Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Clean Fox LS swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

badass swap! looks clean as hell.
muscle is muscle, as long as it has 8 cylinders and more liters than a coke bottle, its fine by me.

Originally Posted by themachasy
I'm a DOHC guy, can get 96-98 cobra motors or mk8 motors cheap, and pistons and rods and to the sky with the power. I'm aware with the junkyard stuff you can go fast, but without spray or forced induction they aren't to fast. I got my 5.3 very cheap and I think the LSX motors are just stronger. I dont dislike 5.0s, just like LSXs better.
dude, the project in your sig, the ls7 lotus would be rediculoussssssssssssss
Old 10-15-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=NJSPDER;10270986]Just tell them that it is already pretty, now you want it to be fast. So you had to put a GM motor in it.

Lol, so true
Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 72Elkytpi
Wont the hole you cut in the shock tower for the header, leave your front end weak as hell. You might want to add some other bracing.
I got a little work done to the car today, I did not like were the motor sat so I moved it back another inch. Since I moved it back I had to move the transmission cross member so that took a little bit of time. I had to cut the strut tower more, so I decided to box it in. here are a few pictures, don't look like I got much done but I did... I did get one of the cold side pipes done and I will work on the other one this weekend and try to get some of the hot side done. I do have to get someone to move the BOV, it is in the way of the cold side piping...

BTW, I think I did a pretty good job considering I suck at welding and the only tools I have for metal work is a chop saw and grinder..

Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WSsick

dude, the project in your sig, the ls7 lotus would be rediculoussssssssssssss
LS(X) lotus 7... will have a 5.3 of undisclosed FI.
Lookin good!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Worked on it some more yesterday. I got the cold piping done but I'm waiting on the silicone couplings to get here so I went to Lowe's and got some 2" plumbing couplings. I got started on the down pipe, I don't have anything to bend pipe so I have to take it to a shop to get it connected to my exhaust.

I'm still waiting on the radiator, as soon as it get here I'm going to get it fitted. Hopefully I can have it off to paint in the next 2 weeks.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow man... I cant say anything about your welding...but your metal fabbing seems to be pretty darn good! You did a nice job on that inner shock tower. Really clean looking. Nice stuff!

Sorry if I missed the info in the thread. Are you running solid motor mounts? Just wondering since things look pretty close between the piping the the shock tower.

And...Im really curious as to how you are going to fit a radiator in there. Not saying you cant...because I dont know what you have planned. Just saying I couldnt figure it out by the pics.

Good luck and I cant wait to see more progress on this! Especially some running/driving vids

J.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Wow man... I cant say anything about your welding...but your metal fabbing seems to be pretty darn good! You did a nice job on that inner shock tower. Really clean looking. Nice stuff!

Sorry if I missed the info in the thread. Are you running solid motor mounts? Just wondering since things look pretty close between the piping the the shock tower.

And...Im really curious as to how you are going to fit a radiator in there. Not saying you cant...because I dont know what you have planned. Just saying I couldnt figure it out by the pics.

Good luck and I cant wait to see more progress on this! Especially some running/driving vids

J.
My welding SUCKS, I can weld pretty good with my welder but it broke so i'm using a friends. For some reason I just can not get the heat and wire speed down, the wire speed is too fast or to slow.

I'm running rubber mounts, I have some more to trim off the top side of the shock tower when I pull the motor back out.

I bought a F-body radiator and i'm going to try to lay it at a angle. I can cut the old lower radiator support and build one out of round tubing if needed. If that dont work then I'm going to take it to someone and have the re-route all the cold piping. I'm just working with the parts I got with the kit and a few parts I have laying around the shop. With my welding skills not being up to par I dont want to order the bends and have it looking like ****.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Looks like your going to have fun with the radiator/hoses.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

When I saw the first post in this thread I was like, yeah right another "I'm going to do this build" and then nothing happens. Looks like I was wrong!

Awesome build, good luck getting it all finished up.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZFSix
When I saw the first post in this thread I was like, yeah right another "I'm going to do this build" and then nothing happens. Looks like I was wrong!

Awesome build, good luck getting it all finished up.
Between the Hurricane and work, the car sat for about a month with out even touching it.

When I started this build I had nothing other than a roller and a turbo kit. I have spent a lot of money in the past month buying everything to get the car were it is today.

If I would have wanted a BBC then it would have been done already but with out having LSX parts around everything has ordered. I'm still waiting on my oil pan, radiator, alternator, tensioner pulley and a few other parts to get everything done to were I can get it off to paint. I'm going to try to get it to the exhaust shop next week so that they can tie the hot side in with the exhaust.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slow5.0.
Looks like your going to have fun with the radiator/hoses.
**** i'm having fun with the whole project, If I did not have the car lift I would have said **** it and made it a heads and cam car

I have a bunch of friends that said they would help with the build and the only one that showed up was my brother... All he did was helped pull the front end off so that nothing got scratched. LOL
Old 10-23-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got a little bit of work done on the car yesterday. I have to get the car to a exhaust shop so that they can tie the down pipes into the exhaust. Ran the oil lines for the turbos and started on the fuel lines.

I also just got this new Camera so I wanted to post some pictures...

Old 10-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Teching In

so what did you do with the car you originally were gonna do this with?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Navi
so what did you do with the car you originally were gonna do this with?
Someone actually gave me $350.00 for it rolling and I sold the motor and trans for $250.00
Old 10-24-2008, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Car is coming along great..Still can't believe how clean that thing is..
Old 10-25-2008, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
I bought it rolling with no motor or tranny but it had a supercharged 331 in it.

I will get the list of suspension up-grades posted... there was too many to remember.

was this the one on racing junk for dirt cheap???if so very clean car was getting ready to come get it but got sold
Old 10-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Are you going to run the truck oil pan?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stock302mustang
was this the one on racing junk for dirt cheap???if so very clean car was getting ready to come get it but got sold
I'm not sure if he posted it on RJ, I seen it on Westsidemustangs... Come to find out he lived close by. I gave $3,500.00

Originally Posted by LS_STANG
Are you going to run the truck oil pan?
I ordered a LS1 F-body pan, the truck pan is hitting the steering rack. Some say the truck pan will work and it may but I have the motor sitting pretty low.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Man that is one hell of a clean lookin fox Chad. Good luck with the build.

Randy
Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blck_01ss
Man that is one hell of a clean lookin fox Chad. Good luck with the build.

Randy
Thanks, I got a little bit of work done to it. The car is ready to go to the exhaust shop tomorrow to get the down pipes tied into the X pipe. I'm still waiting on the radiator, should be here in the next few days. If everything goes good it will be going to paint next week.

Quick Reply: Super Clean Fox LS swap