Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Convertible Noises & Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Convertible Noises & Rattles

I feel like our convertibles are more prone to rattles than normal F-bodies are (and that is already a lot of rattling to begin with!). How about we post where we are having some rattling problems and what the situation of the rattle (or squeak, groan, clang, clunk....whatever) is and hopefully this can be a thread that can be a good resource for people searching for noises on their 'verts.

I currently have a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the rear. It is a metal to metal sound, and only seems to happen when the car is recently started cold. It happens at idle, and when driving very slowly (~ 5mph or reversing out). I think it may be exhaust related (I have a 3.8 V6 A4 by the way).

This other noise (and I think this one is more 'vert related than the previous noise). Comes when I am going over a bump. It happens only after the rear wheels hit the bump, and is very pronounced on bigger bumps (speed bumps). It sounds like it is coming from the rear, but I can feel the vibration of the bump through the floor board. I am wondering if it is the X-brace underneath.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i have a weird squeaking noise that sounds like it comes from the rear of the car when i go over bumps and also when i accelerate and let off if the car shakes a little it will make a squeaking noise. I have no idea what it is though
Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone ever get that *POP* when turning into/onto an uphill slope? That and my top latch is loose so it sounds like bolts rolling around when the top is down.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jesus, I have too many to list. I'm so ready to get a new daily driver so I don't have to hear my car everyday.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default I hate squeaks and rattles...

I have an odd noise coming from my drivers side behind the seat area, metal squeak, havent found it yet.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Fix one. Get or notice another one. That's the way it works for me. If I'm lucky I'll have a few days in a row of relative rattle, bump and bang free driving. Seems like everything is waiting in line - ready to make noise.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
i have a weird squeaking noise that sounds like it comes from the rear of the car when i go over bumps and also when i accelerate and let off if the car shakes a little it will make a squeaking noise. I have no idea what it is though
One thing that I remember trying on my friend's older car that had a rear squeak over a bump (Taurus) was for someone to push down on the trunk and somewhat "bounce" the car to see if the squeak appeared. Someone else would try to listen and pinpoint where in the rear it was coming from and then try to fix the problem.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Teching In

OK I think I have an idea of the clunk noise I posted earlier when going over bumps:

I think it is def the X-brace, and I think it is the driveshaft that is smacking it over those bumps. The V8 guys here have said when they accelerate hard that they hear a clunk. This could be because going WOT will squat the rear, having the same affect as going over a bump suspension-wise. I don't have that particular problem (), but I'm gonna try to get under my car soon and I'll post some results.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Default clunk?

With my stock suspension it looks like my exhaust is hitting one of my rear bars, see how flattened it is and even the rod is bent... think that would make a clunk?

BTW-I attached a pic but is does not show, whats up with that?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Todd,

I see the pic....WHOA!!! That's gotta be making some noise no doubt. Has your handling been compromised because of this? I've never see something like that from a stock exhaust; maybe your exhaust is sagging? I know some of the brackets are held on by rubber hangers so they might've sagged over time.

I found my small rattle as well.....where the S-pipe entered the rest of the I-pipe was loose. I pushed the pipe back in and retightened the clamp. No rattle!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Its stock if that means SLP (came the car) is stock?

Quick Reply: Convertible Noises & Rattles