Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My carbed 6.0L L92 s-10 at the track

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running a wideband setup with that predator carb? What your AFR when you go from cruise to part throttle? This is where i have the problem with my carb leaning out to like 15.5-16:1. It doesnt stumble or anything but i see it get leaner and it worried me haha
Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tennerv8
How was the drivability with the predator? Does it go right down the road with no surging or anything like that?
best driving carb i have ever driven or rode in. instant throttle responce and no hesitations at all

if i ever build another carbed vehicle it will have another predator on it
Old 12-24-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know what model number your Predator is? Does it actually have the idle circuits?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Do you know what model number your Predator is? Does it actually have the idle circuits?
i purchased 2 of them used, 1 had the idle circuit and the other did not, i tried both of them and they both ran fine, even the 1 that did not have the idle circuit would idle fine at 850-950rpm

until you actually see how this carb works its hard to explain, it really doesnt need an idle circuit or a choke and that is why it doesnt have one, it works totally off of air flow
Old 12-24-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
i purchased 2 of them used, 1 had the idle circuit and the other did not, i tried both of them and they both ran fine, even the 1 that did not have the idle circuit would idle fine at 850-950rpm

until you actually see how this carb works its hard to explain, it really doesnt need an idle circuit or a choke and that is why it doesnt have one, it works totally off of air flow
You wouldnt happen to have the other one laying around would you?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

You wouldnt happen to have the other one laying around would you?
i sold it to another guy in town for his big block ford

you can find them on craigslist and e-bay for $150-200, new they are $500
Old 12-24-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i sold it to another guy in town for his big block ford

you can find them on craigslist and e-bay for $150-200, new they are $500
Yeah I looked locally on craigslist and I only found one. Whats a fair price for one? Can much go wrong with a used one?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Launching!

No, there are not many parts to give you troubles, I bought one for $100.00 used one time at the dyno, the owner thought something could go wrong with it...
Old 12-27-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I might have found one for $100 used without idle circuits. I heard they cut out around corners. Jay have you had any trouble with your predator doing this?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

I might have found one for $100 used without idle circuits. I heard they cut out around corners. Jay have you had any trouble with your predator doing this?
if you set up the carb correctly you will be fine,, for street driving the instructions said to have the float bowl in the rear, for all out drag racing they said to have the float bowl in the front, and for mud trucks and climbing trucks the float bowl can go to the left or right

look at the pics of mine and you can see i had the float bowl to the rear, and that puts the linkage at the front of the engine, not too big of a deal if you have a long enough throttle cable

i didnt have any problems at all driving this carb on the street, i never did any high speed cornering, just normal street drining

there is only a couple moving parts in the carb, the flapper doors are held shut(spring tension) by a spring under the front cover of the carb, this spring adjustment controls how fast the doors open so you dont get a stumble or backfire, then in the float bowl the air flaps are connected to a fuel valve and cam(cams can be swaped for differrent fuel curves, most people use #1, they say if you want to run e-85 all you have to do is swap the cam to #3), the farther the flaps open the more fuel that is metered to the fuel plate

there is a fuel adj screw on top of the carb to adjust rich/lean, the adj is opposite most carbs, clockwise richens the mixture, counter clockwise leans the mixture, all this screw does is open or close the fuel valve a slight bit

Old 12-28-2008, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i know he called me and said he changed the rear suspension and after that he couldnt get the posi to lock, it was a brand new fms 8.8 posi,, but this was after he had made a bunch of runs with it

anyone know him?, is he on these boards, i know when he picked it up he said he was a ford guy and he had some mustangs and this was his first gm LS vehicle
He is a very nice guy with a nice cobra, I saw it run some 12 second times this year at the strip I imagine that must have been after the rear problems..... its a cool truck for sure.....
Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you set up the carb correctly you will be fine,, for street driving the instructions said to have the float bowl in the rear, for all out drag racing they said to have the float bowl in the front, and for mud trucks and climbing trucks the float bowl can go to the left or right

look at the pics of mine and you can see i had the float bowl to the rear, and that puts the linkage at the front of the engine, not too big of a deal if you have a long enough throttle cable

i didnt have any problems at all driving this carb on the street, i never did any high speed cornering, just normal street drining

there is only a couple moving parts in the carb, the flapper doors are held shut(spring tension) by a spring under the front cover of the carb, this spring adjustment controls how fast the doors open so you dont get a stumble or backfire, then in the float bowl the air flaps are connected to a fuel valve and cam(cams can be swaped for differrent fuel curves, most people use #1, they say if you want to run e-85 all you have to do is swap the cam to #3), the farther the flaps open the more fuel that is metered to the fuel plate

there is a fuel adj screw on top of the carb to adjust rich/lean, the adj is opposite most carbs, clockwise richens the mixture, counter clockwise leans the mixture, all this screw does is open or close the fuel valve a slight bit

Great info Jay thanks a lot. I will wait and see if that carb is worth picking up.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did you pick up a rebuild kit for you Predator?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Where did you pick up a rebuild kit for you Predator?

ebay for around $50
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got my predator in the mail today. Its the non idle circuit version. I was wondering how those upper flapper doors work. They don't seem to move much when you work the throttle open. They only seem to open a little at the last 1/4 of the throttle stroke.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Well I got my predator in the mail today. Its the non idle circuit version. I was wondering how those upper flapper doors work. They don't seem to move much when you work the throttle open. They only seem to open a little at the last 1/4 of the throttle stroke.

engine vacuum/air flow will pull them open, they dont open with the throttle blades

you should be able to push down on the flaps and open them

you can download the complete tuning / install guide from the predator website
Old 11-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Sorry if I missed it but did you post the camshaft part number or specs in that s10?
Old 11-22-2009, 03:45 AM
10 Second Club

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...csid=1091&sb=1
Old 11-22-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice setup
Old 11-23-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You still running this setup? How's it working for you?

Quick Reply: My carbed 6.0L L92 s-10 at the track