AM
8 Second Club

oh, great phil99, please read post #3

( wasn't thinking straight when i posted this thread )
Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its all good man, I'm just bustin your chops.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:36 AM
8 Second Club

well more progress has been made , like i said before , engine harness is done as well as the guage sensor adapters.

the accumilator and its bracket are done, i just didn't like how low it hanged from under the car, so it will be repositioned to be tilted a bit ( bottom part more forward than the top - like an f-body radiator). the accumilator also shares the tranny cooler bracket.

the tranny cooler is also done ( well almost); i wanted to have two coolers together , like two layers of coolers, only problem is i couldn't find any more tranny coolers here! i guess they sell out real fast now that the "warm" season is here
so we ended up just using one and will be slapping a small spal fan on it :

image looking in from the passenger front tire :

the last few days we were looking around for a radiator that would fit behind the intercooler and was short enough not to hit the intercooler pipe on the top ( don't want to order one from summit and wait for it to show up).

i saw a small radiator on a sand rail here an when i asked the owner he said its of a small bmw or mecedes , so i went to a used parts place that specializes in used german parts, and i asked for the smallest radiator they had ..... be carefull what you wish for

here it is mocked up behind the intercooler :

to tell you the truth i wasn't very comfortable with how small that thing was after we mocked it up on the car; it was tiny! i've seen tranny coolers bigger that this one

so we looked around and got one that sorta fits , its off a toyota hilux and it fits ok , we're in the process of building the brackets for it and after that we'll get the hoses:

also being done right now is the interior harness and relay board. the harness for the windows, lights, ctc. is all done , just need to wire it in to the main "board" where all the relays and fuses are.

i really should start looking into making the driveshaft at this stage of the build; the car is a few days from being started
Old 07-11-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Qwiknotch
it should run low 8's, depends on how heavy it is.

can I have you camaro? please? sugar on top?

my favorite years.. 70 1/2 - 73 I will have one someday and convert it to a split bumper too...
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Yes, you can have it, but trade for the stang when its done, lol.
Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
i want your camaro too
Ok, price is 4 million dollars.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
8 Second Club

loool , i'm just 3,999,000 short

quick update, we took the radiator off ( again ) , cause after looking at the evo next to the stang , we realized the evo's radiator would fit even better ( and was full width !). so we took the evo's radiator off ( should be getting another one tomorow ) and we are in the process of mounting it up.

the car laso gave its first sign of life: after downloading a new base program into the pcm , we primed the fuel system , and to our surprise , it only leaked in one spot ( right at the exit of the fuel pump- thread sealer took care of that quick) , after that we commenced the engine cranking cerimony we just wanted to hear it turn over - it had no oil so we had no intention of starting it .

a minor setback though, we never tried the dipstick while the engine was out of the car and on the stand. it now appears that LSX blocks have a smaller dipstick tube diameter than a regular ls1. so we'll pull the engine up a bit , drop the pan , make sure the windage tray is clearanced for the dipstick in the right place , and re-drill the hole .

we also re mounted the accumilator , it hung a bit too low for my taste, so we angled it and now it looks better.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

between the power contained with both this build and Phils, my god, i think my head might just implode. And so will the world if those cars are ever in the same room together.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how about the mother of all lsx fox body builds
you guys build some of the coolest lsx swap cars over there
Old 07-12-2008, 01:48 AM
8 Second Club

thanks guys

we are only but students of great master phill

to tell you the truth , it was phill's documentation of his awsome build that made us document the three cars we are doing over here . ( plus it makes it real easy to know what we did to which car later down the road )
Old 07-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

what AJE kmember and motor mounts are being used to fit the LS1?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:40 AM
8 Second Club

the 4.6 ones ( earliy AJE design) , if you order them now you will basically get a standardized k member with mounts to suit your needs (you just swap the motor mount part to what ever mount you need ).

so if you will order a kmember from them , just ask for the ls1 swap kmember.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

I love this car
Old 07-12-2008, 05:10 PM
8 Second Club

IT LIVES!

at 6:19 local time , the engine fired up for the first time !

at 6:36 we had oil to the rockers

the thing sounds mean

i'll try and get a video of it tomorow ( or i'll pull a phill on you and not post it )

can't let it idle for too long since there is no coolant in the engine (nor radiator).

should be a driver soon!
Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 PM
8 Second Club

the relay and junction block board is finished (will be painted and firmly fixed once the roll cage is in ):

we're starting on the autometer dash cluster now , should be finished soon. it will have , boost, volts, oil press. , water temp , fuel level, and AFR ( hopefully ) all in the dash cluster. tranny temp will be in the console area.

here are teaser pics ( more like WTF pics) of the next project in line for the guys at SLR ( i'll be re doing my stang soon too ):

Old 07-15-2008, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

that dash looks like a perfect fit for a racepak
Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Holy *** everything over there is covered in dust...
Old 07-15-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats sick!! cant wait for a vid
Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM
8 Second Club

loool! its really not that dusty, its just that my camera for some odd reason , shows dust 10 times worse than it is! ( well ,that and the car has been sitting outside for god knows how many years )

anyhow, i just got the new fiberglass hod with 2 inch cowl , will post pics tomorow. also fownd a cog belt in the shop that fits the current pulley arrangement (small crank cog for now, till we get the big one )

i'll probably be getting the radiator hoses and hose clamps for the tube from the intercooler to the TB tomorow. and with that we can fire the thing up for more than a few seconds and check for leaks and do the first oil change.

Quick Reply: the mother of all lsx mustangs :D