Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

UMI Convertible 3-Point Subframe Connector Group Purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet! Can't wait to get my car up in the air.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow72
Although this GB is done I wanted to give this thread a bump because I just installed these yesterday and it couldn't have gone any better: fit was great, everything lined right up, hardware worked perfectly, and the pieces look nice under the car. Win all around; thanks for the nice product!

C

Glad to hear

Ryan
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Yesterday I finally got around to installing these. As an engineer in the manufacturing field, let me give you my opinion. This product is a 10/10 and is an extremely well thought out product from a design standpoint. The fitment, hardware selection, welds, powercoating, and tightness to the body are all top notch work! I couldn’t believe how well the bars hug the undercarriage, without any clearance issues at all. You can tell this wasn’t just hacked together- this product was well thought out from a manufacturing, tolerance, and fitment standpoint.

With that said, let me give some tips to installing these.

1.) Undo the rear control arm bolt, but DON’T drop the control arm. I did this on one side and the rear shifted. It took my neighbor to assist me in forcing the control arm into place while sliding the new bolt through the connector and the arm. Alignment took a long time and a lot of effort to line up. The other side I did NOT drop the arn, and alignment was much, much easier.

2.) While working on the rear end of the connector, have the front of the connector elevated near the subframe. I used a box for this.

3.) A magnetic pick-up tool helps with positioning the front bar the bolts connect to. I was expecting this to be a challenge to align up, but it was a very smooth process with the magnet helping.

I have yet to drive the car, as I’m doing several projects at once, but I have no doubt I’ll be happy with the seat of the pants test. I wish all installs where this smooth and straight forward.

In case anyone cares about weight, the bars and hardware come to 41 lbs. The bars came VERY well packaged as well. No way they were going to get damaged during freight. One of the few times my expectations were exceded for an aftermarket part. Good job UMI!

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 03-16-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Just put mine on this week, fit is great. Only issue is now I have a LN set of UMI 2pt Vert SFC's FOR SALE @ $125 pickup...
Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the UMI 2pt weld in. Do you notice a difference with the 3 pt? If so what kind of difference?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Yesterday I finally got around to installing these. As an engineer in the manufacturing field, let me give you my opinion. This product is a 10/10 and is an extremely well thought out product from a design standpoint. The fitment, hardware selection, welds, powercoating, and tightness to the body are all top notch work! I couldn’t believe how well the bars hug the undercarriage, without any clearance issues at all. You can tell this wasn’t just hacked together- this product was well thought out from a manufacturing, tolerance, and fitment standpoint.One of the few times my expectations were exceded for an aftermarket part. Good job UMI!
Glad to hear you like them and I am happy to see we were able to meet your expectations
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Glad to hear you like them and I am happy to see we were able to meet your expectations
No, thank you. I'm so impressed, I've been doing some research on your site and I'm drooling for some front control arms now. I also saw you had a job posting for CNC operators. I would be open to it on the side if I was closer - I run a Mazak 5-axis, and have access to a Haas TL-2 and TM-2 just down the hall. Would be fun to work on automotive parts!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

No, thank you. I'm so impressed, I've been doing some research on your site and I'm drooling for some front control arms now. I also saw you had a job posting for CNC operators. I would be open to it on the side if I was closer - I run a Mazak 5-axis, and have access to a Haas TL-2 and TM-2 just down the hall. Would be fun to work on automotive parts!
Well again I am glad to hear! We take pride in our products and spend lots of extra time on making sure the quality is excellent. All tubes on the 3-Point SFC's are CNC notched, this is how we get them to fit so well and be consistent. Many of our competitors are using band saw methods and belt sanding notching to produce their items and we feel their consistency isn't always there.

We currently run (6) machining centers as well as a variety of manual mills, lathes, saws, tube benders and press brake. It can be a lot of fun!

The Mazak's are awesome machines.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Luving mine too..

Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

I love mine too but I have no pictures yet. I will get some when I get the oil changed and can get under it. Only problem is I scrape occasionally when backing out of the garage but I need to get more rock for the driveway and put it outside my garage bay so I don't have as far of a fall down out of the garage. Only scrape when I don't crawl slowly out of the garage.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi UMI, I am loving the subframe connectors and strut tower brace, but it is time to upgrade again. Could you PM me a "best price shipped" for the On-car adjustable panhard rod with poly bushings, and non-adjustable lower control arms with poly bushings, with the required grease, and sway bar end links for the front and rear. All in red please.

I was going to hold out until the next sale, but...just couldn't wait.

Thank you, looking to hear from you soon!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Hello Conrad, Unfortunately right now we aren't running any sales or special offers (its the busy season).

Glad you like the SFC's and we appreciate the return business!

Ryan
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Default Just purchased a set of these

After reading this post, I was convinced to put a set of UMI 3 point subframe connectors on my low milage CETA vert. Sounds like a real cost effective way to upgrade an already, not bad WS6 car. I purchased the car last August with 7500 miles on it and wished I had followed this forum a little closer when the SFC's were a group buy.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Nobody had issues with the fuel lines running in the channel where the left side connector bar tucks in? It won't pinch the fuel lines once it's in place?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

I never had an interferance issue....with anything.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MuscleCarNut711
Nobody had issues with the fuel lines running in the channel where the left side connector bar tucks in? It won't pinch the fuel lines once it's in place?
I never had an interferance issue....with anything.
it only happens on the 94-97 verts, had the same problem, it even mentions it in the direction. I had to trim the plastic that was covering mine to get the front part to bolt in and sit flush. I have the 2point.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Ended up making/putting in spacers to place the bars down lower away from the fuel lines. And man, do I love these 3 points! It's a whole new car.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

How much are they now? I have a 2001 Trans Am vert.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

350 for bolt in, 340 for weld in 3 pt.
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...6dtgpbpnflkn95
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Had these 3-point connectors (along with strut tower bar and tunnel brace) installed on my SS back in May this year. My buddy who owns a '01 Firehawk coupe noticed how stiff my convertible is compared to his car. Definitely made a difference.

Quick Reply: UMI Convertible 3-Point Subframe Connector Group Purchase!