Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Ordered a Windstop

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ordered a Windstop

Oris stopped making them for a while, but enough people and AfterThoughts Auto still wanted them that Oris agreed to make more. I ordered mine today. Cant wait till it gets here........

Old 06-16-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Black_97'Z
Oris stopped making them for a while, but enough people and AfterThoughts Auto still wanted them that Oris agreed to make more. I ordered mine today. Cant wait till it gets here........

Cool! Tells me how you like it when it gets to you.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Launching!

UPS delivered it today, fit and finish is good and easy to install.......I'll get better pics and road test it when it stops raining.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Launching!

I got mine about a month ago... Easy install. I love the look; up or down.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48...opP1000494.jpg

I've had a problem with the latch on the driver's side sliding out completely. From vibration? Anybody else had theirs come loose?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZeeVert
I got mine about a month ago... Easy install. I love the look; up or down.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48...opP1000494.jpg

I've had a problem with the latch on the driver's side sliding out completely. From vibration? Anybody else had theirs come loose?
No problems with the latches comming loose, but I did a security mod to mine.....

I put the metal slider in the locked postion and drilled a hole in them just before the plastic piece. Then got some small luggage locks from Home Depot.
The sliders will only move about 1/16 if an inch with the locks in place.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Quick question! Why would anyone want a windstop?

I see no use for it. When my top is down so are my windows. I can't see driving around with the top down and my windows up in conjunction with a windstop in order to reduce the wind/noise. I am not trying to bash anyone, but if I drove around with my windows up and my top down I would expect someone to slap me, lol.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:58 AM
Staging Lane

I got mine for two reasons.

The main reason is that my four year old complains about the wind "blowing her away". So she can sit under the windstop and the wind is cut down significantly. It even works fairly well to cut down the wind on her with the windows down which is how I use it when I'm not on the freeway. (It doesn't help the front seat passengers when the windows are down.)

My other reason is to more comfortably have the top down during late night trips. I make frequent cross country trips (~1000 miles each way). When it's around 40-50 degrees and I'm hitting 80 or so, it gets a bit chilly. With the windstop, I can enjoy having the top down and be comfortable at the same time.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Gotcha!

Well if there is a real need for one then there it is. I never thought about a child sitting under it...hmmm.

As to driving on the highway with the top down when it is 40 to 50 degrees "NO WAY"! You have ***** (lol)!

But as they say "To each his own". Enjoy bro.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Love the Windstop, and Afterthoughts is great to deal with. And no, I don't ride around with my windows up. It's very effective on it's own. I don't have to shout to have a conversation at high speeds with my passenger. I can go longer in the winter without having to put the top up. Don't have to worry about loose items blowing out of the car. Don't have to turn up the radio as loud, even though it has auto volume. The wife doesn't need a hat or to put her hair up. I can have a conversation on the cell more comfortably. With my bad sinus condition, I no longer get a migraine from riding around with the top down from the wind. I could go on...
Attached Thumbnails Ordered a Windstop-windstop.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSport; 06-17-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Super Sport I'm not even going to start on you with that reply...OMFG!

But like I said ENJOY bro.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

i agree with musclehead. the only people i see driving verts with windows up are chicks. but whatever you guys like
Old 06-17-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by musclehead
Quick question! Why would anyone want a windstop?

I see no use for it. When my top is down so are my windows. I can't see driving around with the top down and my windows up in conjunction with a windstop in order to reduce the wind/noise. I am not trying to bash anyone, but if I drove around with my windows up and my top down I would expect someone to slap me, lol.

somebody slap me then, when it's chilly or too hot I have the top down, windows up with the ac or heat on. Some people make derrogitory comments to me about it, but hey whatever it works for me so screw them and what they think...driving advice from people without the brains to drive an ls1 m6 convertible has no value to me (half kidding)
Old 06-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Launching!

I got it because I go on long trips with the top down. And after a couple hours of driving you feel beat up from the wind. I still drive with the windows down and the Windstop in place and it really helps. Also, you can have the top down in colder weather and not freeze to death.

EDIT: I also think it adds to the looks of the F-body Vert......

Last edited by Black_97'Z; 06-17-2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you fold the windstop down flat too?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

People probably thought I was crazy today too, actually. Today coming home from work was a first and I was surprised. Doing about 60 on the highway and it started sprinkling but I wasn't feeling it in the car so I figured I'd put the top up when I started feeling it. Well it started coming down pretty good and I never felt a drop! Even the cargo area didn't seem to catch a drop that I could tell. When it was coming down pretty good I passed a ~60 year old couple in a late 90's 'vert mustang with the top down too! I revved and smiled and waved as I splashed by it was pretty funny. I was impressed how it stayed totally dry in there because I was going as slow as 60.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
People probably thought I was crazy today too, actually. Today coming home from work was a first and I was surprised. Doing about 60 on the highway and it started sprinkling but I wasn't feeling it in the car so I figured I'd put the top up when I started feeling it. Well it started coming down pretty good and I never felt a drop! Even the cargo area didn't seem to catch a drop that I could tell. When it was coming down pretty good I passed a ~60 year old couple in a late 90's 'vert mustang with the top down too! I revved and smiled and waved as I splashed by it was pretty funny. I was impressed how it stayed totally dry in there because I was going as slow as 60.
I've run into a shower with the top down going about 70mph. The interior stayed totally dry till I slowed down to 35-40mph, then rain started comming in. People gave me weird looks with the top down in the rain.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a 11mo. old .....
going to look in on these
Old 06-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Cris you need to get some headers and CAI before anything, LOL.. Its Kevin btw
Old 06-20-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic