Sponsored by:

LS1 / 4T65E-HD / Fiero

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 / 4T65E-HD / Fiero

First time posting. Be gentle with me.

OK. I've got the LS1 in my 88 Fiero with the stock Fiero 5 speed Getrag. I'm forced to use a small (9") clutch due to the lack of room in the bell housing. I'd really like to put a 4T65E-HD in the car but that would require adapting it to the LS1. Room isn't a problem. And the axles can be built using parts, bits and pieces from several different cars. The car runs good with the 5 speed Getrag, except for a blown input shaft seal dropping oil onto the clutch and one snapped axle. I now have a set of custom axles from The Driveshaft Shop. I'm just not too sure how much this little transmission will take. It was designed for a 165? hp V6. It now has 350+ hp. The starter has already been relocated with the V8/Getrag adaptor but I would like some words of wisdom for the automatic. I'll need to swap to a flex plate/converter and need to know the best way to space the converter out from the flex plate to compensate for the thickness of the adapter. Any ideas???
PLEASE don't suggest using the baby LS motor. I've got WAY too much invested to start over with another engine too.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Default Have you looked at the Olds Omega and Cadillac STS Autos?

AIR, the Olds' and Cadillac's with the 4.0l & 4.6l DOHC V-8's
used a 4t80e. That is, a version of the 4l80e with transverse mounting.

Know that tranny fits "well" in the Fiero's; since the DOHC engine/tranny was a pretty popular swap (at one time). Actually, I don't think anything fits well in a V-8 Fiero -- some of the clearances are miniscule!

The 4t80e doesn't bolt up to the LSx engines, but I suspect V-8 Archie has an adapter (if you dont want to create one yourself).
Old 07-05-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pillboxesghost
AIR, the Olds' and Cadillac's with the 4.0l & 4.6l DOHC V-8's
used a 4t80e. That is, a version of the 4l80e with transverse mounting.

Know that tranny fits "well" in the Fiero's; since the DOHC engine/tranny was a pretty popular swap (at one time). Actually, I don't think anything fits well in a V-8 Fiero -- some of the clearances are miniscule!

The 4t80e doesn't bolt up to the LSx engines, but I suspect V-8 Archie has an adapter (if you dont want to create one yourself).
It will bolt to an LS4 used in the Impala SS.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Here is a build Thread on what you looking for. The guy bulding this setup used parts made by Loyde at fastfieros.com. Very nice parts that worked very well. I am working on a LS swap myself but went with the LS4 being it was mated to the 65E already.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/071254.html
Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Teching In

I have been thinking about this swap for a while yet I just havent pulled the trigger. I am going to go the G6 6 speed route though. Initial thought was the trans was going to be expensive and not readily available. Ebay seems to have a constant supply of them under $400. V8Archie also sells a kit to use this trans, here are the links for you. Good luck on the Fiero.

http://search.ebay.com/g6-6-speed_W0...226Q20speedQ22

http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm

Quick Reply: LS1 / 4T65E-HD / Fiero