Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Repairing glued portion of convertible top?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing glued portion of convertible top?

I'm having a problem with the back portion of my top on m y '00 Firebird. On the back portion, above the rear window, where it's stapled to the frame, the strip that actually attaches to the frame for the staples has come off. I took it to a local repair shop to see what needed to be done, and they said that the heated glue that attached the cloth for the staple strip had come off - upon further inspection, that looks to be right.

I'm surprised that a portion of the top that actually attaches to the body is simply glued together, but that certainly seems to be the case! It also looks like the flap that folds under the top is glued as well, and is starting to come off. The shop wanted to remove the whole top and stitch or reglue that portion. Has anyone done any repairs of this manner? It seems like if I could get the right type of adhesive, this could be done carefully while the top is on. Would the DAP contact cement work here? Or would it be best just to stitch the thing together (which would suck a little, because it would leave a stitching line across the exterior top portion of the cloth.

Any advice / opinions?

http://nozomiyume.dyndns.org/~nozomi...rtibleTop1.jpg
http://nozomiyume.dyndns.org/~nozomi...rtibleTop2.jpg
Old 12-02-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine came apart on the exact same spot so any help would be greatly appreciated as well!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look in the sticky. Dustin has used contact cement in places. Not sure if it is the same location.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Yeah, sadly this is in a different location - in the front, contact cement works because it's also stapled / screwed in. In the back, the glue appears to be the only thing holding it together, so I'm not sure if it would be strong enough or I should just get someone to remove and stitch that area together :\

Quick Reply: Repairing glued portion of convertible top?