Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody got an expansion valve setup figured out for a Vintage Air?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody got an expansion valve setup figured out for a Vintage Air?

I would prefer to use the stock compressor instead of a Sanden setup and was wondering if somebody figured out how to convert an expansion valve or which one should be used for a vintage air setup.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The expansion valve is inside the evaporator box and this is sized according to the evaporator size, so if you change your compressor this will not affect the expansion valve size. although it would pay to make sure your original compressor has enough capacity to fill your vintage air unit. if your using a compact etc you should be fine but if your using a gen 4 these are a big evap.
Hope this helps

Phil
Old 09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the compressor also has to be sized according to its load, but 68sstt is correct, the TX valve is sized for the evaporator. Automotive a/c systems are much more forgiving then stationary ones, since they have to be design with wider perameters, since they have to deal with a variable speed compressor, heance the large acculator.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the stock GM 1998 F-body compressor which is a variable displacement type compressor. My Hot Rod Air expansion valve doesn't seem to mind at all, it cools just fine and never had any pressure problems.

Quick Reply: Anybody got an expansion valve setup figured out for a Vintage Air?