Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Raggtop cleaner highly recommended!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005 | 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Bleach White might scare me a bit.

I think the material of the top is acrylic - whatever that is.

There are chemicals which make plastics brittle.

If you bleach polyester, it almost disintegrates in your hands if I remember my laundry mistakes correctly!!

I would think that Mean Green or Castrol Purple would be safer than Bleach White. However, Bleach White can sure do a nice job. It is the ultimate tire scrub and fatal to aluminum wheels.

I'd wait for a bunch of people (not one) to say BW is ok.
Old 07-14-2005 | 01:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gwcrim
I tried Ragtopp on my white top and was unimpressed. I have some light stains that it didn't budge. I'm thinking of trying Bleche White. Anyone ever try that?
Don't use bleach. When I got my new top put on the guy there told me the top has a protective coating on it and bleach eats away the coating causing the top to get dirty easier, be harder to clean, and speed up the rotting.
Old 07-16-2005 | 10:56 AM
Teching In

Don't use anything with bleach in it. It is too harsh for the fabric. Plus, it is an oxidizer--it will be bad for your paint and metal parts.

One thing I have seen first hand....Someone I know used a bleach based cleaner on a black top. When it dried, the top color ranged the full spectrum from dark green to yellow, streaked and blotchy. It was a real mess.

If a product specifically made for vert tops will not remove the stain, take your car to an automotive trim shop or an automotive detail shop and get their recommendations. Without seeing your specific problem first hand--I'd be cautious about selecting the recommendations for a fix.
Old 07-16-2005 | 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

No bleach! Steam cleaning may work?

Quick Reply: Raggtop cleaner highly recommended!