Old 07-06-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why does it suck...

To sell a vert!!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know I really miss mine some days but I think I am going to pick up another 99 Z28 next weekend so that will take my mind off of it.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol ya , I have my low mile trans am vert and can't sell it at all. If it was a T-top the car would have sold pretty fast.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by hfthe3rd
Lol ya , I have my low mile trans am vert and can't sell it at all. If it was a T-top the car would have sold pretty fast.
The convertible buyers market is always thin. Right now less than 1%, yes 1%, of all new cars are 'verts. That is why you must make the effort to present a truly sweet ride with no issues in your ad. A car that is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately. The low miles (if truly low) will help immensely as well. The car must be priced right. A fellow member just bought a very nice '99 'vert with 28k miles on it for around $13,000. This is an accurately priced example. A good deal for the buyer and the seller probably couldn't get much more. My own T/A 'vert is two years newer with 40k miles on it. I would expect this same pricing when all is said and done, even though the car may be worth more, like $15k or so. It is truly in very good to excellent condition and a trophy winner at some shows. Worth doesn't equal cash in hand unfortunately. Are you in this price range for a similar ride?
Summer is certainly the right time to sell, probably the only time in the NY upstate. That must be a really thin market for 'verts. Best of luck!
Old 07-07-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm asking 9,500 for a 98 trans am vert that has a cam,stall, gears all bolt ons ..has 76,xxx.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hfthe3rd
I'm asking 9,500 for a 98 trans am vert that has a cam,stall, gears all bolt ons ..has 76,xxx.
It's a little high but certainly not scaring anyone away if they are interested in making an offer. You are really limiting the target audience with those mods though. Not your fault if that's what you wanted, but now selling the car is tougher. Most, not all, buyers of 'verts don't want cams or significant mods. They are immediately worried about abuse, whether real or imagined. The convertible crowd is more of a cruising crowd. You can just about forget about women buying your car which eliminates a good percentage right off the bat. Older guys, maybe, but mostly a younger male will want your car, and unfortunately that is where the cash is least available, in the pockets of younger males. Hopefully the guys with modded 'verts will chime in here but I think I have it covered. We all wish you the best with the sale. Be patient. Are you in Autotrader or where??
Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Craigslist , a few car sites, Facebook ... No autotrader yet
Old 07-08-2014, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We didn't consider any modded convertibles when we were looking for my Wife's SOM SS (it will get some subtle mods now, however - some maintenace related, some things that the wife wants to do). The only reason that we were looking at convertibles was because my wife wanted one. Honestly, I tried to steer her to a T-top 99 Hugger Orange Z28, but she wanted the convertible.

Best of luck with your sale.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're chasing a double weak demographic, between the
majority who don't care, and of the remainder a fear of
Somebody Else's Hack Job (mods). If I was picking up
another 'vert I'd be favoring an unmodded one myself,
knowing pretty well how bad most people are at mods,
choosing mods and basic maintenance for that matter
(which can expose weakness for modding to break).

You're selling the sizzle, not the inventory. Make a
more appealing come-on, their emotion is your friend
and critical thought, not so much.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I know what you mean, I'm deff no hack because I had everything installed at a local speed shop. I will do my basic oil changes and stuff but that's it.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be in the same boat if I ever tried to sell mine. It only has 45,000 miles and all work was done professionally and have receipts to prove it, but most people want to mod a car to their exact tastes, and finding one that looks, sounds, and performs that way you want but already built by someone else is very difficult.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Exeodus
I would be in the same boat if I ever tried to sell mine. It only has 45,000 miles and all work was done professionally and have receipts to prove it, but most people want to mod a car to their exact tastes, and finding one that looks, sounds, and performs that way you want but already built by someone else is very difficult.
You nailed it!! So many owners don't quite understand the difficulty in selling modded cars. It's a serious question to ask yourself before the modding begins. Personally I would make the car the way I want it, but also realize that it may not fetch the big $$ later. Each person has to make that decision.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah verts aren't a easy sale especially up north. I'm in Erie so I'm right by you. When I had my 91 firebird vert everyone and their mom loved it . Came time to sell and hardly no calls. It's like people love them but don't want to own them. Mines only a v6 so I'll get hit hard but maybe it'll attract younger crowd because of low insurance etc.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been looking for a nice, low mileage, minimally modded WS6, Firehawk or SS vert on and off for the past couple of years. Nice ones are far and few between in the northeast (NJ, NY and New England). And the few that are nice are priced like it's still 2008....lol. An SOM automatic would be a perfect fit. It may be a thin market but the top 10-15% of this market is doing pretty well.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like car soup for buying / selling cars. i would also email photos of my car to various camaro / chevy car clubs if i was selling mine. cheers goodluck.

Quick Reply: Why does it suck...