Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Help! Convertible Top Gets Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Convertible Top Gets Stuck

So I was pulling out of work and I dropped the top. About 2/3 the way down I heard a pop and it got hung up. I closed it back, got out and looked around to see if anything was lodged in it. Nothing. I thought it was just some fluke (wishful thinking) and tried to drop it again. Same thing. So then I raised it halfway up and examined the internals and saw there was some little skinny tubular piece of metal just dangling. I tucked it away, assisted the top down nice and snug and went about my merry way. I got home, raised the top, without a problem, and went inside. I forgot about the whole issue until I came back out to leave again. I started to put the top down, and there's the dreaded pop again. I know it has something to do with that 7 inch long little piece of metal. I examine more closely and it has a little plastic boot on it. Naturally, I start looking for something that looks like it could secure the piece down. I found a little piece that the boot popped snugly over and thought that I had fixed the problem. Not so. As soon as I let it down again, POP! The pieces re-disassemble themselves. I see how all of it is attached together, where the little nuts and bolts go, and go check the other side to see how its rigged up. The other side is missing the piece completely. The bolt hole is there, but the little rod has been removed. I don't know how to fix this and it seems like something a shop would charge asstons of cash for. Has anyone had this problem? I'm gonna get pics up tomorrow. It's dark right now.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump. Really? No one has had this problem?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

without pics don't have any idea
Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

We need pics. I just had to fix my top because of a similar problem and while w was in there I was amazed at all the parts that made the top go up and down. Pull the bar out and shoot us some pics so we can identify it.

Quick Reply: Help! Convertible Top Gets Stuck