Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Another top question... on my 00 I noticed wear yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another top question... on my 00 I noticed wear yesterday.

So this wear looks like something is rubbing very hard on the top and is starting to look thin. The top is only at most a year old.

It is about 2 to 3" right behind the first bow in the top. If you put the top down the wear is right where the top folds over when you put the top down.

Anyone else have that issue with their top?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have that, but I see a little wear on the inside of my 02 near the rear window.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I dont have that, but I see a little wear on the inside of my 02 near the rear window.
On the inside eh? So you see that from in the car with the top up?

I was talking about on the outside of the top, such that you see the wear when you are standing by the car looking down at the top when it is up.

The upholstery shop looked at it, the guy there, not the owner I usually chat with, told me that is why he wouldn't own a car like ours, "cause it isn't a factory vert, they leak, have air noise and never fit right...." then he showed me a section in the top supplier catalog that said

"Top wear, rips and broken glass on the GM/Robbins designed top is not warrantied because of design errors "

The owner is supposed to look at the top in the morning, hopefully he will have better new/opinion
Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdrussell
On the inside eh? So you see that from in the car with the top up?

I was talking about on the outside of the top, such that you see the wear when you are standing by the car looking down at the top when it is up.

The upholstery shop looked at it, the guy there, not the owner I usually chat with, told me that is why he wouldn't own a car like ours, "cause it isn't a factory vert, they leak, have air noise and never fit right...." then he showed me a section in the top supplier catalog that said

"Top wear, rips and broken glass on the GM/Robbins designed top is not warrantied because of design errors "

The owner is supposed to look at the top in the morning, hopefully he will have better new/opinion
yeah its on the inside, and you have to be in the back seat looking at it to see it.

The only mark I have on the outside/top, besides the neighbors fn cat hairs, is what appears to be dust from an oil seepage on the last "rib" near the back. I usually have the top down, so it doesn't really bother me.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 235 Likes on 186 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Bummer, this is on your black replacement top, right?
ASC manufactured the original factory tops. My original top is pushing 11 years and the only wear I've noticed is the little elastic strap that slides over the mechanism's bar along the side and pulls the rear seat inner side curtain taught. I seriously doubt the original tops had "design errors".

Originally Posted by bdrussell
The upholstery shop looked at it, the guy there, not the owner I usually chat with, told me that is why he wouldn't own a car like ours, "cause it isn't a factory vert, they leak, have air noise and never fit right...."
WTF does he mean by that? Its aggravating when a dork doesn't know what he's talking about. He's obviously still thinking about the 3rd-gen f-bods who's verts in the later model years were designed as an afterthought and outsourced for installation. However, the 4th gen f-bods were designed from day one to have a 'vert body style, resulting in a much better fit and higher chassis stiffness than the 3rd gens. Same story for the C4 vs C5 'verts. Funny, my nearly 11 yr old original top fits perfectly, doesn't leak and is quiet as a mouse on the highway w/ the top up. While the top installation was outsourced by GM to ASC, they are certainly a "factory designed vert".

Hope you get your top fixed OK, good luck.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Bummer, this is on your black replacement top, right?

Hope you get your top fixed OK, good luck.
Yep, it's on my new black top . And my original top had made it 8 years before the window gave up. Hopefully when they look at it I will get better news.

The new top fits great, doesn't leak, no wind noise etc. I didn't have the energy yesterday to argue the point about it being a factory vert with the pinhead, especially since he wasn't the owner that I have always directly dealt with. Seems like I run across people all the time that indirectly insult cars I own. .

I had a friend this weekend tell me. "I saw a tBird like yours for sale, different year, but I was interested only because I thought I might make money on it, I think all tbirds are ugly....." Nice, insult my car....

Here is the old ugly bird by the way....

Old 07-10-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 235 Likes on 186 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sweet rims and fat-white walls. You gotta respect any car that old and clean, even if it was an ugly Edsel or early '60s slant-eyed Fury. But I loved the mid '60s T-Birds when I was a kid, sequential turn signals and all.

Two days ago I was returning to work from lunch at home and I pulled up behind a white '69 442 w/ the top down. This thing looked SO original, down to the wire-spoked hubcaps. I was in my '68 Cutty, so I figured the grey-haired driver might look back and notice me and wave. I followed him for over a mile and not once did he acknowledge I was there, even after I pulled up next to him at the next light right before he turned right. I wanted to give him a thumbs-up, but the old fart was oblivious. Still a sweet ride.

Quick Reply: Another top question... on my 00 I noticed wear yesterday.