Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Sirius On Your Vert??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sirius On Your Vert??

Just wondering where you guys placed the antenna?? That is all!!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mount it between the nostrils, like a hood ornament!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seen people put it inside the car by the windshield, which, now that i think about it, may be the only option for a vert.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:39 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

The antennas really need to be mounted on the outside of the car on sheet metal for the best reception. I did car stereo for 20 years and have seen guys try to put them on the dash but it just doesn't work well . Mounting it on the front of the trunk lid would my suggestion.It's a magnetic base , correct? It should work fine there and just lift it periodically to clean under it.If it uses double sided tape clean the trunk surface very well before applying and it shouldn't cause any damage.Sirius doesn't tend to be as forgiving reception-wise as XM and I think you'll be really disappointed if you put it on the dash.This is just from my experience with these units.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

i have xm and i mounted my antenna under the hood. i have the micro one that's about as big as a matchbox. i put it there first only temorarily b/c i didn't think it would work well but it never drops. it's been there for 1/2 a year now.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

When we installed XM and Sirius units at the company I used to work for, it was in a building with a metall roof. The XM work with the car all the way inside the shop, no problem but you had to have the car outside before the Sirius units would work. I can't explain why that was, it just worked out like that.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Yeah I used to hang out a lot at one of the local car audio shops, they sold sirius and they had to drive the car outside before they got service also. Oh, they had a metal roof as well.

I think I am going to put it on the trunk lid. Im thinking that the magnet wont work too well on the trunk seeing that it is mostly fiberglass, but if not I will go the 3M double-sided tape method.

Has anyone painted them before. I have heard the only thing to watch is painting it with a metallic paint. My car is white so I dont have to worry about that.

What kind of paint would be the best to use?
Old 11-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by qwikz28
seen people put it inside the car by the windshield, which, now that i think about it, may be the only option for a vert.
same here... passenger side dash. drove for 13 hours from phoenix to denver and it didn't cut out ONCE.

Last edited by Mevin; 11-26-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Have mine on the dash and it works well.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just threw mine on shell above the gas tank..it wont move anywhere sitting on the carpet..yes i had to be outdoors for it to work, but sometimes it would work in my garage..i did have xm instead but i think it will work the same..my buddy put his on his dash right against the windshield in his vette..he had the really small antenna and you really coudnt even see it..he also had a porsche and he mounted it inside his trunk and it still worked..
Old 11-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Launching!

cool well I guess I will try the dash first seeing as that will be an easier install.

thanks guys
Old 03-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Default painting antennas

Originally Posted by johnboy
Yeah I used to hang out a lot at one of the local car audio shops, they sold sirius and they had to drive the car outside before they got service also. Oh, they had a metal roof as well.

I think I am going to put it on the trunk lid. Im thinking that the magnet wont work too well on the trunk seeing that it is mostly fiberglass, but if not I will go the 3M double-sided tape method.

Has anyone painted them before. I have heard the only thing to watch is painting it with a metallic paint. My car is white so I dont have to worry about that.

What kind of paint would be the best to use?

There have been posts on some of the other boards, for example
Sirius Backstage that there is now a company called ColorMatchAntenna that paints both XM and Sirius antennas to match your car color. You can either send in your existing antenna or just buy a new one from them. Some of their customers posted on that sirius backstage site and they seemed pretty happy.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Launching!

This threads pretty old!! Dont even have the car now!!