Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 impala ls1 install questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 impala ls1 install questions

what oil pan is needed to doe this swap and do i need a new pick up and windage tray? also if i buy the conversion motor mounts will i have to modify any thing or will everything bolt right up? thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Teching In

It all depends on who you go with for your mounts. Your mounts will determine what oil pan pickup and windage tray your going to use. (If you change oil pan the windage tray and pickup will change) BRPhotrods.com, T56kit.com and SLP.com both sell mounts but they are slightly different. Or you can fab your own. Look in the sticky...there are a couple people that have done the conversion. Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We carry mounts and pans in stock for a various configuration of automobiles....
Mounts are cheap I would suggest buying the mounts and doing a mock up before spending the big cash on a pan, yours just may work....

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...457/C/S%202370

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc.../86959/C/S2349
Old 08-11-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

burntrack.. glad the MOD's got you over here to the correct forum...

Suggest you do some research on the early B-Body swaps.. and see what they used.. as well as just following other swap threads that will help to see what your up against... my project is in the Sig link..

good luck.. and keep us posted..
Old 08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

any other advise?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by burntrack
any other advise?
Any specfic questions or areas ?.. it would be better if you pick a area to talk about.. cause we could go on forever on the subject.. or write a few books on a swap or two.!

But, really, It is not that hard to swap in a Gen III/IV engine, like any other engine swap for a car that had different engines. It the details that will get you. Mounts are pertty simple. If you use any plate and make your own frame stands, you can place them right where you want the engine to site (can drill/bolt or weld in place). Same for the Trans.. You just have to think it out with a little research.

In using the SBC motor mounts, there is the Tall and Narrow or the Short and wide mounts.. using a combination of them and the frame mounts, you can vary the hight of the engine as it sits.

Front accossories are something to think about, getting a pull out with them and using the oem will save a few $$ or you can spend a few $$$ on a aftermarket setup. A/C compressor placement is another key item to think it out, OEM or aftermarket or not.

Truck intake can be a consideration.. do you have enough room under the hood, if not.. pick up a use LS1 for cheap or aftermarket one.

Tuning, many sponsors.. I used Jesse at Wait4meperformance for a mail tune that got me going, He flashed out the un-needed code and put a basic tune one.. fired right up ! but other can also assist.

Wiring.. many sponsor again can help.. Speartech is the most noted one on this forum.

So.. pick a area and research and then ask about it.. we can help..

have fun !
Old 08-14-2008, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

just got my edelbrock 29087 and msd 6010. gotta get some new intake gaskets because i snapped the stock ones. can someone tell me if the wires have to be on the knock sensors if im not going to use them n my set up? will they leak oil or something if i take the plug off?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

just an update... got the edelbrock intake installed... had to use the flat style holley intake gaskets for the bolts to thread correctly. (never paid 45 dollars for a intake gasket before!!!! OUCH!) still need to know if knock sensors will leak oil if unplugged. and if i use the 6.0 flexplate do i put the spacer on the crank then bolt flexplate on top of it?
Old 02-01-2015, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Could you post some pictures of your oil pan modifications?

Quick Reply: 1969 impala ls1 install questions