Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Some newbie to convertible questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Some newbie to convertible questions

Not a newbie to these cars but im looking at my first vert and have a few questions.

1. Was the parade boot an option or standard? The car doesnt have one and it seems very hard to find them.

2. I only have mild bolt ons/cam planned for this car so I dont need a full roll cage but who makes the roll bar or whatever it is called like the picture bellow.

3. Who makes the cover like the picture bellow for the back seat.

Pictures are taken off of here so if they are your car thanks for letting me borrow them lol
Attached Thumbnails Some newbie to convertible questions-bar.jpg   Some newbie to convertible questions-cover.jpg  
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I was kinda newbie about this too...lol
Old 05-24-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. If you are refering to the covers that hide away the top when down, yes they come standard.

2. The "roll bar" you are refering to is called a light bar.

3. The covers are called tonneau covers. They are 2 pieces and cover the back seat with 2 raised humps on each side vs the stock covers which are 3 peices and just cover the top while down.

You can find these parts at various sponsors.

Sent you a PM of a vendor.. dont know if they are sponsor or not so I wont post it.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pic of rollcage in my sig pic....and yes, the tanneau covers come standard with our cars. If you didnt get one with yours, may want to ask the person/dealer you bought it from. I dont know of too many vert owners who keep them in the car, they take up space in the trunk for hauling grocerys
Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

Question

A little Hi-Jack here, but still on topic.

With the tonneau covers, do you have to remove them when you put the top up or are they designed to stay in place with the top up/down?
If you must remove them to raise the top, then what do you do with them -ie; what if your out and it rains, lol.

DM
Old 05-25-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

the parade boot has to come off to get the top back up, and its the same as if you had the convertible down when it rains normally, just takes a few more minutes to put the top on, the parade boot isnt really practical for everyday driving, however is a must if you show the car.

and to the OP if you are interested in the light bar, pm me, i have one that i pulled out of my car.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jasonk
the parade boot has to come off to get the top back up, and its the same as if you had the convertible down when it rains normally, just takes a few more minutes to put the top on, the parade boot isnt really practical for everyday driving, however is a must if you show the car.

and to the OP if you are interested in the light bar, pm me, i have one that i pulled out of my car.
lol, you beat me to it. I was trying to find your for sale thread on your light bar for the OP but couldn't.

As for your reply to my post, I was referring to the A/M tonneau cover that have the humps behind the front seats.

DM
Old 05-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Launching!

The guy doesnt have the parade boot, I asked him about it. I may go with the wolf 4 point bolt in. Im not for now planning much past mild h/c but I dont like the look with a light bar/roll bar and the roll cage can be had for around $500 from what i've seen. Just have to wait to talk to the credit union tommorow.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Well someone showed up with cash before I could get there. Thanks for the responses dudes.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unless you're richard simmons, when we say "parade boot" this is what we're talking about:
Old 05-28-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Just to clarify terminology:

The term historically used to describe the piece that covers the "top well" that the top folds down into when lowered is called a "top boot". For most convertables this is made of soft material and is snapped in place after the top is lowered, and must be removed to raise the top.

The 4th-gen f-bod verts use a 3-piece hard plastic cover for this purpose that came w/ the car from the factory. Since it is hard and sturdy enough to sit on, it became known as the "parade boot". The 3 pieces are stored in an accompanying leatherette bag designed to contain and protect the 3 hard plastic pieces. This bag would then be placed in the trunk, and take up most of the available trunk space. But regardless of what you call it, "parade boot", "top boot", "top cover", it covers the top when it is lowered into the top well without covering the rear seats.

The humped cover that not only covers the top when it is lowered into the well but also covers the rear seats is called a "tonneau cover" or a "speedster tonneau". While giving the car a sleek 2-seater appearance, it renders the rear seat useless for anything except storage. F-bods are not the first cars to have these neat covers made for them by the aftermarket. Tonneau covers were also available for early '60s Thunderbirds.

Please don't refer to top boots/covers as a "tonneau". One covers the rear seats, the other does not.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Oh, and that "light bar" provides zero structural support or roll-over protection, it is purely cosmetic.

Quick Reply: Some newbie to convertible questions