Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a '00 Z28 with 48k miles, GM certified, for $10.5, last summer. Just put some really hard thought into that if you have a hard time finding a good SS.

I would've liked an SS, but most people buy these cars to mod them anyways... so there you go.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok im too lazy to read the whole thread
but i had my first vert for only a year and LOVED it and wish i still had it sitting outside but honestly someone said if you had to convince yourself into one then you will proly not like it

buti never had many problems other than whats been listed and it was not that bad at all

1.some wind/exhaust noise (if you dont like it sell the car and buy some german **** wagon and you will never have to worry about noise)

2.it would leak from time to time but thats just b/c the doors were not shut properly at the time and this was only in high pressure car washes

3. the fuckwad who put out a marlbro red into my top while i was working was a real big problem! but thats another point you have to keep the top clean if it is not black just b/c it gets handprints and other small ****
Old 03-17-2006, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Am I the only one who has leaves all down inside the body panels? Too many friggin' trees around my house I know, but no one else has mentioned it.

Agree with 'once you start' comment, I will always have at least one convertible car.

As for the stereo...my bass is provided by Dynomax.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Leaves in the body panels? How the hell does that happen??
Old 03-17-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chas1
I've owned both a T-top Camaro and now my WS6 vert. I use the vert top a lot more than I took the T-tops off. Maybe I'm just lazy but I prefer the vert. Mine's not a daily driver but here in Texas you can pretty much use them every month of the year.
Exactly! I love having the top down. Sunny and over 50* and it is off. I like being able to drop the top at a stoplight if the urge hits (likewise it goes back on in 20 seconds if rain suddenly appears). T-Tops require handling and when you carry them, the trunk becomes useless. T-Tops are nice, but a convertible gives a very open feeling; it just is not the same experience. Go drive each and compare. The best thing about T-Tops is having a glass top in winter. I like that part better than my drop top.

For a pure race car, skip the vert (and skip the T-tops) and go hard top. You save some weight and have a stiffer structure. But a mid 11s drop top is very nice. Add FI like cablebandit and you can goes 10s or faster.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:53 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

One thing I remembered about T-Tops on my Grand National was the buffeting. On that car at least you had a serious cabin resonance at highway speeds if the tops were out. I basically took them out once a year because I felt I should but I never really enjoyed them. I also had to stop, get them out of the trunk and put them back in where the convertible roof could start rising just before I even halted and I never have to get out of the seat to put the roof up. I wound up using the T Tops as a skylight only.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Launching!

there are some vert haters here. anyway, I've owned t-tops and vert f-bodies and I like the vert more. It is way better when it is nice out, and I have no leaks in it. My t-tops leaked like none other. PLus, top down, verts look better i think.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnotherScreenName
Am I the only one who has leaves all down inside the body panels? Too many friggin' trees around my house I know, but no one else has mentioned it.
I have that problem too. My neighbors tree seems to drop leaves all year long. Nothing the shop vac can't take care of.

And as Ragtop 99 says mid 11's with the top down really kicks ***.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you have to do is hit a button and the top goes down and up as you please. No unlocking the t's and getting out of the car to put them in the rear. Same goes for install.

All I know, here in Western NC on a mid 70deg day on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the spring with the top down is...... PRICELESS!!

My car is also not a daily driver. That plays a big role in decisions.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

I picked a vert because I don't really like hatchbacks. I used to have a 91 TA with t tops that leaked(even after I put in new seals) So that was also another clincher for the convertible. Also as metioned the hassle of taking the t tops off and putting them in the back and such, compared to flipping 2 latches and pushing a button on a convertible.

On a warm sunny day...

t top < conv
Old 03-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

AAAAAHHHH, Convertible SS, what a ride! I really love mine. I've ridden all of them. My personal choice is convertible. My convertible might be heavier than the other non verts but I can't tell the difference as far as the power. I have the 6 speed. There is something about going slow or fast in a vert it doesnt matter. As far as a sound system, I will put mine up with the rest of them. The subs hit ( I can make the whole car shake) very nice, its loud, and clear. I don't turn it up that loud myself. Most people won't use the loudness of this system and I spent very little in my opinion. Its not a complex system.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Well...i suppose Ill add my .02 This is my 3rd F-body that I have owned, a 1999 Z28 convert. previously I owned a 1986 IROC (hard top) and a 1992 Aniversry T-top....So Ive owned all of them and they were all fun cars.

The IROC was ok.....but shortly after owning this, I wanted one with T-tops. Then I purchased the '92 with T-Tops..now this was pretty fun, I was lucky to have one that didnt leak, no noise from it (when tops were on). Downfall of them... the time it takes to remove/replace them and reduced space in trunk when they are removed. I live in WI, so i couldnt leave them at home(as the saying goes...if you dont like the weather here...wait 5 minutes!). Now I have a 1999 Z28 convertible and this just cant be beat....2 handles and 20s later top is down...and vice/versa.

Basically it all comes down to personal prefrence.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

SS Vert here...
Gone from hardtop to T-top and now vert.

Really all about preference and climate. Always wanted a vert myself, especially since I moved to San Diego
Old 03-20-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 236 Likes on 187 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'll throw my 0.02c:

I've always loved 'verts. 1st 'vert was a '70 Cutlass Supreme. LOVED the looks, lots of complements, but wow, what a rattler, and noisy. Had to sell that for a '92 LeBaron 'vert to please the wife (I refused to let her drive the Olds in the winter), nice looking car too, very quiet w/ the double insulated 'vert top. But as soon as wife became an ex, the LeBaron was sold for a '94 Z28 'vert M6, which I loved. Very quet and solid compared to the Olds. But when the '98 WS6s became available, the Z28 had to go.

WHY buy a 'vert? Because you CAN! Unlike back in the '60s, not every car comes in a 'vert body style. And up 'til the '98s, a 'vert meant some form of compromize was made at the factory (ex: No 5-sp 'verts in the 3rd gen f-bods, no 5.7L 3rd gen f-bod 'verts either, even in '97 when WS6/SS was first offered in 'vert, the wheels were 16" compromizes). All that changed in '98.

A couple of questions to help decide: Would you take a SS coupe over a Z28 'vert? (my answer would be get a SS 'vert, because you CAN). Would you take a Z06 over a C5/C6 'vert? (my answer would be, since the Z06 comes w/ a more powerful engine, I just might opt for the Z06 over the 'vert, but it'd be a hard decision for me to give up a 'vert, a C5 Z06 is questionable, a C6 Z06 would be a no brainer).

As far as livability, I don't see noise or leaks as downsides for 'verts (t-tops leak and are just as noisy). Rear visability w/ the top up is a downside, but w/ the top down (how I put the most miles on my 'vert), rear visibility is WAY BETTER than any t-top car. Push-button up/down convienence is a big plus over t-tops. Comfort? Too windy, put up the side windows. Too cold, crank the heater. Too hot, crank the A/C (am I the only one who blasts the A/C in hot weather w/ the top down??). Performance? 'Verts have only minor handicap in that area (although if I was going to road-race regularly, a 'vert would not be my 1st choice, but regardless of 'vert vs coupe, you will need to add a roll-bar for safety).
Old 03-20-2006, 12:25 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

got mine for 15k with 42k miles on it. i had never planned on buying it because i took my brother in law to go see it. it was for him but i ended getting it. the only thing i dont like is the sound system. i have a 00 ss vert.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

I love my vert! I had a 89' t-top it was fun, but to drop the top and roll (orgasm). Then again I live in sunny So. Cal so any time of year can be top down weather. Look at my shots in the photo gallery, top down on X-mas eve. Sound system I put a 12" sub in that little trunk along with an amp, my rear view mirrors vibrate when cranked. That will kill some road noise. Mines is not a daily driver either and it lives in the garage.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Another question to the vert owners. I saw that a few verts have a cover over the top when it's down-

Name:  DSC01140.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  46.1 KB

like the silver TA on the pic. Is this a stock cover ? If- is there a storage room for it in the car? How do you put it on- manual?

Last edited by Ruhrpott; 03-22-2006 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 236 Likes on 187 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Ruhrpott
Another question to the vert owners. I saw that a few verts have a cover over the top when it's down-

like the silver TA on the pic. Is this a stock cover ? If- is there a storage room for it in the car? How do you put it on- manual?

That is the factory-supplied 3-piece hard plastic top "boot". It's sturdy enough to sit on (as a parade car), and comes apart to fit in a leather(ette) bag and store in the trunk. The bag even has velcro to hold it to the trunk carpet and keep it from flopping around. All 'verts came w/ this boot & bag.

Also available is a 2-piece fiberglass tonneau cover from various aftermarket companies (RKS is one of them) that hides the entire rear seat area. It can be separated into 2 pieces and stored in the back seat (w/ it folded forward). My tonneau has carbon-fiber "blisters" behind the seats, but they are also available plain so it can be painted to match the car.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Vert is my choice also....both the wife and myself have one. My rule is with my 97 Anv. SS Convertible is that the top stays down and in the garage. Nice enough to drive with top down....I'm gone. If not it stays inside. Wife's 95 Z28 on the other hand is her daily driver to work and back (just turned 50k), spending nights in garage with SS. Owned T-Tops before, will never go back. Verts are just too much fun. Worried about wind and noise....get a Windstop to fit over rear seats. Hard covers painted to match also look nice. Couple photos (windstop photo from somewhere on the net).
Attached Thumbnails Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?-camarotcover-003.jpg   Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?-camarotcover-004.jpg   Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?-camarotcover-005.jpg   Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?-camarotcover-006.jpg   Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?-windstopup.jpg  

Old 03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ruhrpott
What is about maintenance and is the roof/hydraulics robust? As I posted in the international forum I will buy a WS6 TA 01-02 in June and ship it then to germany. I'm not sure if a vert is the right car for me- of course it's first choice on sunny days but I drive my car in winter too and maybe a T-Top is more robust as a vert?

Did any of the vert owner drive his vert in winter too?

hey man, i drive mine year round with no problem, and dont worry about the wieght factor, everyone blows that way out of perspective, just look in my sig and tell me that the 1/4 mile time i posted pretty much all stock is not impresive, especially when i raced my buddies 98 ss when i got that time and beat him by about a half a car length!!!! it all boils down to prefrence though, had to camaros with t-tops and i loved them just as much!!!!!

Quick Reply: Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?