Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD #6010 users turning 7k and more?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the post I was talking about. MSD acknowledge past problems with Callies cranks

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/sho...ght=6010+crank

Here is another one that had a miss due to some wires being too close

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/sho...ighlight=crank

the reason I asked about the coils is the LS2 units are suppose to be significantly more powerful then the early LS1 units. Sounds like your ***** on motor would make good use of the better coils. Not a cheap upgrade though.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Here is the post I was talking about. MSD acknowledge past problems with Callies cranks

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/sho...ght=6010+crank

Here is another one that had a miss due to some wires being too close

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/sho...ighlight=crank

the reason I asked about the coils is the LS2 units are suppose to be significantly more powerful then the early LS1 units. Sounds like your ***** on motor would make good use of the better coils. Not a cheap upgrade though.
Hey thanks, i read them, wasnt Tosto racing the two brothers with the killer stick cars on Pinks? Is the MSD coils as good or better than LS2 coils for what we are doing here?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive heard the truck coils are better. Maybe try using them if you can get a hold of a set.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Truck coils like mine are hotter:

Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Question

Has anybody experienced violent detonation with LS based engines, and how does it show up on dyno or sound in the car? I dont want to believe thats what im experiencing but i have to consider it. The engine actually jumped on the dyno when this phenomenon hits at 6900 and above. Anyone?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

detonation would produce a rather wild torque fluctuation but it would be load based. Is it possible to free rev the motor past you problem rpm? if you can free rev it but cant get past that rpm on the dyno you could be experiencing an ignition breakdown. Id also like to know if your voltage is keeping up as the rpms rise. Again a Ford problem but I have seen voltage drop dangerously low at high rpm causing all kinds of ignition issues due to that. Remember that if voltage is too low the coils wont be able to get the charge they need and you will end up with a weak spark that may cause a misfire especially at max BMEP which is probably right around where it is breaking up. Also a rudementary check of all grounds and making sure the plugs are gapped correctly and the wires are pushed on all the way would be helpful as well. Jetting could also be to blame, maybe you can make a run and log the AFR to make sure it isnt leaning out. Just remember to make simple changes first and if it doesnt work step back and check something else. Being able to change out parts makes it much more convenient but if thats not a possibilty maybe get a scope and check the spark trace to see if it is in fact an ignition issue. That what I had to do when I found the valve float issue on that mustang. If you dont have a scope or dont know how to use one it might be in your best intrest to obtain one and/or find someone that knows how to use one to test it. That is going to be the only way you will be able to trully verify if it is a spark issue or not.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by matty b
detonation would produce a rather wild torque fluctuation but it would be load based. Is it possible to free rev the motor past you problem rpm? if you can free rev it but cant get past that rpm on the dyno you could be experiencing an ignition breakdown. Id also like to know if your voltage is keeping up as the rpms rise. Again a Ford problem but I have seen voltage drop dangerously low at high rpm causing all kinds of ignition issues due to that. Remember that if voltage is too low the coils wont be able to get the charge they need and you will end up with a weak spark that may cause a misfire especially at max BMEP which is probably right around where it is breaking up. Also a rudementary check of all grounds and making sure the plugs are gapped correctly and the wires are pushed on all the way would be helpful as well. Jetting could also be to blame, maybe you can make a run and log the AFR to make sure it isnt leaning out. Just remember to make simple changes first and if it doesnt work step back and check something else. Being able to change out parts makes it much more convenient but if thats not a possibilty maybe get a scope and check the spark trace to see if it is in fact an ignition issue. That what I had to do when I found the valve float issue on that mustang. If you dont have a scope or dont know how to use one it might be in your best intrest to obtain one and/or find someone that knows how to use one to test it. That is going to be the only way you will be able to trully verify if it is a spark issue or not.
I am going to check and regap the plugs, i also think the heatrange could be too hot for pump gas and this much power and compression. It may experience pre-ignition? I am ready to pull max timing and than maybe add race gas to see if either affects the condition. I do run gaps large like .050"
i will probabaly got to like .030"first and make a trophy pass with the car on sunday.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Teching In

I run a .035 gap on a ngk tr5 if that helps, and I have the l92 heads with a max timing of 31 degrees. Hope you get this figured out.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 936LNOTCH
I run a .035 gap on a ngk tr5 if that helps, and I have the l92 heads with a max timing of 31 degrees. Hope you get this figured out.
I am running around .50" gap and i need to verify they are not too hot, i run 34* timing because it made the most power there on the dyno. I will try closing up the gaps sunday when i can work on the car.Thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Question

Ok i closed up my gaps to .035"and problem was there at same 6800 and up rpm. Any more ideas or people running MSD 6010 above 7k with a LS2?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you verified timing, seems that every one is running some major timing with the MSD box. these engines do not usually make power past 29 degrees.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Have you verified timing, seems that every one is running some major timing with the MSD box. these engines do not usually make power past 29 degrees.
I did and i posted earlier that i set timing while dyno testing and it made more power each time i added 2* from 28* all the way up to 34* I left it at 34* and have kept an eye on detonation with no signs of it on plugs or audibly. The reason this motor likes all that timing is the carb and manifold as well as the size of the hydraulic roller. My compression is 11.4 with .030"quench clearance.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

my s-10 had a msd 6010 and pulled just fine to 7500 rpm
Old 09-08-2008, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

It sounds to me like the 6010 doesn't work with the Callies crank and you are probably chasing a problem you cannot easily fix.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Question

Originally Posted by SMAX
It sounds to me like the 6010 doesn't work with the Callies crank and you are probably chasing a problem you cannot easily fix.
Ok does it make sense to think about a aftermarket controller like a FAST system instead of MSD?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just cant imagine the box not working. Mine works fine but hasnt seen above 6900rpm yet. Do you have a wideband to monitor AF? What carb are you running?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
I just cant imagine the box not working. Mine works fine but hasnt seen above 6900rpm yet. Do you have a wideband to monitor AF? What carb are you running?
I dont have wideband but we did monitor a/f ratio on engine dyno and it was at a safe mixture. I run a heavily modified 750 Holley race carb that i have run over the years with no problems on different engines. I believe that this MSD box needs more coil saturation dwell time to keep my setup lit at that rpm with the power level,compression, and pump gas that im running. I also run a Callies Compstar crank and some people have had trouble with using 6010 and this crank.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't see a test w/ some higher octane, to help w/ the quality of that horse **** you have now...Maybe some 100 N/L, and see WTF goes??
Old 09-09-2008, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Old Geezer;10074003]Don't see a test w/ some higher octane, to help w/ the quality of that horse **** you have now...Maybe some 100 N/L, and see WTF goes??[/QUOTEYour right i didnt get that far but this problem is looking more and more like confused spark timing, i get a pop on intake and sometimes exhaust when it happens, it blew the exhaust off one side when it happened at Barona dragway a few weeks ago.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Sounds like..

[QUOTE=LSwonderfull;10074930]
Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Don't see a test w/ some higher octane, to help w/ the quality of that horse **** you have now...Maybe some 100 N/L, and see WTF goes??[/QUOTEYour right i didnt get that far but this problem is looking more and more like confused spark timing, i get a pop on intake and sometimes exhaust when it happens, it blew the exhaust off one side when it happened at Barona dragway a few weeks ago.
you may be on the rite track w/ the Callies crank issue, with what you are now seeing....What specifically is the Callies issue? Trigger wheel accuracy at hi revs??

Quick Reply: MSD #6010 users turning 7k and more?