Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

split seams

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default split seams

Just purchased a reasonably low mileage one owner 02 TransAm convertible. Car is in good condition. Only two problems, the crack on the drivers interior door panel and the seams on both sides of the rear window are split. The threads have broken, but the material is not torn. Anyone else have this problem? Any tips for repair or just wait until it is registered and try to find a good upholstery shop?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Personally, if the top was in good condition, I would 'nip it in the bud' and get it professionally repaired before it gets worse or torn. A few hundred dollars to fix a really decent original top would be a good investment. An honest professional will also tell you how the Haartz fabric is holding up and if the work will be better than just a temporary fix.
Just how bad is it? I'm trying to get a mental picture. I just looked at my top and there isn't one thread that is a problem. If the prior owner never used Raggtopp (or a protective spray) then the top may be getting dried out. You wouldn't want to throw out good money if the top was never maintained. Again, an honest professional will tell you the situation.
One other test you can try is the 'water drop' test. Does the water bead up immediately upon contact with the fabric? It should, and roll right off. Use about a teaspoon worth.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Personally, if the top was in good condition, I would 'nip it in the bud' and get it professionally repaired before it gets worse or torn. A few hundred dollars to fix a really decent original top would be a good investment. An honest professional will also tell you how the Haartz fabric is holding up and if the work will be better than just a temporary fix.
Just how bad is it? I'm trying to get a mental picture. I just looked at my top and there isn't one thread that is a problem. If the prior owner never used Raggtopp (or a protective spray) then the top may be getting dried out. You wouldn't want to throw out good money if the top was never maintained. Again, an honest professional will tell you the situation.
One other test you can try is the 'water drop' test. Does the water bead up immediately upon contact with the fabric? It should, and roll right off. Use about a teaspoon worth.
Well, I just tried the water test and the drops soak right in. Guess that is a bad sign. I have some Raggtop on order, should be here next week. The split seams are on either side of the rear window and are about 12 inches long. As I mentioned, the fabric looks fine, its just the stitching that rotted away or unraveled. Car isnt registered yet, roads around here are all covered with sand/salt. So I guess the best plan is to treat it with the Raggtop and head to an upholstery shop in the spring. There appears to be plenty of access around the seams, so if the top is in OK shape, they should be able to repair. I will take a few pics and post them.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by george88gta
Well, I just tried the water test and the drops soak right in. Guess that is a bad sign. I have some Raggtop on order, should be here next week. The split seams are on either side of the rear window and are about 12 inches long. As I mentioned, the fabric looks fine, its just the stitching that rotted away or unraveled. Car isnt registered yet, roads around here are all covered with sand/salt. So I guess the best plan is to treat it with the Raggtop and head to an upholstery shop in the spring. There appears to be plenty of access around the seams, so if the top is in OK shape, they should be able to repair. I will take a few pics and post them.
Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails split seams-p1010020_opt.jpg   split seams-p1010022_opt.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Thanks for the photos. That is a shame that the top was not treated.
I just tried the water test now myself to see if I needed a re-coat (it's been about 6 months) and not one drop absorbed into the material. That's the way it should be.
Once your Raggtopp arrives it is imperative that you totally clean the top with no stains or dirt marks showing. Once completely dry then you can apply it. From what you describe, you will need several coats over several days.
Just a tip: When applying, make sure you don't get any of the protectant on the glass or paint. It is a bear to remove. I slightly open the convertible top and slide old rags and towels over the glass and body and then lower the top back down over them, which holds the rags and towels in place. Once you feel everything is protected from overspray, apply slowly and evenly. The rear window glass is tough to protect but I'm sure you can improvise. Although expensive (I think I paid $25 per can shipped) it is a great product. My T/A has 33,000 miles now and the top is in very good condition. It is garage kept which certainly helps but I feel the Raggtopp is also responsible for the condition. Best of luck!
I use it on my other convertible too, and also two other convertible cars I owned in the past. Feel free to PM if you need to.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Thanks for the photos. That is a shame that the top was not treated.
I just tried the water test now myself to see if I needed a re-coat (it's been about 6 months) and not one drop absorbed into the material. That's the way it should be.
Once your Raggtopp arrives it is imperative that you totally clean the top with no stains or dirt marks showing. Once completely dry then you can apply it. From what you describe, you will need several coats over several days.
Just a tip: When applying, make sure you don't get any of the protectant on the glass or paint. It is a bear to remove. I slightly open the convertible top and slide old rags and towels over the glass and body and then lower the top back down over them, which holds the rags and towels in place. Once you feel everything is protected from overspray, apply slowly and evenly. The rear window glass is tough to protect but I'm sure you can improvise. Although expensive (I think I paid $25 per can shipped) it is a great product. My T/A has 33,000 miles now and the top is in very good condition. It is garage kept which certainly helps but I feel the Raggtopp is also responsible for the condition. Best of luck!
I use it on my other convertible too, and also two other convertible cars I owned in the past. Feel free to PM if you need to.
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I need to move her to my heated garage next week, to clean the top and start the treatment. Rest of the plan is to wait until spring and get her to an upholstery shop. Car will be a garage queen for the winter months and will have a permanent home in the heated garage when my project car heads to her new home.

Quick Reply: split seams