Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Leaking in rain.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Leaking in rain.

This is a dd vert.

Once or twice of 2 years owning the car that i had to go through car wash in the winter, no water got in.

If im driving in rain, water starts falling on my shuolder and this happens on passenger side as well.

Is there anything I can do to fix this without replacing the weather strip.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is some weatherstripping grease you can buy, but I have not tried. Mine does the same thing on driver side, there is a thread on here about adjusting windows that you can try. My window was broke and replaced, and hasnt leaked since.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Default push up

as the top closes, push up on the horizontal portion of the stripping where it meets the top of the window glass.

if this fixes the prob them this tells you what you need to adjust.

close top as mormal and look at the alignement.
close top as described above and compare alignment.

hope this helps, it worked for me anyway.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

I was thinking of using somekind grease or lubricant to treat this but didn't know if there was something specific people used.

I see what both of are getting at. Thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to get a leak from where the driver's side mirror meets the glass, caused by the water running up to that spot while driving in the rain. People here told me about a product called Gummi Pflege Stift (rubber care stick). One application on the weather stripping and the problem was solved. Leaves no greasy coating or anything - just softens the weatherstripping.-
Old 04-26-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the lubricant helped with that and also cuts down on the wind noise if/when you get it coming around the windows. i used some silicone based stuff, but didn't massage it in or whatever.

i just ordered that gummi pflege stuff on ebay just a minute ago. i've been looking for it for a while now (forgot how to spell the name until you posted it here).
Old 04-26-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

nice this is exactly what I was thinking.

Is Gummi Pflege Stift only on ebay or auto stores carry it too?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've forgotten where I had bought it, but it was definitely over the web. I suggest that you do a google search with the name and see which vendors come up
Old 05-20-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to you guys who have tried the gummi pflege stift;
have you noticed if it cuts down on wind noise with the top up? at certain speeds, i can hear a slight amount of wind coming in towards the back of the driver's window. it isn't loud and doesn't leak, but i know its a seal issue. i tried the gm weatherstrip lubricant and it helped to a certain degree, but the weatherstripping is still stiffer than it should be.

i got my gummi pflege stift in the mail, just havent had the chance to apply it.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Let me know how that stuff works for ya'll. I have the same problem, though my fix was a bit different. I went to the autozone and picked up a pack of dielectric grease and messaged the weather strip right where the top meets the A-pillar (my leak). Seems to work great! We've had nothing put downpours here all week, and hasn't leaked a drop since the treatment. For only $0.86 not a bad deal huh?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Banned

How bad did the verts leak when they were BRAND NEW?

DM
Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
to you guys who have tried the gummi pflege stift;
have you noticed if it cuts down on wind noise with the top up? at certain speeds, i can hear a slight amount of wind coming in towards the back of the driver's window. it isn't loud and doesn't leak, but i know its a seal issue. i tried the gm weatherstrip lubricant and it helped to a certain degree, but the weatherstripping is still stiffer than it should be.

i got my gummi pflege stift in the mail, just havent had the chance to apply it.
::bump::

bob, how were the results for you with gummi pflege
Old 06-21-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1Wonder
Let me know how that stuff works for ya'll. I have the same problem, though my fix was a bit different. I went to the autozone and picked up a pack of dielectric grease and messaged the weather strip right where the top meets the A-pillar (my leak). Seems to work great! We've had nothing put downpours here all week, and hasn't leaked a drop since the treatment. For only $0.86 not a bad deal huh?
For sure its a great deal. I am going to try this as well before the other stuff comes in. Both of my leaks are in the same spot as you.

I didn't get a chance to fix this yet because I been busy with end of semester things and graduation

Quick Reply: Leaking in rain.