Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

12 disc changer

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 12 disc changer

Yeah, I know that CD's are becoming obsolete, my 2015 Colorado doesnt even have/offer one. However, radio recepton around here isnt the best, you tend to lose stations very quickly ( at least the ones I like). So, I am considering finding a used factory 12 disc changer for my 2002 Transam convertible, this seems to be the most cost effective solution since I already have cd's and the car isnt driven all that much. Problem is that the car didnt have one from the factory. Does anyone have a pic showing where/how it would install on the drivers side of the trunk ( the convertible top pump is in the same area). Factory radio is a Monsoon, with cd, so I believe that the wiring is there and that the radio will control the changer. Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing to consider is loading CD's music onto a flash drive. I just plug my flash drive to the front of the head unit. Don't have to load and unload cd's. Also, if the head unit doesn't have a USB port, it will likely have an auxiliary port that you can connect a "walkman" to.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. The radio is the original radio. It doesnt have a USB port and I cant find any mention of an AUX port in the owners manual. Car is all original and that is my plan.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by george88gta
Yeah, I know that CD's are becoming obsolete, my 2015 Colorado doesnt even have/offer one. However, radio recepton around here isnt the best, you tend to lose stations very quickly ( at least the ones I like). So, I am considering finding a used factory 12 disc changer for my 2002 Transam convertible, this seems to be the most cost effective solution since I already have cd's and the car isnt driven all that much. Problem is that the car didnt have one from the factory. Does anyone have a pic showing where/how it would install on the drivers side of the trunk ( the convertible top pump is in the same area). Factory radio is a Monsoon, with cd, so I believe that the wiring is there and that the radio will control the changer. Any ideas?
1st thing, pull back the carpeting on the driver side trunk well, near the top motor, to see if there is a harness connector there for the CD changer. I believe all '02s were pre-wired w/ this harness (not positive though), but if you don't have this harness, you might as well forget adding the factory changer. If you are set on retaining the factory HU, you can use a small FM transmitter adapter connected to an MP3 player or your phone to get the music to your HU via the FM tuner. These aren't too expensive, but may be hard to find these days.

If you have the changer harness, there are I believe two mounting bolts that holds the changer right above the top motor on the driver side well. Look under the carpeting for these. You might have to add a bolt (its been a while since I've had my changer out to service the top motor). The changer will have a couple of brackets on it that these bolts go through, although I'm not sure if the brackets on a changer for a coupe are the same as the brackets on a changer for a 'vert. I'd take a pic of my installation, but its still in storage and won't be out for a least a week or so.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Johnny. I removed the side carpeting and the connector was there. Plugged in the cd changer and it actually worked. The player came with brackets but I did not see any studs/mounting holes in the sheet metal. Not quite ready to start drilling holes, but I doubt that my velcro idea would work very well, the side carpeting is very thin and would start moving around. So if you get a chance, a few pics of how this things bolts down would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK, here is what I have found. Following is a list of part numbers that you would need to attach the 12 disc cd player in a convertible that didnt have a factory install.
You will need:
1. One #16 bracket, part #10274254, $4.34
2. One #20 bracket, part #10428324, $3.60
3. One #23 bracket, part #10276577, $3.51
4. One #18 nut, part #11516780, $0.63
5. Four #19 screws, part #11503044, $16.00

Two #15 retainers ( part number 10027015) are already on bracket #16 so there is no need to order them.

Bracket #23 mounts under the carpeting and the the vertical stud on the bracket will protrude through an existing cut (made at the factory) in the carpeting. Use 3M double sided to mount as this will hold it ok.

The long bracket ( 10276577 ) was spot welded, if you want to try your hand that is one way to go, the other option is the doublesided tape. I plan to try the tape first, hate to start a fire in the trunk. Of course, you could always drill and use self tapping screws as well.

Most parts sites show these parts as discontinued. I found one that showed them in stock. I placed an order, lets see if they show up.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not surprisingly, I just received an email that my order was cancelled, parts discontinued. Off to the hunt again.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to extract the cd tray from the 12 disc unit. I know if you do it wrong a part will break in the unit and you are screwed.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

My comes right out. You just slide the door to the right and it ejects ( need the cable plugged in).
Old 04-17-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sfd330
Does anyone know how to extract the cd tray from the 12 disc unit. I know if you do it wrong a part will break in the unit and you are screwed.
I just took mine apart to check something, if you take the black case off there is a white switch and will force the case out
Old 04-17-2015, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

If you don't work out your cd plan, search the Jason Novak mod. Its awesome, better then the changer.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
If you don't work out your cd plan, search the Jason Novak mod. Its awesome, better then the changer.
I like that! For now, its working fine. I glued up some MDF and painted flat black. Glued velcro to the bottom and attached to the rug/shelf. I then reversed the standard brackets and used double sided tape to secure the CD player to the MDF. Seems to be holding OK.

Quick Reply: 12 disc changer