Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Does anyone even know that 4th gen convertibles exist??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 07:07 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

My 01 SS weight distribution improvement, launch enhancement, less brake dive.

More air circulation under the hood

Doesn't affect charging at all.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:24 PM
Banned

OP started this with "Does anyone even know that 4th gen convertibles exist??"

Almost no one today. Antique cars are an esoteric fetish of very few, and an even smaller subculture is the convertible wing. Based on the dialogue here, Mega-cynic William Goldman who wrote The Princess Bride had it right, though he wasn't writing about convertibles "Nobody knows nuthin bout nuthin". He was a cranky guy, but smart. Probably why he was cranky.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Thunder
OP started this with "Does anyone even know that 4th gen convertibles exist??"

Almost no one today. Antique cars are an esoteric fetish of very few, and an even smaller subculture is the convertible wing. Based on the dialogue here, Mega-cynic William Goldman who wrote The Princess Bride had it right, though he wasn't writing about convertibles "Nobody knows nuthin bout nuthin". He was a cranky guy, but smart. Probably why he was cranky.
It's a bizarre question. Of course people know 4th generation convertible Camaros, Firebirds and Trans Ams exist. The question should have been: Why do people ignore convertible 4th generation F-bodes?

Convertible cars are generally worse than their hard top counterparts for chassis flex, handling and weight. They aren't the performance choice for those reasons. Secondly, you have to be one of those people that are into the convertible lifestyle or at the very least live in an area where having a convertible isn't a miserable experience.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
It's a bizarre question. Of course people know 4th generation convertible Camaros, Firebirds and Trans Ams exist. The question should have been: Why do people ignore convertible 4th generation F-bodes?

Convertible cars are generally worse than their hard top counterparts for chassis flex, handling and weight. They aren't the performance choice for those reasons. Secondly, you have to be one of those people that are into the convertible lifestyle or at the very least live in an area where having a convertible isn't a miserable experience.
For others who are not liars who claim I posted no proof:
"generally worse" has nothing of value here. The 4th gen vert has nothing in common with the "generally". GM did not do what it usually does when it comes to the 4th gen vert. They spent extra $ making JUST the vert 98-02 into the most rigid chassis they ever built for any F body from 67-02. If you own a 4th gen HT/T-Top YOU don't have the welded in L shaped frame brackets of the 4th gen only verts. Sadly, for you. Nor the K-frame braces, nor the floor brace behind the shifter, nor the welded in extensions going from the trans tunnel toward the sub frame. Sadly, FOR YOU, as all the 4th gen HT/T-Top cars were ignored at the factory for installing all these great OEM modifications. The 4th gen HT/T-Top cars ARE wet noodles compared to the 4th gen verts. I own one of each and before I started welding on both, OEM the 98 HT was vastly inferior in chassis rigidity compared to the OEM 01 vert. Those who INSIST that is false are just ignorant of the facts. Instead of staying ignorant, find photos on the net. Learn the truth.

You wrote: "The question should have been: Why do people ignore convertible 4th generation F-bodes?"
The answer might be a matter of taste but more likely the answer is they are ignorant of the many advantages of the 98-02 convertibles. Ignorance is its own punishment.

Last edited by LSX Thunder; 08-28-2023 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally would not want anything other than a convertible so I cannot compare my experience to t-tops or a hardtop. Removing and replacing t-tops to me is a pain in the a--. Roughly 7 years ago I had Midwest chassis two point weld in frame connectors installed, the difference was immediately apparent. My car is stock height by choice which runs, rides and corners amazing for 25-year-old technology. Just thought I'd share.

Quick Reply: Does anyone even know that 4th gen convertibles exist??