Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Creating the rear look of a Porsche carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The plan is to cut this spoiler in half in the middle and create legs for the center and to use fiberglass to mold it to each of tonneau cover.

I attached a jpeg file of my design.
Attached Thumbnails Creating the rear look of a Porsche carrera GT-wing.jpg  
Old 11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you put too many things together it just looks gaudy. A few well thought out items just looks better!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roll cage w cover would look hella better than the light bar.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99sscv
I have a lite bar and tonneau's, but don't use together. I picked up 4 pieces of 90 degree tubing at home depot sleeved 2 together (made 2 hoops) you need to tack a bolt and washer at the bottom of each. Then you drill 4 bolt size holes in tonneau. You can remove hoops quickly for different look. Install rubber grommets if you are OCD. If going painted route use larger diameter tube. If using roll bar padding use smaller tubing. total cost under $20. Guessing the height is the hardest part of the job

Got a picture?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

like it was said before. if YOU like the way it looks and YOU'RE the one driving it and YOU'RE the one paying for it, who cares what someone else thinks.
Props though for the idea. Ive been wanting to do something different as well. I have the light bar on my 95 t/a rag top. Yes someone always has something to say but i like the way it looks and love the tonneau look too. Problem is I have hard time spending that kinda good money on something new just for me to cut it up to customize it. Keep us posted let us know how your project comes along

If any one has tonneaus they wanna dump PM me. I do prefer damaged ones. Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 03:59 AM
On The Tree

The covers you are looking for are available @ Afterthought Auto. Light bars are still available through Deft Racing. I am ordering a light bar this week. I dont think these types of aftermarket parts will be on the market forever. I have the stock top covers painted body matching, and think the light bar will look really good on the Vert. But then everyone has their own opinions on accessories.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Bad 408, what happened to your project?

Sorry to Necro the thread, but it late and I'm doing some searching and came across this.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Hey Bad 408, what happened to your project?

Sorry to Necro the thread, but it late and I'm doing some searching and came across this.

This got back burner-ed for a v6 to ls1 swap and then a transmission rebuild and then stereo.

I still plan to buy the RKSport tonneau cover and start messing with fiberglass to make those arches above those humps right behind seats.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
This got back burner-ed for a v6 to ls1 swap and then a transmission rebuild and then stereo.

I still plan to buy the RKSport tonneau cover and start messing with fiberglass to make those arches above those humps right behind seats.

Funny thing is, I was just talking about doing this, last week. There's a place here that does foam stuff, big *** blocks, *****, cones, etc and I was going to see if they could make some hoops that I can start from.

Quick Reply: Creating the rear look of a Porsche carrera GT