Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Conv fabric peeling from rear window

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conv fabric peeling from rear window

Some of the vert fabric that is supposed to be sealed up on the rear window is starting to peel away. It is held in by an adhesive. Is there any way I can get some type of adhesive to put it back on?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

That was what I was going to try with my top and now I am buying a new one....

But I would try a tube of right stuff maybe or someother type of silcone adhesive. I wonder if the window adhesive they just used on my suburban would be a good choice.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bdrussell
That was what I was going to try with my top and now I am buying a new one....

But I would try a tube of right stuff maybe or someother type of silcone adhesive. I wonder if the window adhesive they just used on my suburban would be a good choice.
Ouch that not what I wanted to read!

I'm going to see if I can research this a little more, I might even try to contact a GM dealership and see what they would do.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, after I looked harder at my top, you can see that the stitching has come apart around most of the window and along the top you can see where it is starting to come appart. I was washing the car and wiped on the back window and it just popped all across the bottom. Mine being a 2000 is actually pretty good that it went 7 years my experience with past and current convt that I have owned is that a top is generally good from 5 to 7 years, 10 when I have really babied them by using a cover etc.

But the upohstlery that I use did say he has fixed camaro tops that have come apart at the glass and that they haven't come back so....you may be luckier than I. Richard was planning to fix it for me but looked at it and said nope you get to buy a top....
Old 06-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Here are some pictures describing what I have going on here.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, that is how mine started, then I push a bit on the window to clean it while washing the car and the whole thing came apart.

Looks like our cars were the same color combo by the way.

which brings up the questions, black or tan top. I tried a quick color top to black....

Last edited by bdrussell; 06-13-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Black top all the way, especially if you have a dark interior which it looks like you have. I would get a black top myself if I had to change to the top color.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I glued mine using some stuff that was recommended here in this forum and it's still holding up after over a year. I forgot what the stuff was called though.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

Did you have the back glass dark tinted ? I ask this because it has been my experience that when the people that do the tinting try to lay the tint too deep into the back glass & then trim with a razor blade they end up cutting into the thread stitching that holds the glass in place. It usually takes about 1 or 2 summers before it eventually rots away & the glass falls through the first time you put any pressure on it.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Launching!

welcome to the club... this has happened to many many members here, so dont feel alone on this one... search and youll find a lot of ppl discussing this. bottom line, if you are gonna try and glue it, whatever you try to do it with needs to be both strong and flexible. if not, it will break the bond whenever you put the top down and it generally wont last long
Old 06-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Did you have the back glass dark tinted ? I ask this because it has been my experience that when the people that do the tinting try to lay the tint too deep into the back glass & then trim with a razor blade they end up cutting into the thread stitching that holds the glass in place. It usually takes about 1 or 2 summers before it eventually rots away & the glass falls through the first time you put any pressure on it.
I actually did not tint the the windows at all on this car.

Thanks guys I'll see if I can dig a little deeper in this search. Whatever I do I will certainly post the results.

Quick Reply: Conv fabric peeling from rear window