Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

ORIS Windstop

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORIS Windstop

Well I was finally going to dish out the money for the ORIS windstop from auto afterthoughts but they are sold out and apparently the company is not making anymore. So, does anyone know where I might find one. I searched the net and no luck. I havn't tried Ebay as of yet. Here is a pic of what they look like.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I got the same problem. Apparently, Oris made the last windstops for Fbodies about 3 years ago. Afterthoughts bought all their inventory.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

I guess I procrastinated to long in buying one. Well if I don't find one I guess I'll get the tonneau covers that incloses the whole back seat area. I was debating on which one to get. I like the looks of the tonneau but i think the windstop would be more functional. Not to mention cheaper.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how durable the tonneau's are. I was interested in getting a pair for my TA and was curious about how they hold up to shaking, body movement, and how secure they are. Anyone with them wanna comment on their experience with them?

- Brian
Old 04-13-2005, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got them but they are in the box unpainted...forgot I had em...will have to get them painted when i get the car painted
Old 04-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Good news update from AfterThoughtsAuto...

Hi Rob,

Well it looks like we fussed enough and a couple customers tracked down ORIS too and they have agreed to produce more parts for us. ;-) We have put in our order and hope it goes through smoothly. I'll turn the order button back on in case you want to get an order in place. If so I'll update you on shipping as soon as I have more information.

Sincerely,

Deanne Wagner
Afterthoughts Auto
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com
Old 04-22-2005, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Thanks ZeeVert. I just sent them an email. I'm not going to miss out this time. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:11 AM
TECH Regular

One of the guys has em on this website and i just bought mine and they are sitting back home in the states getting ready to be painted
Old 05-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Launching!

The windstops are apparently in and available at AfterThoughts for $210 + $18 shipping. Go to:
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/camconwin.html
Old 05-15-2005, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

yep I got my email from after thoughts yesterday.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Launching!

That was quick. I ordered mine on Sat night, and it was delivered today (Thurs). I'll play with it tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

I got mine in yesterday as well and installed it.

A quick warning about installation...

The instructions call for the bracket screws to be torqued down. I didn't get to the required specification when the screw snapped in two. The bracket pieces then fell into the well. I had to take the side panel off and remove the speaker to be able to get the large bracket out. The small top piece of the bracket appears to be gone for good. So I ended up going to the local hardware store and found a small bracket that could be modified to work as a replacement for the top piece of the bracket.

Review:
The top itself works very well to cut down on the wind when the windows are rolled up. At highway speeds (~70), there does seem to be a slight increase in the wind noise, but there is not much turbulence in the car.

With the windows down, it does seem to cut down on the wind a fair amount as well. However, once you hit about 45, there is a fair amount of low pitched whistling from the windstop. Once you hit 60 or greater, there is too much other wind and road noise to notice the whistle though.

With the windows down and the windstop folded down, I didn't notice any difference in the wind in the front seat. The windstop did whistle though after I hit about 45.

Also, I noticed that the three piece tonneau cover fits very tightly between the windstop and the trunk lid. The middle piece of the cover also rubs against the back brackets of the windstop, scratching the cover. The tight fit also makes the tonneau cover squeak when driving over bumps/rough pavement. I haven't seen a way to adjust this, but will play with it this weekend. Please let me know if ya'll see anything different with yours.

Last edited by kyle_l; 05-20-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. Does anyone know kyle l? He doesnt accept emails and he hasnt been on here in a while.

I lost one of my brackets and want to know what kind of bracket he bought.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Holey Resurrection Batman!
I'd been gone for a while, and imagine my surprise to see this one back.

Sorry, I can't help with Kyle.

I also can't imagine what kinda bracket he could have found at the store.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

My brother found one of the brackets, so I think I will just fab up something to be a mirror image of the one that I have. I've actually been using the wind stop without the brackets installed.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

man i bought one of these wind stops a couple of years ago. i couldn't figure out how to put it on. i called afterthoughts and they were clueless. if anybody can walk me thru this hit me up.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ShowstoppaTransAm
man i bought one of these wind stops a couple of years ago. i couldn't figure out how to put it on. i called afterthoughts and they were clueless. if anybody can walk me thru this hit me up.

Same here. I lost the mounting hardware and instructions, but found the hardware later on. Its really simple. The rear clips slide over the rear seat belt loops. The front clips slide into the hardware that is provided with the kit. Since I couldnt find my hardware I was simply sliding the front under the side tonneau covers. I finally mounted it correctly and can take some pics if you want.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

And of course, FYI, you can't run the windstop and the factory boot too at the same time, just wont work unless you mod the boot to fit around it.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
And of course, FYI, you can't run the windstop and the factory boot too at the same time, just wont work unless you mod the boot to fit around it.

Are you talking about the 3 piece tonneau cover? I use mine without any modification.

I've read that you can't use the RKsport rollbar with the windstop without modding.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Launching!

My windstop works my 3pc factory just fine, too.

Quick Reply: ORIS Windstop