Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

good or bad to leave top down in the garage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default good or bad to leave top down in the garage?

the last few weeks i just left my top down in my garage since i like keepin the tonneu cover (vert boot one) over it and i know you guys and gals have own opinions taking it on and off all the time. i just use it for cruise nights and nice days. is it good or bad you think to leave your top down a certain amount of time?

2000 ss artic white conv a4
Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, keeping the top down all the time would not cause any harm. It may just be harder to latch due to the fabric not being tight when up.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Mine's down most of the time in the garage and dont seem to have any issues, it's not a DD either.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Rockstar

Since this dry weather's started back up I've left my Top down, Vert Boot on, and wind screen on it for about a week now. It's gonna stay that way too unless it hails when I'm driving.
Shouldn't hurt a bit IMO.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

I leave mine down sometimes, but then I'm scared of getting spiders in my car. Tennessee has black widows and brown recluses.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 522 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
I leave mine down sometimes, but then I'm scared of getting spiders in my car. Tennessee has black widows and brown recluses.
Not only spiders but any other kind of critter. Mice can destroy a car. If you feel comfortable that you have no issues with anything crawling around in your garage then you probably will be OK. The fabric will probably have a few tough creases but that's about it. My top is up and the windows closed tight every night in a secure garage. Nothing worse than cruising around when you hear a blood curdling scream coming from your wife/girlfriend that something just crawled up her leg. You could end up in a ditch!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I leave mine down all the time. No problems. Just have to stretch the fabric back out.

Man up. We have them here, too. If she screams, just say something like "Wow, ususually you don't do that without a lot of foreplay. I must be really good today..." and keep driving.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I leave mine down sometimes in the garage. Most of the time its up when I pull it in though. But I dont see a problem with leaving it down at all....
Old 06-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Rockstar

Speaking of Mice...I was in my 'ol 78 Bronco and I saw something moving at the base of the steering column. It started crawling up my arm, when I realized what it was, I grabbed it and chunked it out the window. Scary as hell. lol
Now, back on topic, sort of, when I first bought my Z, it had an ant infestation in the drivers side B pillar. They got in with the top up.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Last summer when I had my top replaced I asked the upholstery guy that same question and he said it was no problem to leave the top down while the car is garaged. So most of the time if I dont drive it for over two or three weeks the top is up but if I know the car will be driven the top stays down....but if yalls summer heat is like ours, last weekend we took the car out on Sunday and we baked, temps here are already close to 100, its too hot here to go topless until about late august or september or of course at night. Mild temps rock!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Launching!

This is true. I'm from Nashville and found a Black Widow crawlin around the garage one time. Needless to say that after my car sits for a week, I'm checking things out before I slide in.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

I keep it up in the garage because I hate it when my interior gets dirty always seems to happen when I leave it down
Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

I have a white top which is vinyl and if I have it down for a while it does get wrinkles. They go away after the top is up for awhile.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always put it up, the more it sits on itself the
more "shiny" the fabric gets at the hoops where
the sitting pressure is. Don't know if that could
become permanent, but not chancing it.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:22 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7th Darkness
It may just be harder to latch due to the fabric not being tight when up.
Ran into that issue when we left the top down for about 2 weeks straight. It was a biotch to latch it again the first time.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I leave the top down for months at a time. My employer has a semi secure parking garage and it sleeps in my garage at night.

No problem at all other than a little difficult to latch on the few occasions I've closed it.

Quick Reply: good or bad to leave top down in the garage?