Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

T/A Fiberglass trunk lid ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/A Fiberglass trunk lid ???

Does anybody know where to find a fiberglass trunk lid? I saw somewhere that VFN made one, but I called and said that they did not.

I bought one of ronnie dukes T/A vert race cars...

When I bought it, it didn't come with a trunk lid.. everything else is going to be replaced by VFN lightweight parts, and I would like to remove the hinges and run dzus fasteners...

I could do this with a modified stock trunk... but I figured if I could find one, this would be easier...

Or if you have a lead on a cheaper stock truck lid.

Thanks Trevor
Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Does anybody know where to find a fiberglass trunk lid? I saw somewhere that VFN made one, but I called and said that they did not.

I bought one of ronnie dukes T/A vert race cars...

When I bought it, it didn't come with a trunk lid.. everything else is going to be replaced by VFN lightweight parts, and I would like to remove the hinges and run dzus fasteners...

I could do this with a modified stock trunk... but I figured if I could find one, this would be easier...

Or if you have a lead on a cheaper stock truck lid.

Thanks Trevor
The factory deck lid is already fiberglass, not sure how to make it lighter unless you remove some of the internal bracing underneath.

AFAIK, nobody makes an aftermarket deck lid. The only prototypes I've seen are those that incorporate the coupe's wing, not to make it lighter. And I've yet to see one of those put into "production" and offered on the market.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bet a aftermarket lid could drop 15#... I won't be using the stock hinges.. so I don't need/want the internal bracing. Im just going to pin it on.. My back-up plan is to buy a stock one, and cut it apart... but I'd rather just buy one, it would probably be the same cost.

Thanks for the help though, I couldn't find one, I just was hoping I missed something.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I ran up to the junk yard today, and came home with a camaro and firebird deck lid for $100

Ill cut these up and make them work.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, just in case anybody is wondering on this.

I cut up a stock firebird decklid, dropped the weight from 36# down to ~14# just by cutting out the inner layer and the hinge supports, etc. It still has plenty of rigidity, if I continue with this route, I plan on shaving it down to ~50% of its current thickness, to get weight to ~8#

I think my new plan is to take a VFN fiberglass/CF pin on hatch and cut it down to be a decklid, and that would allow me to bolt on a T/A high rise spoiler, which I think would look killer on a vert.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

So the factory hatch with no glass or spoiler in 36#?!?

pics of your cut up hatch please?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the convertible section... I was talking about a convertible trunk lid...

Quick Reply: T/A Fiberglass trunk lid ???