Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008 | 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

You can clearly see the intake was machined wrong, it was not overtorqued. When you install it you will deal with the same frustations i did. Holes are drilled too big, You have to shift the intake around, ports didnt line up super great, and you will just tighten it down in a sequence that allows the intake to sit as flat as possible.
Old 09-17-2008 | 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

shawn- dont know if this is related but i waited about 6 months on an order for an edelbrock carb manifold (performer) and was constantly told by edelbrock that they were having problems with the foundry and getting production runs going, and they expected it to happen the next month etc etc etc. when eventually they made one and shipped it their agent i was buying from, it was very poorly made and he refused to send it onto me. i then got even more fed up and went for the GM performance manifold instead which fits perfectly.
Old 09-17-2008 | 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

I got my new intake today. MUCH better. The ports were still off a tiny tiny bit side to side (still could see head material) but i got it to sit down perfectly flat and barely torqued them down. I think this one if going to be just fine. There was only one port i could tell that was any different than the rest and it was only machined a tiny bit thinner. Looks great to me! Also Edelbrock contacted me through this site personally to make sure I got the quality intake i wanted. Here's there emails they sent

"Shawn,

I would like to touch base and discuss the probelm you had with your Edelbrock Victor Jr. This was an obvious casting defect and we want to make sure you are completely satisfied with the handling of your replacement. We do value your business.

Regards,
Jason Snyder

Shawn

The replacement will be machined for the o-ring seals. Manufacturing
has committed to ensuring the machined o-ring grooves do not affect the
outer surface of the flange. If when you receive your new manifold you
are not completely satisfied, please let me know.

I would also like to send you an Edelbrock apparel item as a token of
our appreciation.

Please send me your address and size.

Jason W. Snyder
Edelbrock Corp | National Sales Mgr

Awesome company! Thanks guys for all the replies. I'll be taking it to the dyno after a little tinkering and driving this week. Hopefully in the next weeks ill be dyno tuning it.
Old 09-17-2008 | 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
I got my new intake today. MUCH better. The ports were still off a tiny tiny bit side to side (still could see head material) but i got it to sit down perfectly flat and barely torqued them down. I think this one if going to be just fine. There was only one port i could tell that was any different than the rest and it was only machined a tiny bit thinner. Looks great to me! Also Edelbrock contacted me through this site personally to make sure I got the quality intake i wanted. Here's there emails they sent

"Shawn,

I would like to touch base and discuss the probelm you had with your Edelbrock Victor Jr. This was an obvious casting defect and we want to make sure you are completely satisfied with the handling of your replacement. We do value your business.

Regards,
Jason Snyder

Shawn

our appreciation.

Jason W. Snyder

Awesome company! Thanks guys for all the replies. I'll be taking it to the dyno after a little tinkering and driving this week. Hopefully in the next weeks ill be dyno tuning it.
This type of customer service is impossible to beat.
Old 09-18-2008 | 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

"Shawn,

Regards,
Jason Snyder

Shawn

our appreciation.

Jason W. Snyder

Shawn, you got me thinking and I opened the box and measured my 7118 Edelbrock intake. Same situation, the runner walls are definetely thinner at the bottom, some are more than .060" thinner than at the top. I sent an email to edelbrock to see if they want pics, etc.
Old 09-18-2008 | 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah i didnt have a dial indicator to check mine lol. I just figured people might like to check it out. I'm just glad the outside is too thin and not the inside.
Old 09-18-2008 | 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah i didnt have a dial indicator to check mine lol. I just figured people might like to check it out. I'm just glad the outside is too thin and not the inside.
Yeah, that would have been neat. Sucking in some aluminum chunks for the piston to compress. OUCH!
Old 09-18-2008 | 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

yeah then it fuses with your cumbustition chamber and ups yoru compression! woohoo
Old 09-18-2008 | 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For those that bought your Edelbrock intake 2nd hand, you can call Edelbrock directly. I did that when I first got my manifold. One of the vacuum ports was missing and one of the runners had a bit of material hanging down into the runner(it was like a bump or something). I called them and they said they would fix it or replace it if I paid the shipping. I ended up not sending it because I was too anxious to get the truck running. I've been told by another member that if you play your cards right, they will pay shipping for you.
Old 09-21-2008 | 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

George88gta - Any word back from Edelbrock?
Old 09-21-2008 | 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by team39763
No response from them yet.
Old 09-22-2008 | 09:53 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

if you are looking for a QUALITY piece, the GM unit is the ticket.
its unmatched in fit and machining of the intake.
of course, i picked up a lil bit with a victor jr. all depends on what you are after in a setup.
the gm intake weighs TWICE what an edelbrock does. i wasnt at all impressed with the vic jr.
Old 09-22-2008 | 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

i know it sounds silly but some people torque it down at 89 lb/ft as opposed to the necessary in/lb
Old 09-26-2008 | 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by team39763
Its been over a week and no response from Edelbrock. Guess I will have to call them.
Old 09-26-2008 | 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

jsnyder@edelbrock.com

Email him he's on this board he's the one who messaged me to make sure it got straightened out. I'm sure they'll take car of you. They even sent me a shirt and hat.
Old 09-27-2008 | 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

jsnyder@edelbrock.com

Email him he's on this board he's the one who messaged me to make sure it got straightened out. I'm sure they'll take car of you. They even sent me a shirt and hat.
Thanks, Shawn. I will try that route.
Old 09-28-2008 | 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by george88gta
Its been over a week and no response from Edelbrock. Guess I will have to call them.
If you want things done you should always call.
Old 09-29-2008 | 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

jsnyder@edelbrock.com

Had contact with Edelbrock today ( thru Jason). I sent them pics and dimensions and they assured me that my intake has sufficient material around the ports so it should be good to go. Thanks for the help Shawn.
Old 09-30-2008 | 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by george88gta
Had contact with Edelbrock today ( thru Jason). I sent them pics and dimensions and they assured me that my intake has sufficient material around the ports so it should be good to go. Thanks for the help Shawn.
Bolted the intake down today. 11 ft lbs. Retorqued twice. So far no problems. I will let it sit for a week or so and then remove it to check for cracks.

Quick Reply: Why the HELL are my intake runners CRACKING on my Victor JR intake?!!