Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Loose sound and straining hydraulic motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose sound and straining hydraulic motor

Hello!

Not too long ago I noticed a strange sound coming from the rear driver’s side of my vehicle. The sound can be described as a loose, squeaking/rubbing rattle. Also, on one occasion, I noticed a sliding metallic sound when I stopped abruptly. Since hearing these sounds, my convertible motor sounds like it is straining when the top is being moved up or down.

Is it possible that something has come loose from the frame of the convertible top or the hydraulic motor? Are there any parts that are known to do this?

As a possible cause, I recently jacked up the rear of my car, one side at a time. Because of body flex, could this have caused damage? Should I be concerned when jacking up the car (i.e., do not exceed x number of inches on one side at a time)?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Note: I might have been a little misleading when describing the sound that I heard when I stopped abruptly. The sound I heard was a sliding sound, not a grinding or squealing. Additionally, I only heard the sound on one occasion.

To me, it sounded like whatever came loose was sliding around somewhere.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the top twisting when putting it up or down or does it stay straight the whole time? First check your lines running from the pump and see if you have air bubbles in them, if so check out the sticky at the top of the forum to bleed your pump. Also pull the trim panel off in the backseat and look around to see if something is loose, you shouldnt be able to move anything by hand so if you can that is your problem. Post up what you find...
Old 12-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your response! I'm not going to have time to attack the problem until after the holidays. I'll be sure to post up what I find out.

Thanks again -- merry xmas.

Quick Reply: Loose sound and straining hydraulic motor