Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 521 Likes on 375 Posts

Default Closed

Tail of the Dragon is closed for quite some time (possibly Sept 1, 2010) due to a rock slide this past week. They (local news channel) just inteviewed the Deal's Gap owner and he told 26 of his 30 employees there wouild be no work this year. The Cherohala Skyway is still open but if travelling a long distance you might as well wait until it is all open. I-40 has been closed for 4 months now also due to rock slides. Just a nasty winter here in the mountains.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question:

Is 129 really CLOSED, or can you drive to the rockslide and make a u-turn and go back to the crossroads (deals gap store)?

I think the skyway is more fun and scenic myself, anyway. However, expect mroe traffic on it now!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

The barriers were set up right at the TN/NC state line. Deals' Gap has access only from the NC side. They will still get a little business with the Hellbender and Moonshiner28 but that's about it. As far as approaching the 'tail' from the TN side I have no idea if you can even go on it. They probably will have traffic use the Foothills Pkwy or just turn around. I'm going tomorrow (Saturday) with a car club and we will use the Foothills Pkwy to get to the Skyway so I should be able to see what is transpiring on the TN side. I'll post again.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Update

The TOTD road (129) is completely closed from end to end. There was a TN cop at the barrier too handing out maps to different routes. The estimated opening now is July 31. The Foothills Pkwy was open. The Cherohala Skyway was excellent as usual. On the NC side of the Skyway they set up a police checkpoint. They just quickly glanced at our driver's licenses and off we went. We did the entire loop thru the national park. By the way the photographers are set up now on the Skyway. They had some great shots of our group posted already. I would post them but it wasn't the T/A so not LS1 related. When the weather warms up a bit more I still highly recommend putting your top down and hitting these roads. Incredible convertible driving but certainly outstanding for any sports car whether a 'vert or not.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TN side is closed between foothills and where the dragon starts at Tabcat bridge. That 2-3 mile stretch along the lake is where the landslide was. I wasn't aware they put barriers up at the state line.

I suggest if you head north from Tellico Plains, take hwy 360 north to Vonore, another good road! From there you can take 129 to foothills, and head north to Walland/Townsend area.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

360 was excellent! Good suggestion and exactly what we did, just reversed.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon