Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD 6010 Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MSD's spotty reputation was a big worry of mine when deciding to go carb'd. There really aren't many other options when it comes to firing a carb'd LS motor. I have met too many people who will never own another MSD box.

But so far it has worked for me.

One of the more scary things, when I first bought my crate LS2 motor, MSD did not have a product that worked with the 58x reluctor wheel. Good thing it took me so long to finish the swap, otherwise I would have had a very expensive motor with no ignition. I actually owned a 6010 box uninstalled for almost a year before I realized it wouldn't work. Hard to believe summit let me return it after so long.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well mine was returned on Friday (6010) from MSD and it did start up after plugging it all back in. I also had to upgrade to a more powerful battery 850 CCA. Motor spun over right away but it still backfires through the carb when its cold. I need to do the lap top thing to staighten it out. I think I have #4 pill in to start with. It's been a bitch to get everything working correctly, but finally making progress.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

glad it started ok-the backfire is prob a lean cond, esp when cold, and esp if running a vic jr intake-the carb needs a good shot of fuel, fuel tends to stick to the runners as it makes its way down the intake path-i found the green pump cam to work pretty good, front and back-i tried running a leaner idle, but mine likes it rich-this is prob where the FI outshines the carb, the fuel gets a direct shot into the head, but once your wideopen, prob not that much diff
Old 10-12-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info!! and support
Old 10-12-2008, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Thats excellent to hear that it runs since you have got it back...Mine is on its way back to me as well.

Crossing my fingers that it starts when i get mine back!

Jim
Old 10-12-2008, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Thats good to hear that you got it back and it runs. They said mine is on its way back, I hope everything works and I'm good to go...
Old 10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

1 Bad Dime: That is a nice looking S10 you have, Man alota work in that puppy. Good luck with your new motor. That S10 will haul now!!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. It has been 3 years since I last driven it. I used to have an LT1 in it, but got the speed bug and this happened. lol

Jim
Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Well...I finally got my 6010 back from MSD, AND!...... it didn't start. lol, WTF?!

It has spark when the plugs are out and the engine spins freely, but I can't be sure it has spark when the plugs are in. I'm not sure what to do now...I'll have to wait untill monday to speak to Victor at MSD again.

I checked every single plug by plugging it in to the wire and turning the engine over while I grounded them...every single spark plug had spark while the engine was turning over. I'm at my wits end here, its either something simple I overlooked, but I doubt it cuz I have had nothing but time to check things out.... or its something out of my controll with the MSD ignition itself.

Jim
Old 10-18-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're sure you have your coil pack harness pluged in correctly?

Have you tried a different pill?

Try switching the coil pack harnesses around if maybe somehow they got labeled wrong.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes do like Shawn stated and make sure your battery is good, It has to see like 150 RPM
or so to start. Do you have a lap top hooked up to it so you can see the info.? It will tell you also if you have any bad sensors.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

def no bad sensors...but the rpm is what I fear may be my issue. I have a mini starter that is gear reduced for more torque. The max rpm of the starter is less than the stock starters.

I'll try more tomorrow and see where I stand....

Jim
Old 10-18-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah i have heard of the RPM issues. Thats why i ran copper 0awg THNN wire for my starter and alternator and used a 1000cca battery lol.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

try pulling one plug wire off, use an old sparkplug, ground it on the motor and have someone spin the motor-if you have spark, with all the plugs installed, your prob spinning the motor fast enough
just a thought, maybe where your getting your power from for the msd box might be getting cut off somehow
another dumb question, are you sure your getting enough fuel down the intake to fire it
the MSD instruts. have the color codes for the coils, so you could verify them
stay with it, you'll get it going
Old 10-19-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Make sure the battery is fully charged, leave the charger on and attach a jump box too (if you can) and try cranking it over.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

I actually tried starting it while jumping it with another car. lol I like the Idea of pulling one wire off and using an old spark plug...thats a good idea, i'll give that a go and see what it tells me.

Thanks for the help and ideas so far guys... I know I'll get it going eventually. I have come too far to give up now. haha

Jim
Old 10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Ok so today this is what I did with the time I had.....

I tried starting it up today with another car jumping it to ensure I had maximum power for starting. I had all the spark plugs installed but I used an extra plug i had lying around to check and see if it was sparking while I was turning it over, and with all the plugs installed..... I get no spark at all?

I get spark at every plug when they are all removed. So this tells me that I have a cranking rpm issue, and I think I'll have to try and use a stock starter to see if it helps. I am using a bad *** mini starter that has tons of torque, but It spins slower becasue of gear reduction. My only problem is getting the stock starter to fit...its a bit too long for where i have the engine sitting in my engine bay and the mini starter is perfect. So sometime this week I'll have to make it fit and see if the stock starter can fix my woes.

crossing my fingers,
Jim
Old 10-19-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

So, do you advice me to MSD or edelbrock? I am oversea !!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

I still say MSD.... I'm sure its just my combo. others who have used these with stock or near stock setups have had nothing but success. the MSD is programmable, and the edelbrock ignition is not. Don't paint yourself into a corner so to speak by using the edelbrock controller.

Jim
Old 10-19-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1SS4ever
So, do you advice me to MSD or edelbrock? I am oversea !!!!
MSD makes both boxes, they just put a different label on it.

You will still be better off with the programability of the MSD box.

1BadDime
MSD makes a starter for the LS motors that may be shorter than the stock unit. Probably not what you want to hear, another MSD product. But I have it and it spins the motor like a ****.

If you are getting a strong spark at the plug with all the plugs out, then you can pretty much rule out bad sensor.

Total bush leaque but you might try push starting the car just to see if it matters.

Quick Reply: MSD 6010 Help ASAP