Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GBody LS1 Swap header questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GBody LS1 Swap header questions

I know there are a lot of people doing LSX swaps in GBodies,mine is a little more tricky.Most people are using regular motor mounts with these swaps and buying BRP headers that are built special for these jobs,i am using a motor plate and mid plate for my LS1 408 and my question is how will this affect header clearance?My motor sits in a different location as opposed to motor mounts,so maybe if i buy these Gbody LS1 swap headers for 650 bucks i might have to cut them up and re-fab them any way.Is anyone running a set up like this?Car is the 87 MonteSS in my sig.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Their is no way of telling if the headers will fit. How is your motor positioned? Im assuming its lower and further back than the swap mounts would put the motor. If for some reason the motor sits higher/furter forward I would think they might fit.

Your best bet might be a custom fab up header kit and make your own.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skidmarkSS
I know there are a lot of people doing LSX swaps in GBodies,mine is a little more tricky.Most people are using regular motor mounts with these swaps and buying BRP headers that are built special for these jobs,i am using a motor plate and mid plate for my LS1 408 and my question is how will this affect header clearance?My motor sits in a different location as opposed to motor mounts,so maybe if i buy these Gbody LS1 swap headers for 650 bucks i might have to cut them up and re-fab them any way.Is anyone running a set up like this?Car is the 87 MonteSS in my sig.
What are the specs on the BRP headers?
Old 08-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Horsepwraddict
Their is no way of telling if the headers will fit. How is your motor positioned? Im assuming its lower and further back than the swap mounts would put the motor. If for some reason the motor sits higher/furter forward I would think they might fit.

Your best bet might be a custom fab up header kit and make your own.
Yes,motor sits way back
Old 09-01-2008, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

i used pacesetter f-body non egr longtube headers on my malibu and there not expensive, less than 300...
Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Roller406Bu
i used pacesetter f-body non egr longtube headers on my malibu and there not expensive, less than 300...
DID THEY FIT WITH NO ISSUES,AND HOW IS YOUR MOTOR MOUNTED?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

3rd header tube on pass side is close on the frame but i made room nothing major...i used transdapt motor mounts...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Launching!

I'm doing a similar swap. I have the 1" set back plates with factory small block engine mounts. I haven't bought headers yet b/c of this reason. When I do, I'll probably use the Pacesetters due to the price. I'd rather cut and bang around on a $280 set of headers than a $600-700 set.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Wow, it would be GREAT if I could get away with the $280 PS LT headers on my '79 Monte.

I have the engine ready to drop in, and I have Art Morrison motor mount adaptor plates. They adapt the 4-bolt design to the old 3-bolt design. However, I can't tell if they go on the engine in a means that pushes the engine 2.5in forward, or 2.5in back.

Anyone used the 4 to 3 bolt adaptor plates? There are many the same as the AMs I've got.

TIA!

Quick Reply: GBody LS1 Swap header questions