Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Faded Plastic Interior Pieces

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Faded Plastic Interior Pieces

THe plastic interior pieces on my vert are all faded and gray in some over exposed areas (you know, typical sunny weather in Hawaii. My top is hardly ever up). Any suggestions on how to restore or modify them? Shoe polish? re-painting? Leather/vinyl wrap?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Wash the parts with Clorox, wipe with automotive grade lacquer thinner, spray several light coats of VHT charcoal vinyl dye, and finish with several light coats of SEM low luster clear coat.

Here is the link to the VHT dye from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VHT-SP954

You can use SEM dye too. I am using the VHT dye and SEM clear. I found the VHT first. Check out this video by the FBODY WAREHOUSE. I called them to ask questions and Pete was very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMYl...874EAAFD8AA8F7
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I was watching Muscle Car the other day and they dyed some parts for a project and they prepped the parts with a PPG kit you can buy at auto body shop supply companies. And then you dye w/products as shown above, FWIW.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

The interior in my gta was very dry/brittle looking and what i did was buy some stp spray, like armoral, and sprayed all the parts heavily. If it was drying a little I sprayed it again and then left them like that for like 2 days. I then wiped them down and they looked great. BTW they were not installed when i did this.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone tried vinyl wrapping ? I've been wanting to get my dash wrapped and getting the rear plastics done too would look nice .. a nice pair of seats , lighting and stereo and you get an F-body with a kickass interior if you ask me

Quick Reply: Faded Plastic Interior Pieces