The 98+ F-body convertible stereo thread - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

The 98+ F-body convertible stereo thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #21
TECH Addict

Another thing, IF you want to keep the Monsoon, you can add RCA AUX Inputs and iPhone/iPod Dock Connector with the USA-Spec PA11-GM45, I have it in my '01 SS 'vert & '02 RS Coupe Camaros and works pretty good:

http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=25

libertyforall1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #22

Default monsoon removal

umm simple question... i am new to my 1999 firebird, and i was wondering how to remove my monsoon factory head unit to install an auxiliary adapter for my iPod..... i have come to the actual removal of the head unit, but when i go to pull it out, it stops about half way like the wiring is short or something.... it is short enough that i cant just reach back there and remove the cables. it does the same thing with my heating and ac... i was wondering if anybody has had the same problem, and could help me out with it kind of step by step... id appreciate it!
Brandon Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #23
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Buck View Post
umm simple question... i am new to my 1999 firebird, and i was wondering how to remove my monsoon factory head unit to install an auxiliary adapter for my iPod..... i have come to the actual removal of the head unit, but when i go to pull it out, it stops about half way like the wiring is short or something.... it is short enough that i cant just reach back there and remove the cables. it does the same thing with my heating and ac... i was wondering if anybody has had the same problem, and could help me out with it kind of step by step... id appreciate it!
Search Jason Novak, he has a write up to help.
Carguy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
TECH Resident

I just realized how old this post is. It read my mind. My car is a non monsoon car. I upgraded my front speakers to Kicker dual cones & it is still not great. If i add an amp will it add any range or just make what I have louder?
Carguy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy8888 View Post
I just realized how old this post is. It read my mind. My car is a non monsoon car. I upgraded my front speakers to Kicker dual cones & it is still not great. If i add an amp will it add any range or just make what I have louder?
A bigger amp will generally just make what you have louder. To extend the frequency range that your system covers, better / different speakers are usually the key. Better tweeters to extend the high end, better woofers or subwoofer to extend the low end. EQ will help, but it can't overcome speaker deficiencies.
JohnnyBs98WS6Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #26

Default Could not find this anywhere

For those that just want to change the rear speakers to aftermarket ones with single positive and negative hook ups in your vert but keep the monsoon amp use this to wire them. I could not find this info anywhere. Emailed Keeaudio and this is what he sent back.

Hi,
For the rears it is easy. Just use the midbass portion of the 2 wires and cap off the other pair. This will give you fill range sound. Do not twist them together, they will sound horrible if you do that as they are 2 separate channels and cannot be combined.
That will do it!!
Ian Kee
wess99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #27
Teching In

Just picked up '00 Z28 'Vert. Sound system is TERRIBLE! It is the monsoon. What is that center vent on top of the dash? Is there meant to be a speaker in there? Also mine has a 12 disc changer in the trunk...how early 2000's of it...but the magazine is stuck. Any ideas on getting it out?
ShawnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #28
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
Interesting subwoofer option for verts post by "acarnut"
I took that site offline, so I'll just attach an image here for reference.

The top is 5/8" MDF, and the bottom is 14 layers of 'glass with wood reinforcement on the sides. The slot is 1"x7"x7".

It drops into the space freed up by the removal of the driver's side passenger seat, and is powered by an amp sitting under a false floor in the trunk.

The passenger seat back can be fully folded forward to hide it from prying eyes. Driver's seat travel is only slightly reduced.

My Z28 convertible is up for sale, so I'll probably leave this in as a deal closer.
acarnut is offline   Reply With Quote