Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted something that you don't see everyday. A lot of people have T-top T/A's and WS-6's around me I wanted something that stood out so when I park my car I don't have to wonder if its mine or not. I like to be different

I always get compliments when I roll up with the top down to get gas or when we pull into the mall. I'm still young (22) so having that kind of attention is nice. I'll eventually get a T-top maybe but right now this car is too much fun to drive, and just having the top down going 70MPH you don't need music. If you are only cruisin to listen to music you bought the wrong car.

And far as ugly with the top up...never heard that before with mine

Name:  DSC00896.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  298.5 KB

Last edited by BigT2002; 03-31-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to admit that my wife wanted a vert. so we bought it new, other people have told me it's a womens car. After 4 years of owning it I'm really happy with the T/A vert. I love the small back window, it's very private with the top up. It's also easier to get in to a vert. especially at 6' 2". No rattles in the hatch area like a T-top. And last of all they are SLEEPERS, most people think verts are slow until they race me I've beaten so many cars drag racing with the vert. it's to much fun.

I drive it with the top up and my wife drives it with the top down, it's a whole different looking car with the top up. I get many compliments too.

I love this car and plan on keeping it for a very long time.

With a vert, it's like owning two different cars, they look totally different with the top down.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

I bought my '98 SS in Jan. '05 for $11K and it had only 48K on the odometer. Better yet, I got it at a Chevy dealer so it was well inspected. I think buying it in January was part of the reason for the price.

I'd just like a point of view from someone who owns a convertible, how much nicer is it and why?
If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. There ain't nothing like a drop top.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
I want to buy an SS, first choice is convertible... I want to spend no more than $15,000 for a newer SS with under 50,000 miles. I'd just like a point of view from someone who owns a convertible, how much nicer is it and why? My buddy has an s2000 and LOVED convertible, I'd like to see why so much... it's hard for me to grasp considering it's maine winter here right now. Thanks
I was originally shopping for a t-top f-body, knowing I would take my time finding the right one. All along, I knew I had to have the 6 speed. Over time, I decided I much liked the look of the verts better. Also, the vert is much more convenient to open the top than the t-top. About a year and a half after I decided I wanted an ls1, I finally found the perfect one for me that you see in my signature. In 20,000 miles, there hasn't been one time that I wish I didn't have a vert. Top open or closed at the push of a button, and very stylish. That's my take.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Like it was said, it depends alot on what you are going to do with it, and how much you want to spend to do so. It's a bit cheaper and less worry to set up a racer on a hardtop or ttop. Also, a lot of aftermarket stuff doesn't fit verts. I find this out everytime I have to customize something to fit and it sucks. If you are just planning on staying stock and cruising, especially if you live in a warm place, then I'd say a convertible is the way to go. I love mine a lot more than my old LT1 hardtop.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

this thread is hella old...
Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you said "hella" ...
Old 02-15-2008, 03:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love my vert. I didn't realize just how much I did until I moved here to Germany and left it at home. There is nothing better than getting off after a long day and dropping the top and driving home. I daily drove mine in Louisiana for 4 years. Mine did not leak and it sat out exposed to the elements that whole time. If you don't garage it be prepared to replace the top every 5-7 years becuase it gets stretched out and will bulge up while driving down the highway. Mine needs to be replaced now. If you plan on modding your car it will be loud anyway so who cares about a vert being a little louder. I really couldn't tell that much of a difference between the noise let in on my buddy's t-top and my vert. As far as "needing" subframe connectors that's a lie. Half the people who say these stupidd things have probably never driven a vert.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive mine 365 days per year, no matter if it rains or snows.
I drive it open as much as possible and have a lot of fun! So much fun that's easy to forget all the negative sides of a vert (noise, body torsion, leaks...)
Old 02-15-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i get to drive mine maybe once or twice every two weeks (now it's gonna be more like once a month or so).
its a great feeling to get into it, start it up and drop the top for a drive.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Even though its an old thread ill throw my .02 in. I've had a T-top and two convertible fbodies. Although I did like the t-tops when I was searching for that third f body the convertible was my first choice. I absolutely love being able to drop the top whenever and cruising around in the warm weather.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
They are noisy, some leak, stereo doesn't sound as good, as it goes right through the top, they are ugly with the top up, and pretty ugly with the top down. They are heavy, SFC's are needed b/c of chassis flex, and SFC's are more expensive for verts.

Thats my POV.... Hard top would be my first choice.
funny coming from a guy with a t-top lt1 car.
on ls1 tech in the convertible section
Old 03-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Teching In

I am fortunate enough to own a convertible and a hardtop. I personally enjoy the vert more than the hardtop. i must be fortunate though, after reading thru all 5 pages of this thread, my vert must be an exception. It doesn't rattle or have windnoise. Yea the stereo isn't loud, but I am 45 and don't care if my stereo pisses other drivers off at redlights. And the most important thing, my WIFE enjoys driving it.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by turboelky
I am fortunate enough to own a convertible and a hardtop. I personally enjoy the vert more than the hardtop. i must be fortunate though, after reading thru all 5 pages of this thread, my vert must be an exception. It doesn't rattle or have windnoise. Yea the stereo isn't loud, but I am 45 and don't care if my stereo pisses other drivers off at redlights. And the most important thing, my WIFE enjoys driving it.
Well, mine doesn't rattle or have windnoise either and I don't see the stereo issue as that big of a deal either. I added a subwoofer box from a guy on here and with a set of Boston 8" and 500 Watts it seems to be fine with the top down.

I own two verts and wouldn't trade them for the hard top versions.

I do enjoy hard tops, but not of the ordinary kind tho....

Name:  P_00132.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  97.7 KB
Old 03-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Hey BDRUSSELL, you and I have a lot in common. I have a couple of old school hotrods myself, I will try to post some pics.
Name:  DSC01321.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  192.1 KB
Name:  DSC01502.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  36.6 KB
Name:  DSC01570.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  44.5 KB
Name:  AR005102.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  114.5 KB
Old 03-09-2008, 04:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wanted something different and love the top down...plus i actually love the smaller rear spoiler on a vert!!! I think it looks really good from the rear with the top down
Old 03-09-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

TurboElky.....

You have one of my favorite drop tops, that car is beautiful I started first looking for one when I came across the Cutlass, and the Camino is a perfect color combo and those wheels are perfect on it, my 15 year wants a Camino in the worst way, but he is going to have to settle for a 59 TBird that is waiting to be worked on.

They are what 66 or 67, and I would love to see more photos of both...

Here is the 59..... rough is about the only way to describe it, but free was good, you can see why it was free. Hoping I can pass on the love of real american iron to my 15 year old with it tho.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Convertibles make you look older. When you turn 65 you won't have to worry about getting an older person car. You'll already have one. Let's see, anything else? Oh, gives your hair that bedhead look that's so popular these days.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 AM
Launching!

cool-whip, you are crazy. People drool over my car.
Attached Thumbnails Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?-somss.jpg  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 AM
Launching!

oh, and by the way, post up pics of your car

Quick Reply: Why convertible over T-Top or Coupe?